Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
You're running speedtest.net *on* the router? As in through the router's webUI, not from a local machine? That router has a single 2.5Gbps port, so I assume that's the one connected between the router and Hub 5? Your post wasn't clear. You'll still be limited to gigabit (i.e. 940Mbps) on any local client due to the rest of the ports being gigabit.
Yea, I was running the speed tests through the routers webUI, i also have the wan port set to use the 2.5Gb port.

I might order another cat6 cable to rule that out, its just a pitty that SamKnows real speed doesnt seem to work for me or id test the connection directly to the Hub5.

Cheers for the replies mate

Soldato
Yea, I was running the speed tests through the routers webUI, i also have the wan port set to use the 2.5Gb port.

I might order another cat6 cable to rule that out, its just a pitty that SamKnows real speed doesnt seem to work for me or id test the connection directly to the Hub5.

Cheers for the replies mate
Most likely a CPU issue on the router itself. It's one thing to forward packets using an ASIC at line rate, another to process a gigabit of packets in software for a speedtest.net run on a single or dual core MIPS or whatever it is. The SamKnows tests will only work in router mode on the Hub, it's always been that way. When you enable modem mode, you lose that. Since you can't pass through the 2.5Gb to the LAN (not to a single client, anyway) have you considered removing the router and just running directly from the Hub 5?

Soldato
Most likely a CPU issue on the router itself. It's one thing to forward packets using an ASIC at line rate, another to process a gigabit of packets in software for a speedtest.net run on a single or dual core MIPS or whatever it is. The SamKnows tests will only work in router mode on the Hub, it's always been that way. When you enable modem mode, you lose that. Since you can't pass through the 2.5Gb to the LAN (not to a single client, anyway) have you considered removing the router and just running directly from the Hub 5?
Just doing that now on the back of you mentioning it.

I get this reply from the site "RealSpeed can’t connect to your router right now, We have lost connection to the measurement software inside your router. Try again a bit later".

Typical

Edit
-------
Okay so now its working and this is the result from it...

Not exactly great to say the least, although a lot lower than what i get via the asus router

Last edited:
Soldato
That doesn't seem right at all. Try a normal speedtest from your desktop (wired) and see what you get. Preferably, use the speedtest.net app rather than a browser, which can affect the result in and of itself.

Associate
Seemed to work fine for me both wired and on laptop, so the router report is independent of device

I am only using hub5 at the moment whilst I await my new router, seems to add a bit of latency, though of course I can't control what is going on in the house at peak times.

I do have my Wifi stuff on my AX3s routers at the moment, not tested anything on them wired as wired stuff is on a separate network but my laptops Wifi5 connection is showing plenty of pace.

Desktop

samknows-desktop.png

Laptop

samknows-laptop.png

If you go on your check stats page, you will see the download speed the router is configured for, here is my gig1 download rate, does yours say that.

vmdownloadspeed.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What NIC’s you all buying for your PC to get maximum speed from the 1GB package? I had a quick look and some of these NIC’s are priced silly.

Soon my renewal will be coming up. I will shoot for a cheaper price or stay similar price and go 1GB line.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
That doesn't seem right at all. Try a normal speedtest from your desktop (wired) and see what you get. Preferably, use the speedtest.net app rather than a browser, which can affect the result in and of itself.
I ran the test a few times more and it seems to have settled at 1145 on the Router side (Hub5) but the internal network side even though I'm wired to my gaming PC was pretty low (350Mbs max).

As i was getting fed up I reverted (for now) back to Modem Mode and checked for ethernet drivers and after updating them I'm getting a pretty solid speeds; FAST.com was around 600 to 800 is now 1 to 1.2Gbs and Speedtest.net is around the 940Mbs mark (this started fast and trailed off before the driver update).

Tomorrow ill check again with the Hub5 in Router mode on Samknows with these updated drivers

Thanks for the help!
If you go on your check stats page, you will see the download speed the router is configured for, here is my gig1 download rate, does yours say that.

vmdownloadspeed.png
Yea mine is exactly that :)

Associate
What NIC’s you all buying for your PC to get maximum speed from the 1GB package? I had a quick look and some of these NIC’s are priced silly.

I have cheapo sub 30quid realtek in both pcie and usb3 for laptop and other machine when I want to connect to NAS at 2.5, all work perfectly, I also have dual Intel x550 10Gb in my NAS and workstation for 20Gb smb3 multichannel goodness to NAS NVMe, not so cheap....

Yea mine is exactly that :)

ah, sounds like your are getting somewhere though.

Associate
Thanks

With bundling, I was just meaning whether it was a smooth experience. I don't want to save a few pounds a month, only to be on the phone with them and the other companies involved in the bundle constantly, asking for different services to be sorted.

My first sign up was smooth at you like, no issues porting in from another network (phone and mobile) into Virgin etc.

On my re-up, not so smooth, the mobile phone port from Virgin to O2 did not work via web form, my missus was worried she would loose her number as Virgin set a cancellation date and said that I did not want to take my number with me, not the case.... this took me an hour or so to get my PAC from Virgin as it was locked, then another hour or so to get O2 to action it after the web form failed twice, all fine now but it is the first time in years I have ever had trouble porting networks, I switch loads because i'm a tight arse :D

I'd imagine my first experience is the typical one and my last is an outlier.

Soldato
My virgin media contract comes to and end on Feb 7th, not sure I can get a better deal, it's going up to £67 a month from 28.

Got gig1 with o2 volt and all the TV channels bar sports. Struggling to find any better deals

Associate
My virgin media contract comes to and end on Feb 7th, not sure I can get a better deal, it's going up to £67 a month from 28.

Got gig1 with o2 volt and all the TV channels bar sports. Struggling to find any better deals g
Give notice in ur contract, you will be offered the same price again probably in a few days when they ring you up

Soldato

Got gig1 with o2 volt and all the TV channels bar sports. Struggling to find any better deals

Definitely give notice to cancel, hold for a call back. I posted this a few months back, Gig1 broadband, 2x TV boxes all channels including sports & cinema for £48pm + my O2 SIM cost (£8pm) which I pay separately to O2 (having the O2 SIM already them to discount it further, and costs me less having an O2 SIM direct).

I’d given notice to cancel, they rang back around a week later. She offered it for around £55pm initially, then I wouldn’t budge and she added an extra £7pm ‘manager discount’ she had to get approved. Making it the £48pm odd figure. Worth a go if not in contract :)

I was already paying £74pm on a Mates Rate deal someone from here had sorted for me early last year. I noticed new customers it was £85pm odd now. But the contract had lapsed and I wasn’t paying £130 odd a month for it lol.

Soldato
I worked out why I was only getting 930Mbs to the router, it was along the lines with what you were saying. I didn’t realise that Port 1 on the Hub5 was only 1Gb, after connecting it into Port 4 the speed to my ASUs Router is now spot on…

Soldato
Yup the big red sticker on port 4 that says 2.5Gb might be the giveaway its the one to use :)
Yea there was that lol, but… in my defence it sits in a cupboard and it’s only been used for M350 and M500 so I never took notice of the port. I can’t turn it around either to check hehe :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Great, thanks for the feedback. Now just to wait and see if this engineer will miraculously restore the line to the minimum guaranteed...
So, turns out that my plusnet 80/20 fibre service has been capped at half the speed for the 6 months I've been contracted with them.

Uncapped by engineer, it looks like they are now achieving ~55, just under the quoted Min Guaranteed Speed of 57.9mbps.

Not sure if I'll be able to extricate myself from the contract now and move to Virgin without penalty. But would appreciate any advice folks might have about whether I should keep pushing to be compensated or released, and how best to do so.

Remains to be seen whether the regular evening disconnections persist.

Soldato
Definitely give notice to cancel, hold for a call back. I posted this a few months back, Gig1 broadband, 2x TV boxes all channels including sports & cinema for £48pm + my O2 SIM cost (£8pm) which I pay separately to O2 (having the O2 SIM already them to discount it further, and costs me less having an O2 SIM direct).

Nice will do, the second box is it as messy as the main box that connects to the router? I hate all the coax cable mess.

Permabanned
Just had to register a total loss of service. Haven't even been with them for month n a bit.

No service back online after 2 hours.
Engineer booked.

meh.

Edit: Engineer cancelled, service now back online. Downtime 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom