• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
because (Jensen+shareholders) ^ greed = LOL@consumers.

If the market was beyond flooded then yes your right. But market is by no means flooded and in fact still a little short though it is better.

Does NVIDIA really want supply so limited to be like the insane scaler price days of the 1 to 2 years ago severe chip shortage??
I mean yeah they want profit, by I do not see Intel nor AMD intentionally creating a shortage of Intel Core i9 1390Ks nor 7950X CPUs to inflate scalpers like when it was real 1.5 to 2 years ago for AMD Ryzen 5900X and 5950X CPUs.

Why has NVIDIA allowed the chip shortage experience from 1 to 2 years ago to intentionally limit supply to much lower than demand to inflate prices above MSRP just because they know they can where as AMD and Intel and auto makers do not do the same thing once chip shortage got much less bad or even ended?

Last edited:
Associate
If the market was beyond flooded then yes your right. But market is by no means flooded and in fact still a little short though it is better.

Does NVIDIA really want supply so limited to be like the insane scaler price days of the 1 to 2 years ago severe chip shortage??
I mean yeah they want profit, by I do not see Intel nor AMD intentionally creating a shortage of Intel Core i9 1390Ks nor 7950X CPUs to inflate scalpers like when it was real 1.5 to 2 years ago for AMD Ryzen 5900X and 5950X CPUs.

Why has NVIDIA allowed the chip shortage experience from 1 to 2 years ago to intentionally limit supply to much lower than demand to inflate prices above MSRP just because they know they can where as AMD and Intel and auto makers do not do the same thing once chip shortage got much less bad or even ended?
amd are also jacking up gpu prices so they are both as bad as each other, i also have no doubt if intel had a card in the same league they would be after their pound of flesh too

Associate
im sure if one of them did the other would soon follow suit, wait till a new coin comes out that gets mined on a cpu and boom off we go

Isn't that collusion and illegal though. It would be like companies price fixing or colluding to eliminate supply on purpose to drive prices up and thus ruin competition. I mean companies are allowed to do it on their own without the other because they make their own decisions but colluding to fix prices or limit supply on purpose is illegals is it not?

Soldato
OP
Dont need to bin graphics cards for performance, bin then for coil whine lol. Pretty sure most would notice silence a lot more than + 3%.

Wonder if my close to silent 4090 will be a collectors item lol.

Associate
4080 FE I have has pretty poor coil whine, anyone had the same? Anyone had luck opening an RMA for an FE coil whine?

I'm within 14 days.
If it’s that bad then I would. For the record, I had a 4080 FE that had absolutely no coil whine. I replaced it with a 4090 FE that does have coil whine.

If you’re within 14 days and got it from Best Buy is there any way you could exchange it for another card?

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
NVidia should just market it as Ti-NvITus, enhanced audio experience. For authentic ear ringing after gaming warzones. Then they could turn the complaints away saying "it's a feature"

Associate
Just tried the super glue method on a PNY GeForce RTX 4090 card using the guide here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ix-coil-whine-coil-choke-noise.294015/page-12

Only did the ones in red.

Sadly no difference. Still same old chainsaw/buzzing coil whine like noise:mad::mad::mad:

And undertvolting and even setting power limit to 50% does nothing.

At least the Gigabyte Gaming OC responded a bit to be quieter to undervolt and was almost silent at 50% power limit even though clock speed tanked to 1300MHz. And was definitely much better undervolted with 2300MHZ clock speed.

PNY card it tanks and still has the chainsaw noise coil whine anyways with like almost 0 improvement

Soldato
The Gigabyte has gone back because whilst it was great for its basically not existent coil wine. I was getting very high temperatures in it that I did not get with the others.
I guess I was right because the refund was given today.

Believe @Richdog had a similar issue but his replacement was then ok.

Soldato
The Gigabyte has gone back because whilst it was great for its basically not existent coil wine. I was getting very high temperatures in it that I did not get with the others.
I guess I was right because the refund was given today.

Believe @Richdog had a similar issue but his replacement was then ok.
which gigabyte model? Basic / Vision / Aorus?

Soldato
Gaming (non OC). Though, considering the only difference between those two is 15 MHz on the clock may as all class as the same card.

Never heard of the vision one
Vision is the silvery white one "aimed at creators" . Looks like they call it Aero for the 4090. Spec wise it's pretty similar to the gaming OC this generation. IIRC it had better specs for the 3090 series

Soldato
Vision is the silvery white one "aimed at creators" . Looks like they call it Aero for the 4090. Spec wise it's pretty similar to the gaming OC this generation. IIRC it had better specs for the 3090 series

Oh yesss the recent one I recall. I never really understood this 'creator' tag. I feel like it's a bit like the gaming tag where you can add extra cost because you've labelled it for a particular audience even though it does nothing different.

Associate
I exchanged my Suprim X as it had a rattling sound from the shroud.

PLease to report that the replacement has far less coil whine, it's definitely there but I need to go up to the pc case to hear it, whereas my previous one was audible from 2 metres away.

My only annoyance with the MSi card in general is the turbulence sound from the fans/air/heatsink, it's a really annoying ryhtmic sound.

Associate
I exchanged my Suprim X as it had a rattling sound from the shroud.

PLease to report that the replacement has far less coil whine, it's definitely there but I need to go up to the pc case to hear it, whereas my previous one was audible from 2 metres away.

My only annoyance with the MSi card in general is the turbulence sound from the fans/air/heatsink, it's a really annoying ryhtmic sound.
Most reviews praise it as being virtually inaudible, is that not the case?

Soldato
Dont need to bin graphics cards for performance, bin then for coil whine lol. Pretty sure most would notice silence a lot more than + 3%.

Wonder if my close to silent 4090 will be a collectors item lol.

"Close to silent" - how confident are you in your level of age related hearing loss? :cry:

Back
Top Bottom