• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
Wouldn’t disagre with any of that. Whilst I’ve not tried the
Strix OC, it seems like whichever 4090 you go with you are sacrificing something. Be it coil whine, fan noise/whine, short warranty, etc.
Seems only fair as the resident 4090 tester you get a Strix oc aswell to add to your collection?

Soldato
OP
ive never had a card make more noise than the system fans

Yep and I think that's a lot of the reason why a lot of people think there card doesn't show coil whine. If you have a silent PC it can be really annoying. All depends on the games you play, cinematic games with quiet scenes can be ruined some what. Usually a bit of music drowns it out.

Associate
ive never had a card make more noise than the system fans

What size are your system fans and what speed and how many?

I myself have 4 BeQuiet SW3 at 1000 RPM each plus 2 1000 RPM 120mm and 135mm on Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler.

System not whisper quiet but very quiet for sure.

DO you think the ones who hear no coil whine have fans that are much louder than just 1000 RPM?

My new Giga Gaming OC is better, but well maybe not really compared to the other Giga Gaming OC 4090s I have tried. Still emits too much whine, though all like that. Though certainly quite a bit better than Asus Strix and even a little better than PNY regarding coil whine.

And I tame the whine a but especially at less than 100 FPS by undervolting and downclocking to 2235 reference based speed and not letting it boost. Though it is still there.

Soldato
OP
I have my case fans (bequiet lightwings) at 750rpm and they are inaudible.

It's going to be an option for me to raise them on higher workloads.

Gigabyte is going back Monday. New Suprim arriving tomorrow at a great price. If coil whine is all that matters get a Gigabyte, if its a balence of all features Suprim IMO

Soldato
I didn't realise it was a favourable thing to have loud case fans to disguise other noise.
It wouldn't matter if my case fans were on maximum. The buzzing from the cards I've had are completely different frequency and are audible from another room.
As it stands, I run my case fans at 650 which is inaudible.

Associate
What size are your system fans and what speed and how many?

I myself have 4 BeQuiet SW3 at 1000 RPM each plus 2 1000 RPM 120mm and 135mm on Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler.

System not whisper quiet but very quiet for sure.

DO you think the ones who hear no coil whine have fans that are much louder than just 1000 RPM?

My new Giga Gaming OC is better, but well maybe not really compared to the other Giga Gaming OC 4090s I have tried. Still emits too much whine, though all like that. Though certainly quite a bit better than Asus Strix and even a little better than PNY regarding coil whine.

And I tame the whine a but especially at less than 100 FPS by undervolting and downclocking to 2235 reference based speed and not letting it boost. Though it is still there.
7 noctua 140mm fans at 600-1000 rpm

Soldato
Wouldn’t disagre with any of that. Whilst I’ve not tried the
Strix OC, it seems like whichever 4090 you go with you are sacrificing something. Be it coil whine, fan noise/whine, short warranty, etc.

Try the Zotac Trinity. I get no coil wine, full performance, and a decent warranty.

Soldato
OP
I have no problems with fan noise. Note that I have the base model, not the higher power models.

Yeah I believe the highest model has a larger center fan, no idea if that makes a difference. Ive heard lots of people complain about them but also heard a few with perfect fans. Like anything unfortunately a bit of a lottery. Someone mention Zotac were planning on sending out replacements at delivery cost, not sure if that ever happened.

Associate
Virtually no coil whine on my 4090 FE in an O11D XL when OC'd and on standard fan curve (virtually silent). Case is mostly behind the TV, and I haven't stuck my head close to it while it's benching to try to find it, but it's way quieter than my 3090 FE, and that's after the coil whine on that has reduced in intensity over its lifetime.

Very happy with the result.

Memory OC a bit average on my example though. 1500 if its warm, but have to use 1400 otherwise it artefacts initially.

Will put it under a Watercool or Optimus block in due course.

Associate
I returned Gaming OC Gigabyte 4090 and now got a Gigabyte 4090 Windforce on the way.

Hoping whine is much less.

They all have some VRMs, but difering number of inductors.

Windforce has the least amount of inductors, so hoping less inductors means less whine.

I have heard Master is worse for whine than Gaming OC and it has more inductors so maybe same applies here.

Where as Tuf and Strix use different VRMs and even though Tuf has less inductors than Strix, it seems to have reports of much worse whine though they both have reports of it bad but Tuf is worse usually on the 4090s

Last edited:
Associate
Im still trying to decide which 4090 to get for a new build But from reading this thread i should just try them all, get a new one each week.
Anyway my question is, ignoring coilwhine for now is one 4090 better performancewise than the rest, better pcb etc, im going to watercool the cpu so might as well do the gpu too so which brand is better to wc? I dont mind pay more for a better bord but if the price difference is just for the better cooler it seems silly to not just get the cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom