• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
These cards are very meh.

AMD GPU's are a budget brand without the budget prices. They need to sort out their Upscaling tech and at least match nVidia in Ray Tracing before they will get my money although I might be tempted to buy a 6950XT for £500 if that ever happens. The 7700 and 7800XT are snore fests though.

Go buy a 4070 12GB then and be happy. Or are you only angry at AMD because you were hoping for much lower prices to force Nvidia in to a price war?

It's not a great release but not horrible, the only saving grace is they have lowered the MSRP for this level of performance. That of course is only if you ignore the EOL prices for other AMD cards. Can I ask if you were this angry at the Nvidia 40x0 release prices and lack of EOL prices for the 30x0 GPUs?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a 6700 XT for £460 a few years back, so the price/perf uplift in relative terms is about 40%. This was one of the forum members specials Gibbo did during the mining craze. I don't care about the name of the GPU, just the price/perf comparison and in those terms it seems a decent uplift. Though when viewed outside the pandemic/mining/chip shortage bubble it is clear AMD are just pre scalping. Not as bad as Nvidia, but still scalping.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a 6700 XT for £460 a few years back, so the price/perf uplift in relative terms is about 40%. This was one of the forum members specials Gibbo did during the mining craze. I don't care about the name of the GPU, just the price/perf comparison and in those terms it seems a decent uplift. Though when viewd outside the panemic/mining/chip shortage bubble it is clear AMD are just pre scalping. Not as bad as Nvidia, but still scalping.

Exactly. I paid £330 for a Strix 6700XT a while ago and felt like I won the lottery.

It is amazing how quickly people forget and just go back to moaning and complaining, even though these cards with inflation are cheaper than the 970 and 980 respectively. People are still whining even after some of them paid over a grand for a 3080 *shrugs*.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure why reviewers are praising the 7800XT so much. It offers 6800XT performance for £500 but you can currently buy a 6800XT for £500.

3 years ago I got a 6800XT for £680. Three years later I can upgrade to the next gen new card, but it only deliverys the same performance, for £500.

If they didn't launch the 7800XT at all we'd be in the exact same position - 6800XT performance for £500! I can't see what this card brings to the market.
Well but compound interest do you need to turn £500 into £680 over 3 years?

Around 1.167%.

Is that is a record for stagnation? At least from team red, green so are so keen to win every competition that they have managed to do "better" :mad:

I acknowledge that the days of a new node every 18 months with similar price/area - so effectively double the same transistors for the same money ever 24 months - are long over, but there is a whole lot more to this stagnation than that. And with stingy VRAM and bandwidth, its not like these stagnated cards last longer so the rate of landfill junk is about the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, they are not paying RRP because they are two and a half years old.

Have you ever heard of the word "Reason" dude?.

It's an old model. It is a product of technology. Prices always fall on older tech.

So yes how is RRP relevant to someone's buying decision today? You're saying the 6800XT RRP of £650 is a big difference - and it is - but why does that matter right now? The two cards offer the same performance for the same price (ish). It makes sense that both cards will continue to offer the same price and performance as the price falls over time (whilst the 6800XT is available).

You're right though the 7800XT is from £480 (hopefully that price sticks around and It's not a launch price) and the 6800XT is around £510 to £520 so the 7800XT sneaks in as the better option.

Soldato
Well but compound interest do you need to turn £500 into £680 over 3 years?

Around 1.167%.

Is that is a record for stagnation? At least from team red, green so are so keen to win every competition that they have managed to do "better" :mad:

I acknowledge that the days of a new node every 18 months with similar price/area - so effectively double the same transistors for the same money ever 24 months - are long over, but there is a whole lot more to this stagnation than that. And with stingy VRAM and bandwidth, its not like these stagnated cards last longer so the rate of landfill junk is about the same.

People are also forgetting.

Chip shortages.
Shipping hikes.
Generally absolutely everything costing a boat load more than just three years ago.

Soldato
So yes how is RRP relevant to someone's buying decision today? You're saying the 6800XT RRP of £650 is a big difference - and it is - but why does that matter right now? The two cards offer the same performance for the same price (ish). It makes sense that both cards will continue to offer the same price and performance as the price falls over time (whilst the 6800XT is available).

You're right though the 7800XT is from £480 (hopefully that price sticks around and It's not a launch price) and the 6800XT is around £510 to £520 so the 7800XT sneaks in as the better option.

Because it is nearly three years old.

What part of that don't you seem to get dude? THREE YEARS that card has been around come November. It is also left over stock, from ages ago, that they over made thinking they would all sell at ludicrous prices. Which hardly ever happens, unless you have a mining boom and crash.

These cards now? should have came out a year ago. The fact they had to stall them for that long just shows you how much stock they had, and how long it has taken them to shift. Normally when a new GPU used to come out you would be lucky to still get the old gen new two months later.

Soldato
You're missing out the big reason
Profiteering

Depends whether the glass is half full or half empty.

I just showed that the RRP of the GTX 970 (which was a scam tbf, and a weeny tiny entry level sized die) actually cost more RRP than the price you can buy the 7700XT for. Which I would imagine uses a much larger die because RT nonsense.

What you are missing out on is people's entitlement and short memory dude. Two years ago you could not buy a GPU for anything even resembling RRP unless you literally devoted your entire life to sitting at a screen using price bots. Something I could just not be faffed to do. Otherwise? you paid out the backside. Yet here we are just two years later, two decent GPUs launch (considering inflation) and people are still saying they cost too much.

I wonder, do they walk up to the staff at the petrol station and whine like that? or when they are at the checkout of the supermarket? or when posting something? or basically doing absolutely anything today that requires money that has all gone up by much more?

No. Because they think GPUs are completely unattached to reality. The entitlement is real.

Soldato
Because it is nearly three years old.

What part of that don't you seem to get dude? THREE YEARS that card has been around come November. It is also left over stock, from ages ago, that they over made thinking they would all sell at ludicrous prices. Which hardly ever happens, unless you have a mining boom and crash.

These cards now? should have came out a year ago. The fact they had to stall them for that long just shows you how much stock they had, and how long it has taken them to shift. Normally when a new GPU used to come out you would be lucky to still get the old gen new two months later.
I don't get why age matters - surely only performance and features/noise/power and driver lifespan matter? It's been a valid decision and comparison since the beginning of my interest graphics cards, do you buy the newer lower tier card or the older higher tier card for the approx same price. The X1950GT or 8600GT. 9800GT or Nvidia 240. 1070 or 980ti. And the times when it hadn't been a valid decision is when the new card demolishes the old one like the 1070 beating the 980ti. That for me is a great product and buy and clearly an easy recommendation.

If they'd named this 7800 or 7700XTX and then launched a £550/£600 7800XT which was noticeably faster than the 6800XT it wouldn't be so meh.

Soldato
I don't get why age matters - surely only performance and features/noise/power and driver lifespan matter? It's been a valid decision and comparison since the beginning of my interest graphics cards, do you buy the newer lower tier card or the older higher tier card for the approx same price. The X1950GT or 8600GT. 9800GT or Nvidia 240. 1070 or 980ti. And the times when it hadn't been a valid decision is when the new card demolishes the old one like the 1070 beating the 980ti. That for me is a great product and buy and clearly an easy recommendation.

If they'd named this 7800 or 7700XTX and then launched a £550/£600 7800XT which was noticeably faster than the 6800XT it wouldn't be so meh.

You don't get why age matters and you are into technology?

Sheesh bro.

Does a three year old model phone cost as much as a brand new just released one? or a three year old car?

Soldato
OP
People are also forgetting.

Chip shortages.
Shipping hikes.
Generally absolutely everything costing a boat load more than just three years ago.

These items are made in Asia where inflation is much lower. Shipping prices have collapsed compared to three years ago. Component prices have collapsed as China is not under lockdown anymore. GDDR6 prices are nearly 1/4 to 1/5 the prices of 2021. Only wafer prices have gone up but Nvidia and amd are selling less cutting edge silicon this generation for the same money.

This is why everything else such as nand and ram has collapsed in price.

Back
Top Bottom