Getting bank card PIN from phone/wallet theft?

Soldato
you wonder if she considered whether future employers would look favourably on her diatribe - post first and repent at leisure;
I'm sure the google AI employment app (like she could work for google) would prejudice against twitter/media presence

Man of Honour
just use your phone to pay for things. why even carry a wallet?
Phone doesn't act as ID, once in a blue moon Google pay decides it doesn't want to work, pay at pump needs a card and most importantly the tills in my local Tesco refuse to scan the club card barcode from my phone screen.

Soldato
Phone doesn't act as ID, once in a blue moon Google pay decides it doesn't want to work, pay at pump needs a card and most importantly the tills in my local Tesco refuse to scan the club card barcode from my phone screen.
Plus if WiFi is down, can’t use contactless.

This is why everyone needs to carry their physical cards with them

Man of Honour
Turn up the brightness to the max, should work, also, dont make it full screen, i think the system cannot handle oversized barcodes.
Tried it all, seems to be the older self service checkouts are a bit picky. The newer ones in the little Tesco around the corner have no problem with it.

Soldato
Probably depends on the whether phone screen is highly reflective & contrast - perhaps oled works better;

our gym has no wifi so people are often unable to bring up the bar code to get in.
I just carry the membership card which has the bar-code printed, similarly for tesco club card(just a mini-card, could put on keyring) , and usually just leave the phone in the car and carry a credit card into supermarket, and the written shopping list - luddite.

Soldato
Plus if WiFi is down, can’t use contactless.

This is why everyone needs to carry their physical cards with them
er no? The stored card connects to the Payment Entry Device via Bluetooth directly from the mobile to the PED. There is no data connection required from the phone to anywhere else

Associate
er no? The stored card connects to the Payment Entry Device via Bluetooth directly from the mobile to the PED. There is no data connection required from the phone to anywhere else

While it doesn't have to Wi-Fi and you are right about it being a Bluetooth connection from phone to PED, doesn't the PED need an internet connection in order to communicate with your bank and complete the transaction?

I remember getting caught out about a year or so ago buying lunch at Tesco. They were having internet problems and couldn't accept contactless payments IIRC. Though whether that meant actual internet trouble or internet trouble as a catch all term for IT problems I don't know.

Man of Honour
While it doesn't have to Wi-Fi and you are right about it being a Bluetooth connection from phone to PED, doesn't the PED need an internet connection in order to communicate with your bank and complete the transaction?

I remember getting caught out about a year or so ago buying lunch at Tesco. They were having internet problems and couldn't accept contactless payments IIRC. Though whether that meant actual internet trouble or internet trouble as a catch all term for IT problems I don't know.
AFAIK if they're setup for it then the PEDs store the transactions and then push them through once they're reconnected but this runs the risk of payments failing and the business having to shoulder that cost. Probably why it's a blanket cash only in a lot of places if their internet goes down.

Associate
AFAIK if they're setup for it then the PEDs store the transactions and then push them through once they're reconnected but this runs the risk of payments failing and the business having to shoulder that cost. Probably why it's a blanket cash only in a lot of places if their internet goes down
Makes sense. Thank you

AFAIK if they're setup for it then the PEDs store the transactions and then push them through once they're reconnected but this runs the risk of payments failing and the business having to shoulder that cost. Probably why it's a blanket cash only in a lot of places if their internet goes down.

This, many just won't run the risk of transactions failing so no internet means no validation.

You can imagine the scrotes on facebook "local tesco has no internet so they can't check your payment card, get round there now!!! with an old one and fill up on booze!!!11!"

Soldato
Soldato
maybe read the reddit & links

---

looks like there is a new security mechanism proposed

Read reddit? Yikes :D Santander are literally the most risk adverse place ever. It won't be as easy to do anything, even if they got into online banking.

Don't Santander use card readers now? If they don't, miles behind everyone else. Surely resolves all of this? I know they are doing huge digital reforms - but assumed this is standard these days.

I stopped banking with them years ago because they were so risk adverse.

Back
Top Bottom