Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Associate
more likely outcome. same with tablets. the market just isn't there in the same way it is with phones, and the reason to grab that market for google isn't there either, other than to stop people who buy apple watches, then buying apple phones if they had previously had android.
I don't understand Google hardware. Everyone seems to want pure Android software and 'the Pixel experience' so why don't they just make a really good, high end flagship that's on par with Samsung etc?

Up until the pixel 6, they always offered older hardware and were missing IP ratings, wireless charging and various other things that the others had, just seemed like a poor effort.
The Pixel 6 was getting there, if it wasn't for the 'meh - That'll do' approach they took on the modem and fingerprint sensor.

Given the money and engineers they have, why not dominate?

Associate
OP
I don't understand Google hardware. Everyone seems to want pure Android software and 'the Pixel experience' so why don't they just make a really good, high end flagship that's on par with Samsung etc?

Up until the pixel 6, they always offered older hardware and were missing IP ratings, wireless charging and various other things that the others had, just seemed like a poor effort.
The Pixel 6 was getting there, if it wasn't for the 'meh - That'll do' approach they took on the modem and fingerprint sensor.

One of life’s great mysteries.

Tbh, standards are that high these days and especially on sites like this that if it isn’t on par with the likes of Apple and Samsung it will get panned (and rightly so if it’s warranted). They need people to buy the things but everyone has their preferred brand to go for so to get someone to switch phones/ecosystems is impossible these days.

I’d like to say they are trying now but they sacked off the Pixelbook and are now going for tablets again (and going by comments on here, no-ones going to buy that because of previous efforts) so who knows what they’re thinking.

What do Samsung do in that situation?

Associate
What do Samsung do in that situation?
Try harder, like they use to in the old days, back when there was competition.

S20, S21, S22...such incremental updates because they have the majority of the market. This is coming from a Samsung fan :D

It's Apple's entire business model - do as little as possible for as much money each year, knowing the iFans will just wave their money on release day regardless. Samsung aren't quite as bad, there are at least some reasonable improvements but they're not trying as hard.

Try harder, like they use to in the old days, back when there was competition.

S20, S21, S22...such incremental updates because they have the majority of the market. This is coming from a Samsung fan :D

It's Apple's entire business model - do as little as possible for as much money each year, knowing the iFans will just wave their money on release day regardless. Samsung aren't quite as bad, there are at least some reasonable improvements but they're not trying as hard.
Yeah but then what do Google do once samsung do this? Serious question. I get your point, but it if Google try and be the Samsung for android phones, then Samsung get screwed. Do they put more money in to R&D? Do they build their own os, or start pushing harder away from android? Not that it will work, but it could happen and that's an issue for android.

The incremental update isn't due to competition so much any more, but more because the market is mature and done now. There simply isn't anything left to do. Remember when a new phone came out and now it had multi touch. Or a camera on the front. We're done with any major improvement. There simply aren't anything left to do but tweak things to make them a little bit better.

In my view Google are getting pixel wrong. They should at the same time release a flagship standard, flagship Pro, and flagship basic version, pricing approx £1000, £790, £590.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have no idea what people do with phones... Are they cracking complex protein folding or something...

Back
Top Bottom