**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Mines up mid March, as I had to wait for one of Samsung signature colour phones.

Sadly I'll be renewing as the daughter watches stuff on Disney. I did preempt the renewal, and last year bought a 12 months code online, fingers crossed its legit and works. Only £25 down the drain if it doesn't. I'll be grumbling if I have to pay full price for it tho

Soldato
Am I the only one that thinks Samsung is taking the weewee?

Initial looks, and it seems to be the smallest upgrades in history.
£1.2k and it looks exactly like last year's model, and the camera upgrade and SOC certainly isn't worth the upgrade (for me), when the S22U is currently still a fantastic phone.

For me personally, I never use the 108MP camera, as the other lenses do a great job and offer much better flexibility, let alone trying to share 40MB photos.

The Exynos chipset seems to be doing great also (I'm not a phone gamer) , no issues here, and battery life is good enough also.

Certainly not enough 'upgrade' for me to be throwing hundreds £ at Samsung.

I'll see what happens next generation, thanks :)

Man of Honour
I never use the 108MP camera
You never take a photo with the normal wide angle camera but instead always use ultra wide or telephoto for everything? This is impossible to believe. Normal shots taken with the normal camera mode are always taken with the 108MP sensor, even when taken using other app's built in camera features. The 108MP sensor is then binned down to 12MP to get the image quality we see in the saved file. So whilst you may not be using it in 108MP mode (nobody should really, same as the 200MP mode), you are always making use of the pixel binning feature which now appears to be better than on the 108MP sensor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Am I the only one that thinks Samsung is taking the weewee?

£1.2k and it looks exactly like last year's model, and the camera upgrade and SOC certainly isn't worth the upgrade (for me), when the S22U is currently still a fantastic phone.

For me personally, I never use the 108MP camera, as the other lenses do a great job and offer much better flexibility, let alone trying to share 40MB photos.

The Exynos chipset seems to be doing great also (I'm not a phone gamer) , no issues here, and battery life is good enough also.

Certainly not enough 'upgrade' for me to be throwing hundreds £ at Samsung.

I'll see what happens next generation, thanks :)
It'll be on some silly deal in a few months at half price. It's really boring.

Soldato
I think Samsung are trying to pull an Apple on the flock. :D

I mean it's not as if they've even tried to hide the minimal upgrades behind a new design or exterior, to make it 'look' new!

I suppose time will tell in the sales figures, whether they can pull it off.

Man of Honour
Snapdragon in the UK is reason enough for many. It's just more efficient so battery should last even longer and also means updates should be even quicker intervalled because there's no need to stagger releases between Exynos and SD markets any more. Also no difference in camera between markets either as SD version had different processing in the past when comparing side by side.

Associate
I agree. I would be tempted if the cost to change from my 256GB S22U was a couple of hundred quid, but not at over £600.

Man of Honour
Never thought I'd be saying this but the 8K video especially at night actually looks really really good... Just a shame you can't switch between lenses whilst recording. At least you can do all that in 4k60 now though and in HDR too.

Last edited:
Associate
Never thought I'd be saying this but the 8K video especially at night actually looks really really good... Just a shame you can't switch between lenses whilst recording. At least you can do all that in 4k60 now though and in HDR too.

I find the inability of my S22 Ultra to switch between lenses in 4k60 mode really annoying. Glad this is resolved.

I've ordered the S23 Ultra but still unsure if I should go Pixel 7 Pro. The exploding glass thing is one of the only things tithing /turning me off that.

Man of Honour
Hold the phone, I've seen one video so far where they state that changing lenses at 4k60 is not possible still - Whether this is review software or not remains to be seen but it's definitely possible with software updates as the S22 Ultra had lens limitations in various video modes too but were later unlocked with software updates - I suspect if it is the case at launch then the same will apply to S23 updates over the months.

Soldato
I am so weak, I can't believe myself.

Camera, battery, chipset etc... all those teeny tiny upgrades, and I've just thrown my S22 Ultra at Samsung for a trade in against the S23 Ultra.

I've gone straight for the black colour this time, obviously the 512Gb 'free' upgrade model, that's just cost me £575. In the few minutes of madness that got me this far I couldn't find a usable discount/ referral code, so I've just gone for the trade in and an accessory for the extra 10% discount.

I may yet still send it back, but I've buckled to the hype train, shame on me.. :D

Back
Top Bottom