Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
I remember combat feeling smoother in the first game, this seemed to have a much longer knock down effect which was quite annoying

The first game had less combat mechanics and a much more forgiving dodge/roll element. They added more complexity in this sequel and it actually detracts from the fluidity in combat.

Dodging is nerfed and you now have elemental weapons, convoluted combos, Valor surge, extra weapons that serve no real purpose or become useless in the constant stun lock close combat. Also why can you still use health berries and potions when stunned. That mechanic alone tells you the devs realised the combat was broken.

Still a 7/10 game for me despite this. I found it less frustrating to simply set difficulty to story mode than to upgrade the myriad of useless weapons.

Soldato
The first game had less combat mechanics and a much more forgiving dodge/roll element. They added more complexity in this sequel and it actually detracts from the fluidity in combat.

Dodging is nerfed and you now have elemental weapons, convoluted combos, Valor surge, extra weapons that serve no real purpose or become useless in the constant stun lock close combat. Also why can you still use health berries and potions when stunned. That mechanic alone tells you the devs realised the combat was broken.

Still a 7/10 game for me despite this. I found it less frustrating to simply set difficulty to story mode than to upgrade the myriad of useless weapons.
This. The sound of Aloy constantly being rogered by dinosaurs got on my wick. The first was so much more forgiving with the dodge mechanic and for the better. Can’t imagine doing the Frozen DLC without that roll! Really enjoyed the combat in the first one and had the right amount of weapons.

Sounds like I was right to stay away from this DLC. I’d hoped maybe they’d have used the opportunity to fix/tweak the combat somehow back to the original form.

Man of Honour
DLC just seems a bit meh to me.

They have basically taken the San Francisco area map, added some lava and a Hollywood sign and called it LA. Tons of buildings with nothing in them to find. Whole islands with little to nothing on them, Just one or two enemy spawn sites per area.

Only a couple of new enemy types and some forgettable weapon and outfit "upgrades".

Considering you have to finish the main quest before you can even start this - why do the quests start at level 30 ?

Just using my normal level 50 concentration/hunter bow build everything just goes down within a couple of hits if not a one shot, Yes I could increase the difficulty but that just adds tedium to each battle rather than anything positive.

The quests, as usual are fine but it all just feels more of the same which I guess I shouild expect for a DLC but somehow the Frozen Wilds felt fresher than this one as a DLC.

It’s incredibly short too. That said, it’s worth it for the last hour or so. Not sure how the PS5 can do half of that at 60fps tbh.

Agreed, Frozen wilds was far better overall. Brought a number of significant gameplay changes, machines etc.

On the plus side, leaves me free for Jedi Survivor!

Last edited:
Associate
Will finish the last main quest this afternoon. Visuals are excellent and showcase what the PS5, and next gen consoles in general, are capable of when not constrained by older hardware . That said, there isn't much variety ... it's one biome ( lava, sub-tropical vegetation & islands - "Hawaiian" style ) so if the opening scenery doesn't appeal then you're going to be disappointed. Combat still feels clunky and over-engineered with constant rag-dolling and stun locks in melee range. Guerilla haven't done anything to address this problem with this DLC ; I agree, the first game had more fluid combat and was better for it. The story is coherent and serviceable.There is some side content, but you have to go exploring to find it and it's mostly collectables eg. aerial views, dinosaur mugs ( considered as important artifacts ) and delver camp remains. Pretty sure I won't be going for 100% completion, unlike the base game & original HZD.

Soldato
Finished it last night, so I'll add my 2pence.

Visuals: Excellent, there is certainly a step up in texture clarity when going from the BS map to the FW map. Everything looks way better and sharper in BS. The world of BS (Los Angeles) has a ton of verticality to it and it is gorgeous to fly through. All the other worlds we've played are mostly flat whilst LA is much fuller. Sadly I wish it was more populated since it is mostly sparse. It has been a while since I played the game so seeing a Balanced graphical mode (40fps?) was most welcome and the nicest out of the 3 settings as it was fluid and detailed.

The cloud tech Guerilla were boasting about is stunning to witness but I believe it is used in only one small portion of the map - where a certain large mob is located on an island to the west.

Story: There is about 8-10hrs of gameplay here, with a nice return of an old cheery friend bundled into it. Seems that todays touchy 'gamers' are all upset about Aloy's sexual orientation to bother about the gameplay so they're review bombing it to death. The new mount and a battle with a certain Chariot class big bad are pretty much incredible, and my PS4 Pro would certainly cry if the latter was implemented on it.

Combat: Still an absolute clusterduck. The DLC expands the skill tree with new skills that most will never use because everything is just over complicated now. I bought some new legendary weapons, upgraded them and then realised I couldn't be bothered learning how they work because I want to return to Days Gone again.

We don't really get any further development leading towards Horizon 3 I feel but either way it is a good bit of DLC for the price. Sylens will certainly be missed :(

Soldato
I just started Forbidden West again yesterday, I bounced off it on the first attempt as I tried it straight after Zero Dawn and think that was just too much Horizon.

I was disappointed with it on the first try, it looks beautiful and I love exploring the world but the systems feel overcomplicated and bloated, too many types of ammo and skills being just two examples.

Am hoping that having had a long break I might stick with it this time.

Soldato
I just started Forbidden West again yesterday, I bounced off it on the first attempt as I tried it straight after Zero Dawn and think that was just too much Horizon.

I was disappointed with it on the first try, it looks beautiful and I love exploring the world but the systems feel overcomplicated and bloated, too many types of ammo and skills being just two examples.

Am hoping that having had a long break I might stick with it this time.

Despite my reservations on the combat it can actually be fun. One one one with some of the larger beasts can be enjoyable. I also really enjoyed the interactions and sidequests more than the main quest, though overall still a very good game.

Some tips:
  • Don't ignore the quest for the explosive spear from the two sisters outside Chainscrape tavern. This weapon makes some of the larger machine fights much easier.
  • If you ever get around to doing the upgrades for legendary armour and weapons please ensure to turn difficulty to easy, or even story mode. If you don't expect a massive long boring grind. If that goes against your beliefs then at least set difficulty to custom and turn on the easy loot option. This ensures all machine items are dropped on killing the machine, rather than having to shoot them off.
  • Max out concentration as early as possible. Hitting those vulnerable parts is difficult even with the time slowed down

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite my reservations on the combat it can actually be fun. One one one with some of the larger beasts can be enjoyable. I also really enjoyed the interactions and sidequests more than the main quest, though overall still a very good game.

Some tips:
  • Don't ignore the quest for the explosive spear from the two sisters outside Chainscrape tavern. This weapon makes some of the larger machine fights much easier.
  • If you ever get around to doing the upgrades for legendary armour and weapons please ensure to turn difficulty to easy, or even story mode. If you don't expect a massive long boring grind. If that goes against your beliefs then at least set difficulty to custom and turn on the easy loot option. This ensures all machine items are dropped on killing the machine, rather than having to shoot them off.
  • Max out concentration as early as possible. Hitting those vulnerable parts is difficult even with the time slowed down
Thanks for that matey.

Associate
Finished this yesterday ; it was a fun experience overall with a spectacular ending ( slightly spoiled by the stun locks & rag-dolling mentioned above ). I know it's only been out for a week but I'm surprised at how few players have progressed through the DLC ( there are 18 trophies but all of them are <3% completion, many <1% ). Makes me wonder if a lot of players never quite finished the base game - the DLC can only be started following completion of the base game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished this yesterday ; it was a fun experience overall with a spectacular ending ( slightly spoiled by the stun locks & rag-dolling mentioned above ). I know it's only been out for a week but I'm surprised at how few players have progressed through the DLC ( there are 18 trophies but all of them are <3% completion, many <1% ). Makes me wonder if a lot of players never quite finished the base game - the DLC can only be started following completion of the base game.
Probably quite a lot of people, there is only 1 gold trophy which is linked to the final mission and the PS app shows it as rare 29.8%.

Caporegime
I know the whole premise of the game is pretty stupid when you think about it (Tribes with Bronze age tech being able to hunt robotic machines that are based on animals) but (spoilers for Burning Shores)

Aloy being able to bring down a Horus just seems absolutely nuts. The battle takes ages, and essentially all you are doing is overheating it, and yes it's nearly 1000 years old and not at full power, but even so - These things bought about the end of the World

I see it's being review bombed on Metacritic because [checks notes] - You have the option of kissing a woman.

Who would have thought that a genetically identical clone of somebody established to be a lesbian, would turn out to be a lesbian herself :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've been finishing up on BS trying to get some extra achievements, however the Aerial Capture North drone is bugged so that miniquest can't be trigged.

It is quite jarring returning to the old lands of FW after spending time in BS. FW looks dull and sort of washed out by comparison. The more time in BS you spend, the more you appreciate how visually spectacular it does look.

Man of Honour
Bought the DLC today, for some reason I thought it was going to be £40 or something.

Only around an hour in, but enjoying it so far. Nothing groundbreaking though, just the same game but a bit more so far.

Back
Top Bottom