Associate
Coming this fall.

AE9-A147-F-FEF4-407-F-AC64-A1634157-DF44.webp

488-F9-BCD-9053-4-EFF-9608-893-BE879-A65-E.jpg

AD719-E08-C60-D-4-B42-A898-B27-FCA205145.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I love the fact they've doubled down on the camera setup. Would have been typical Google to give up on it after just the one phone.

While I'm not sure you're going to get many people switching from their iPhone/Apple watch combos, but at least now there is a full on compliment to those who like their Pixels but have had to use a different brand watch.

Associate
OP
More G2 spec leaks:

Looks like they're keeping the same CPU cores as the first Tensor chip. Was hoping they would at least up the A76 to the A78. X1 I'm completely fine with since the X series are overkill anyway. The A76 is 100MHz faster while the X1 is 50MHz faster, so some peak CPU performance improvement but a tiny one. GPU side it's switching from the Mali-G78 to the G710, which should be a big boost in GPU performance. That combined with using Samsung's 4nm LPE should mean the chip will throttle less (which is the current issue holding Tensor back) which means with long term usage (eg gaming) it might actually perform significantly better overall compared to Tensor.

Other changes is improved TPU, improved video encoding decoding (Tensor currently uses a Google decoder for AV1 and Samsung for older codecs), and improved ISP. And of course, a newer Samsung modem. Whether it will be a big improvement which hopefully matches the Qualcomm alternative we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for this-very useful.

Associate
OP
I don't understand Google hardware. Everyone seems to want pure Android software and 'the Pixel experience' so why don't they just make a really good, high end flagship that's on par with Samsung etc?

Up until the pixel 6, they always offered older hardware and were missing IP ratings, wireless charging and various other things that the others had, just seemed like a poor effort.
The Pixel 6 was getting there, if it wasn't for the 'meh - That'll do' approach they took on the modem and fingerprint sensor.

Given the money and engineers they have, why not dominate?
One of life’s great mysteries.

Tbh, standards are that high these days and especially on sites like this that if it isn’t on par with the likes of Apple and Samsung it will get panned (and rightly so if it’s warranted). They need people to buy the things but everyone has their preferred brand to go for so to get someone to switch phones/ecosystems is impossible these days.

I’d like to say they are trying now but they sacked off the Pixelbook and are now going for tablets again (and going by comments on here, no-ones going to buy that because of previous efforts) so who knows what they’re thinking.

Associate
OP
I've got no issues with anyone saying they won't buy the watch because it isn't aesthetically pleasing to them and I guess Google will have no-one else bar themselves to blame when the lack of sales on the thing will have them stop producing any further iterations.

It was such a home run - round watch, thin bezels.

Sigh...

Associate
OP
I’m not sure if the fact that they’re giving the watch as a freebie is a good deal or it’s essentially saying it’s not worth a dime if they’re willing to give it away for free…

Associate
OP
I wouldn't count on it being a slick and polished device, knowing Google they will have cut corners somewhere.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking as well.

Like that’s not me saying that I don’t want the watch to succeed-we need viable competitors to the Apple Watch, but you don’t see Apple saying “Buy an 14 Pro, get a Series 8 for free” do you…

Just doesn’t fill me with confidence. But then again, it took until the Series 3 for Apple to get going with their watches so hopefully if they stick with it they can get to that point as well.

Associate
OP
Hope you’ve all ordered the Hazel version of the 7 Pro-absolute stunner.

One thing Google nail is their colour schemes For their devices imo.

Back
Top Bottom