Horizon: Forbidden West

Caporegime
Ha, I just realised my Forbidden West save is locked into the PS+ cloud (currently not subscribing) so I'll either have to play the game from scratch again or shell out the readies.

Soldato
Ha, I just realised my Forbidden West save is locked into the PS+ cloud (currently not subscribing) so I'll either have to play the game from scratch again or shell out the readies.

Shame they don't allow you to just download the saves from the cloud when not subscribed, did you delete the save from your console then?

Caporegime
Shame they don't allow you to just download the saves from the cloud when not subscribed, did you delete the save from your console then?

I am on a new PS5. Totally forgot about all my save games. I was just waiting for a PS+ special offer before I subscribed. I'll probably just play the main game again, I've forgotten most of what happened and how to use the controls I suspect anyhow.

Soldato
Found my completed forbidden west save was gone and have had to start again to access the DLC.

After a few hours I decided to set difficulty to story mode and am focusing mostly on the main quest lines. It’s handy because I don’t even need to upgrade weapons or skills yet.

I have been reminded how janky and convoluted the combat has become and the very suspect hit boxes. I despise combo combat in games and the combat in this series really did get worse in the sequels.

Still enjoying the story though it not up to the first one, it is still good.

Associate
Ugh. As much as I like the game, I don't think I'd have the willpower or patience to play through the base game again. Thankfully my game save is intact. I haven't had much time to play this DLC but I'm enjoying it thus far. It's more of the same. Only one new robotic creature design, as far as I'm aware. There are quite a few new legendary items, but my fully upgraded gear from the base game ( arena challenges ) is comparable. Like many others, I don't like having to constantly switch back and forth between multiple weapons ; feels clumsy and an unnecessary mechanic. I don't bother with melee/spear much, either. I plan to stick with my fully upgraded hunter & sharpshooter bows. Will have a deeper dive into this DLC at the weekend.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ugh. As much as I like the game, I don't think I'd have the willpower or patience to play through the base game again. Thankfully my game save is intact. I haven't had much time to play this DLC but I'm enjoying it thus far. It's more of the same. Only one new robotic creatured design, as far as I'm aware. There are quite a few new legendary items, but my fully upgraded gear from the base game ( arena challenges ) is comparable. Like many others, I don't like having to constantly switch back and forth between multiple weapons ; feels clumsy and an unnecessary mechanic. I don't bother with melee/spear much, either. I plan to stick with my fully upgraded hunter & sharpshooter bows. Will have a deeper dive into this DLC at the weekend.

I’m enjoying the story so far. I agree with the weapon switching, I stick to 3. 3 bows, all fully upgraded - my main warrior bow that I use most of the time, my sharpshooter that allows me to one shot most machines with the special attack and my effect bow. They’re slightly less effective in the DLC though.

Caporegime
I’m enjoying the story so far. I agree with the weapon switching, I stick to 3. 3 bows, all fully upgraded - my main warrior bow that I use most of the time, my sharpshooter that allows me to one shot most machines with the special attack and my effect bow. They’re slightly less effective in the DLC though.

That's basically what I do, and I don't use the effect bow much.

I guess I do use the tipcaster spear things - I have a natty one that drills off parts.

Tripcasters, Ropecasters and discthrowers don't get a look in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished main story on this yesterday, I look forward to part 3.

I'm not sure i enjoyed the sequel as much as the original, infact at times I felt it was too big

I may return to plat it but no rush, I did the plat on the first one.

DLC, I'll get that when it's cheaper.

Soldato
Short DLC, but spectacular end. Really shows what the PS5 can do.

Again, Xbox, where even are you at the moment with this gen?

It’s for another discussion, but I agree it’s really bizarre with Xbox currently, you see games like this with the array of performance modes, then upcoming Redfall on Xbox stuck at 30fps at release .
Complete shambles.

Soldato
I forgot how terrible the combat is in this game. The combat in HZD was not its strong point but it was OK.

They made it worse in the sequels to the point of frustration. Too many pointless weapons, melee combat totally broken due to the constant falling down in a stiff breeze. This means the “combos” are worthless due to constant interruptions. Ranged combat becomes tedious due to the fact most enemies are able to AOE from almost any distance and then you fall down and they close distance in one leap and you are back to the above melee problems. There is just no fluidity or fun to the combat.

Graphics are great but I just feel the combat has no redeeming qualities in this game due to the janky gameplay. Story is OK in the sequel thankfully and jury still out in the DLC for me.

Associate
I forgot how terrible the combat is in this game. The combat in HZD was not its strong point but it was OK.

They made it worse in the sequels to the point of frustration. Too many pointless weapons, melee combat totally broken due to the constant falling down in a stiff breeze. This means the “combos” are worthless due to constant interruptions. Ranged combat becomes tedious due to the fact most enemies are able to AOE from almost any distance and then you fall down and they close distance in one leap and you are back to the above melee problems. There is just no fluidity or fun to the combat.

Graphics are great but I just feel the combat has no redeeming qualities in this game due to the janky gameplay. Story is OK in the sequel thankfully and jury still out in the DLC for me.

The story, both the main and deeply personal https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Bashar_Mati audio logs were what made it more than just a monster game. The enjoyed the dlc in HDZ but i already saw the shortcomings without a solid story to mask them, to make you overlook them, and you could definitely see how they incorporated more climbing (which was clunky).

As you say, in FW I was constantly frustrated with being on my arse all the time, weird hit points and monster sponges. The story though, home base (copied from Mass Effect 2) with each new character setting shop inside, a mini game (Witcher), endless weapons with no real purpose undermined by poor UI and really annoying 'hunting' for parts.

Like with Cyberpunk, I found most reviews to be weirdly glowing in praise, almost like they daren't give it anything but 5/5, 98% scores.

Soldato
I’ve barely touched the dlc yet, but the map on first sight looks quite boring, nice graphics though.
Playing on performance mode, tried resolution and quickly switched back.

Anyone played a lot, does the map setting get more interesting as you progress main quest?

Man of Honour
I’ve barely touched the dlc yet, but the map on first sight looks quite boring, nice graphics though.
Playing on performance mode, tried resolution and quickly switched back.

Anyone played a lot, does the map setting get more interesting as you progress main quest?

There are some stunning main quest areas, but the rest of the map is pretty similar imo. I just stuck to the main quest tbh.

Associate
DLC just seems a bit meh to me.

They have basically taken the San Francisco area map, added some lava and a Hollywood sign and called it LA. Tons of buildings with nothing in them to find. Whole islands with little to nothing on them, Just one or two enemy spawn sites per area.

Only a couple of new enemy types and some forgettable weapon and outfit "upgrades".

Considering you have to finish the main quest before you can even start this - why do the quests start at level 30 ?

Just using my normal level 50 concentration/hunter bow build everything just goes down within a couple of hits if not a one shot, Yes I could increase the difficulty but that just adds tedium to each battle rather than anything positive.

The quests, as usual are fine but it all just feels more of the same which I guess I shouild expect for a DLC but somehow the Frozen Wilds felt fresher than this one as a DLC.

Soldato

I remember combat feeling smoother in the first game, this seemed to have a much longer knock down effect which was quite annoying

Back
Top Bottom