Virgin Media Discussion Thread

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I pay £110 per month for this lot currently.

2 x V6 Boxes (360 update)
Land line
350Mb broadband
Max it TV with BTsports package

And that is with I believe £30-35 discount per month, so £110 per month overall.

Overall Broadband reliability is a trouble spot, I get perhaps 12-15 BB outages per year which is frustrating. Perhaps due to being in a high demand area although now I got Community Fibre in my area at least and they have 3gig speeds.

I believe the contracts up in April, do you guys reckon I should go Sky Q + Community Fibre 1gig or shop else where?

Once I tally up my packages with other providers and services it seems to hit around £90-120 anyhow so left wondering what to do.

Soldato
Is that just the default? Can you not split them when into the full options
Not that i can see no,Im not getting any 5Ghz broadcasted though that's the issue I'm having with the SH5 atm. lol

Apparently that Free hub5 link was just a pre-customer linked website and not for actual VM customers, did anyone get it free in the end?

I have, Received mine and I've been a customer since the early Telewest days. :D

Reactions: R3X
Associate
Received my SH5 this morning, easy quick swap and sets itself up nicely.

So far web pages seem more snappy to load, One thing I've noticed in the setting is for some reason you cannot change the name of the two different Wifi bands, On the SH3 you could name 2.4Ghz something different from the 5GHZ band so you can see them both when looking at wireless devices on your phone, But on SH5 it automatically names both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels the same name with the option to change the 5Ghz channel name greyed out.

Wonder why they have done this :confused:

EDIT - Appears like 5Ghz doesn't seem to be working for me, Its not showing up and running speed tests on my phone its clearly at 2.4Ghz speed.
Also,AIO pc and Laptop which are all 5Ghz capable are not showing a 5Ghz signal. Hopefully ill be able to get this resolved and i haven't got a dud. :/

If you change the name on the 2.4Ghz band in Advanced settings -> Wireless-> Security it then un greys out the 5Ghz band as well. Of course you need to get your 5Ghz working first...

Soldato
Apparently that Free hub5 link was just a pre-customer linked website and not for actual VM customers, did anyone get it free in the end?

Yup - got mine Friday and installed over the weekend. Works a treat, WiFi is noticeable better compared to the Hub 4.

I got declined first attempt and retried like a fair few others here, got approved 2nd time round and shipped out. :D

Soldato
If you change the name on the 2.4Ghz band in Advanced settings -> Wireless-> Security it then un greys out the 5Ghz band as well. Of course you need to get your 5Ghz working first...
You sir, Are a legend! :)

Now its working and showing up! Wonder why they did it like that, It wasn't like that on the SH3,Oh well now i know..thanks!

Wifi seems way better on the 5Ghz band on the laptop downstairs, Getting over 280mbps,Before on the SH3 it was around 60-80 at best.

Soldato
I pay £110 per month for this lot currently.

2 x V6 Boxes (360 update)
Land line
350Mb broadband
Max it TV with BTsports package

And that is with I believe £30-35 discount per month, so £110 per month overall.

Overall Broadband reliability is a trouble spot, I get perhaps 12-15 BB outages per year which is frustrating. Perhaps due to being in a high demand area although now I got Community Fibre in my area at least and they have 3gig speeds.

I believe the contracts up in April, do you guys reckon I should go Sky Q + Community Fibre 1gig or shop else where?

Once I tally up my packages with other providers and services it seems to hit around £90-120 anyhow so left wondering what to do.

That's not a good price for what you're paying! For comparison I'm getting the following:

3x 360 Boxes
Full TV with Movies & Sports
Landline with unlimited anytime calls (excluding international)
Gig1 internet
Unlimited O2 sim

Paying £112pm at present.

Even then, as much as I like Sky Sports F1, I don't watch the football and the movie channels are utter trash so I might cut the TV right back next time unless Virgin are willing to do some deals.

As for your issues, have you checked your power levels on the Virgin Community forum and also it may be worth having Virgin out to check the cable - we had an issue with ours a year or two back and it turned out there was a tiny slit in the cable which was barely visible - they replaced it and never had a problem since.

Last edited:
Permabanned
You sir, Are a legend! :)

Now its working and showing up! Wonder why they did it like that, It wasn't like that on the SH3,Oh well now i know..thanks!

Wifi seems way better on the 5Ghz band on the laptop downstairs, Getting over 280mbps,Before on the SH3 it was around 60-80 at best.

Laptop gets near 700mbps when in line of sight for me! Pretty good, though I mostly use it wired.

Soldato
Hello All,

I've just signed up for the Ultimate package (£79)

I have read if you cancel the O2 SIM within 14 days Virgin don't know and you end up with Ultimate Virgin for £56...not sure if it's true, or if its worth the risk but the bills are separate and the two companies are terrible at talking to each other... Anyone tried cancelling the Volt part of the deal?

Soldato
That's not a good price for what you're paying! For comparison I'm getting the following:

3x 360 Boxes
Full TV with Movies & Sports
Landline with unlimited anytime calls (excluding international)
Gig1 internet
Unlimited O2 sim

Paying £112pm at present.

Even then, as much as I like Sky Sports F1, I don't watch the football and the movie channels are utter trash so I might cut the TV right back next time unless Virgin are willing to do some deals.

As for your issues, have you checked your power levels on the Virgin Community forum and also it may be worth having Virgin out to check the cable - we had an issue with ours a year or two back and it turned out there was a tiny slit in the cable which was barely visible - they replaced it and never had a problem since.

£112pm sounds horrendous as well, is that full price, no discounts?

I managed quite recently to have Retentions offer me the exact same (2 TV boxes though, not 3) for £48.37pm. I pay O2 separately £6 for a SIM I use in my iPad, which netted me the Volt benefit and pricing she offered.

Soldato
£112 definitely includes discounts yes - £25 of that goes to O2 for an unlimited SIM though so the Virgin only part is £87.

£48.37 sounds way too cheap to include Gig1, full TV with sports and movies (£54.37 if you include the SIM) - even for new customers the Ultimate Volt bundle is £85 per month with 2 boxes - the 3rd box adds on an extra £7.50 from what I remember so that makes it £92 and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get them below £112.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
£112 definitely includes discounts yes - £25 of that goes to O2 for an unlimited SIM though so the Virgin only part is £87.

£48.37 sounds way too cheap to include Gig1, full TV with sports and movies (£54.37 if you include the SIM) - even for new customers the Ultimate Volt bundle is £85 per month with 2 boxes - the 3rd box adds on an extra £7.50 from what I remember so that makes it £92 and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get them below £112.

Yours is the much better deal still, I don't get any movies etc and you have the 3x faster bb and 3rd box for an extra 2 quid.

Yeah they have checked box etc, everything wire wise and power wise was fine its more of an high demand area causing the issue, they were till now the only main bb supplier in the street. Its one of the reasons why I may spread my wings.

See £48 or less is what I am hearing of late, there are some people just on insane deals like that, VM don't reward loyalty that is for sure.

Maybe we both have terrible haggling skills :cry:

Soldato
Yours is the much better deal still, I don't get any movies etc and you have the 3x faster bb and 3rd box for an extra 2 quid.

Yeah they have checked box etc, everything wire wise and power wise was fine its more of an high demand area causing the issue, they were till now the only main bb supplier in the street. Its one of the reasons why I may spread my wings.

See £48 or less is what I am hearing of late, there are some people just on insane deals like that, VM don't reward loyalty that is for sure.

Maybe we both have terrible haggling skills :cry:

I rang 4 different times to get that deal - the other 3 I spoke to offered anywhere between £114 and £136.

i registered for a hub 5, cant find an email confirming or anything in my account. Have i screwed something up, anywhere else i could maybe find the hub 5 request?

It should be in the My Orders section on the My Virgin Media portal if it went through. If it's not there, you might find it's been cancelled.

Soldato
was on £28.25 on broadband only 100MB was due to end next month and increase to £47 , love that you can do thinking of leaving and rententions on live chat now , I got deal for £26 for 100MB including 02 Sim 4gb data pretty happy already have the hub5 but always used my own router which is the RT-AX88U so put hub into modem only

doing speedtest actually getting 136mb down and 20mb up , which I was reading about 100MB and 200MB packages getting speeds increased

Last edited:
Soldato
So since getting my Hub 5 the other day, I finally got myself a swanky Anker 2.5Gb USB-C adapter which has just arrived! (my X570 mobo only has 1Gb :p)

I think it's safe to say it works well thanks to VM's over-provisioning on the profiling! Gained an extra 221Mb download, my previous best on the 1Gb NIC was 946Mb.

First result was on the Windows app, second is using Chrome. Happy days :)

enu8jGF.png

sRP87d6.png

Last edited:
Soldato

I know, why do you think I bit the lady's arm off at retentions? I was 100% set on moving away to a new altnet full fibre ISP in my area, 1Gb symmetrical for £45pm. But for £3 more I can keep all of the TV goodies, cinema and sports. Seemed a no brainer to stay!

There was a thread on HotUKDeals around July time, people achieved this same package with retentions for £39-42pm there was 4-5 people I saw post it. But I was firmly happy to leave, until I got this and just took it for obvious reasons.

lIRZBoP.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom