Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Do VM do deals with existing phone contracts too? Like I have a full on O2 refresh contract
Yes that's what I mentioned, they have discounts available for existing O2 customers. The woman told me when doing mine it equated to a £25pm discount supposedly on the top Internet/TV bundle I had.

Right - wriggled off the hook with Plusnet.

So, situation is:
  • new customer
  • partner is an O2 customer
  • keen for top speeds where possible
Is the best approach to get lowest price calling them, or do they not get much wiggle room?

Strange thing I noticed tonight: Virgin Media's postcode checker is reporting no availability in our area. I literally checked at the weekend and it was offering everything. Slap bang in the middle of London too. Pretty sure our neighbours are on Virgin too but their address shows as unavailable too. Surely they can't have binned the service for new customers in the last two days? Looks like it affects every postcode so perhaps maintenance or issue they'll fix.

Last edited:
Right - wriggled off the hook with Plusnet.

So, situation is:
  • new customer
  • partner is an O2 customer
  • keen for top speeds where possible
Is the best approach to get lowest price calling them, or do they not get much wiggle room?

Strange thing I noticed tonight: Virgin Media's postcode checker is reporting no availability in our area. I literally checked at the weekend and it was offering everything. Slap bang in the middle of London too. Pretty sure our neighbours are on Virgin too but their address shows as unavailable too. Surely they can't have binned the service for new customers in the last two days? Looks like it affects every postcode so perhaps maintenance or issue they'll fix.
You could sign up through uswitch/moneysupermarket/moneysavingexpert for M500 at £38/month. Then get the Volt benefits applied to get Gig1 (it should get automatically applied within a couple of weeks but you can speed that up by contacting either O2 or Virgin). That's what I did when I signed up. You'll probably get either a Hub 4 or 5, although there might be a shortage of Hub 5's at the moment?

Reactions: R3X
Looks like they migrated from Vodafone to O2 behind the scenes recently and have now confirmed they will officially move customers from Virgin Mobile to O2 directly.

What NIC’s you all buying for your PC to get maximum speed from the 1GB package? I had a quick look and some of these NIC’s are priced silly.

Soon my renewal will be coming up. I will shoot for a cheaper price or stay similar price and go 1GB line.

I've got a couple of Intel X540-T2 cards which can be picked up relatively cheap from the bay.

Note that these only support 10Gb speeds, not 2.5Gb or 5Gb.

I've got a couple of Intel X540-T2 cards which can be picked up relatively cheap from the bay.

What do you mean they only support 10gb speeds? I mean would it work for the purposes of getting the max speed out of the 1gb virgin line?

Looks like they migrated from Vodafone to O2 behind the scenes recently and have now confirmed they will officially move customers from Virgin Mobile to O2 directly.

I got changed from virgin mobile to O2 when I redid my deal in August for phone, mobile, broadband and tv - will be leaving them in August this year as BT and City Fibre have both put fibre outside the house in the last couple of months.

Can I just check, im already on Virgin 512mb, if I get an o2 sim only say 150GB contract, do I just link the 2 accounts together and get the 1Gb connection and 300GB on my mobile ?

Yep it should be as easy as that. Check out the FAQs at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
What do you mean they only support 10gb speeds? I mean would it work for the purposes of getting the max speed out of the 1gb virgin line?

They only do 10Gb or 1Gb, so long as you have a 10GB capable switch in between your router that can take 2.5Gb and 10G you are golden.

What he said basically.

It's about the protocols the card supports. 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb and 10Gb are all separate protocols which have to be supported and negotiated between equipment. The X540 will only negotiate 1Gb and 10Gb so if you connect it directly to a 2.5Gb port such as the one on the Hub 5, the link will fall back to the lowest common denominator of 1Gb.

The X550-T2 does support 2.5 and 5Gb speeds but costs significantly more.

Last edited:
What he said basically.

It's about the protocols the card supports. 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb and 10Gb are all separate protocols which have to be supported and negotiated between equipment. The X540 will only negotiate 1Gb and 10Gb so if you connect it directly to a 2.5Gb port such as the one on the Hub 5, the link will fall back to the lowest common denominator of 1Gb.

The X550-T2 does support 2.5 and 5Gb speeds but costs significantly more.

Thanks guys. Makes sense. So as mentioned a switch could solve the problem. But last I checked a 10gb switch ain't cheap either :cry:

Only problem i had with the X540-T2 is significantly increase boot time. Got some Asus 10gbit cards to replace were about the same price on the bay(and also support 2.5/5 etc). And switch wise I found on the bay dell switches with 10gbit addon cards were by far the cheapest if not the biggest pita (and again only support 10gb or 1gb nothing inbetween)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom