• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
These cards overclock a lot!!

6M20com.png

overclocked-performance.png

The problem is that's just a 3D mark test and not games

Guru 3D benchmarked games and said the overclocked performance is 3% to 5% higher than stock for the 7700xt and 7800xt, nowhere near the 17% increase seen in 3D mark by techpowerup

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe I am getting more jaded.

Same here. If it wasn't me flicking through youtube and just seeing the HUB video, I'd forgotten the launch was today. From 2012 to 2019 I'd be sitting waiting to see all the reviews and info on launch day with gusto :(

Maybe nearing 50 means you see through the marketing bovine excrement and see the poor attempt to hoodwink the consumers with "great new tech launches"

Soldato
OP
Same here. If it wasn't me flicking through youtube and just seeing the HUB video, I'd forgotten the launch was today. From 2012 to 2019 I'd be sitting waiting to see all the reviews and info on launch day with gusto :(

Maybe nearing 50 means you see through the marketing bovine excrement and see the poor attempt to hoodwink the consumers with "great new tech launches"

I only started the thread because someone needed to make one. But the street pricing is nonsense as I feared and most prices are over £500. Also we don't even know if Starfield is included either at many retailers. Plus many large retailers don't have stock. The RTX4070 and RTX4060 launches had plenty of stock.

I don't know what AMD has been doing since last December. There is simply no excuse for the UK to have so little stock,priced well above the supposed RRP. It clearly seems like Nvidia,etc think the UK is more important than AMD does.

Last edited:
Soldato
Give it a few months, those £499 cards will become £399 cards i guarantee it.
How many months is being inversely proportionally to how well AMD marketing have made the card look in review conclusions. If they overpriced to get a bit more from early adapters, the overall gross margin of that card for that generation goes down as reviews were bad, it didn't sell well and eventually the dream not being a budget brand collided with the reality of a warehouse full of unsold stock!

EDIT: Didn't make sense without the bold

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How many months is being inversely proportionally to how well AMD marketing have the card look in review conclusions. If they overpriced to get a bit more from early adapters, the overall gross margin of that card for that generation goes down as reviews were bad, it sold well and eventually the dream not being a budget brand collided with the reality of a warehouse full of unsold stock!

The price will "go down" when they remove Starfield and have no games. Maybe the cards will actually hit their fake RRP.

But the problem,is what happens if Nvidia makes some price cuts and/or includes an expensive game with their cards too? Moreover,its much easier to get misprices on Nvidia cards because there is more stock in the UK.

This is the same nonsense AMD did to the UK during the Pandemic. Overprice their cards,have none at the fake RRP whereas Nvidia did.

Last edited:
Soldato

Know the feeling mate.. Also the industry as a whole is not helping itself anymore with the silly games they keep playing on consumers of their products. It's not being jaded, just being realistic with the world we live in currently and the none stop shenanigans being played on consumers regarding anything now.

Also the excitement factor with technology has been dead a while now with the never ending drip feeding of 10% to 30% if we are lucky and people call a 30% increase a huge increase now and people of our age know reality of that one, 30% would have got laughed at in the past and the prices would crash a few weeks later.

New world with new world issues and what people now class as acceptable uplift from generation to generation.. We had more fun in the past with technology and got real upgrades not this drip feeding and prices going threw the roof to add to the insult.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Know the feeling mate.. Also the industry as a whole is not helping itself anymore with the silly games they keep playing on consumers of their products. It's not being jaded, just being realistic with the world we live in currently and the none stop shenanigans being played on consumers regarding anything now. Also the excitement factor with technology has been dead a while now with the never ending drip feeding of 10% to 30% if we are lucky and people call a 30% increase a huge increase now and people of our age know reality of that one, 30% would have got laughed at in the past and the prices would crash a few weeks later.

New world with new world issues and what people now class as acceptable uplift from generation to generation.. We had more fun in the past with technology and got real upgrades not this drip feeding and prices going threw the roof to add to the insult.

How many people would be buying the RX7800XT if it was at £480,with the Starfield code,at multiple retailers of their liking in the UK?

Compared to maybe one retailer hitting RRP and including the code,which will probably last all of today. Then they can charge well over £500.

I hope review sites follow street pricing of these cards.

How many months is being inversely proportionally to how well AMD marketing have made the card look in review conclusions. If they overpriced to get a bit more from early adapters, the overall gross margin of that card for that generation goes down as reviews were bad, it sold well and eventually the dream not being a budget brand collided with the reality of a warehouse full of unsold stock!

It's all Nvidia's fault for AMD low sales marketshare!! Not their inability to make a decent launch. Even if the launch is decent,they try all the nonsense pricing games and end up screwing up any goodwill they might have had in the first place.

9~10 months after the RX7900 series and they can't do make a proper launch with cards at RRP from multiple retailers.

Last edited:
Associate
These cards are very meh.

AMD GPU's are a budget brand without the budget prices. They need to sort out their Upscaling tech and at least match nVidia in Ray Tracing before they will get my money although I might be tempted to buy a 6950XT for £500 if that ever happens. The 7700 and 7800XT are snore fests though.

Soldato
I'm not sure why reviewers are praising the 7800XT so much. It offers 6800XT performance for £500 but you can currently buy a 6800XT for £500.

3 years ago I got a 6800XT for £680. Three years later I can upgrade to the next gen new card, but it only deliverys the same performance, for £500.

If they didn't launch the 7800XT at all we'd be in the exact same position - 6800XT performance for £500! I can't see what this card brings to the market.

Soldato
I'm not sure why reviewers are praising the 7800XT so much. It offers 6800XT performance for £500 but you can currently buy a 6800XT for £500.

3 years ago I got a 6800XT for £680. Three years later I can upgrade to the next gen new card, but it only deliverys the same performance, for £500.

If they didn't launch the 7800XT at all we'd be in the exact same position - 6800XT performance for £500! I can't see what this card brings to the market.
I think people have finally been mindbroken by years of terrible pricing and terrible cards. If you accept that things can't and won't get any better, the 7800 XT doesn't look so bad. Personally, I'm just going to carry on not buying anything until there's something worth buying, and this thing ain't it.

Associate
Would it look such a bad buy if the 6800xt hadn't dropped price so much I wonder? But it has dropped price so maybe a mute point.

Soldato

Dude the 7800XT Hellhound is £479 elsewhere. Most of the 6800XT I have seen are £520 and up.

The 6800XT RRP was £649. That's a big difference in price.

Soldato
They got the 7700 and 7800 the wrong way round? Pricing suggests so.

Yeah it is weird that. £429 for the 7700XT on a decent cooler for some reason looks like the better deal to me *shrugs*. That said I would still pay the £50 for the 7800XT, which at £479 is £20 cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

Soldato
Dude the 7800XT Hellhound is £479 elsewhere. Most of the 6800XT I have seen are £520 and up.

The 6800XT RRP was £649. That's a big difference in price.

The rrp isn't what people are paying now though so I'm not sure how it is relevant to someone's buying decision today? People who bought at RRP 3 years ago have had 3 years of utility from it.

This thread and the "Any news on 7800XT" thread seems to have people buying the 6800XT recently for £480 with starfield included. I would assume it's going to go back to that price given the launch of the new card.

Associate
Would it look such a bad buy if the 6800xt hadn't dropped price so much I wonder? But it has dropped price so maybe a mute point.
The 6800xt been a amazing performer for over 2 years.
as 90% give or take sit on 1400p and lower resolutions the 7800xt is amazing value for the perfomance.

I upgraded to the 6700xt months ago as I couldnt wait for this moment.
If I had, the 7800xt be a no brainer

Soldato
The rrp isn't what people are paying now though so I'm not sure how it is relevant to someone's buying decision today? People who bought at RRP 3 years ago have had 3 years of utility from it.

This thread and the "Any news on 7800XT" thread seems to have people buying the 6800XT recently for £480 with starfield included. I would assume it's going to go back to that price given the launch of the new card.

Yeah, they are not paying RRP because they are two and a half years old.

Have you ever heard of the word "Reason" dude?.

It's an old model. It is a product of technology. Prices always fall on older tech.

Soldato
The 6800xt been a amazing performer for over 2 years.
as 90% give or take sit on 1400p and lower resolutions the 7800xt is amazing value for the perfomance.

I upgraded to the 6700xt months ago as I couldnt wait for this moment.
If I had, the 7800xt be a no brainer

To be fair you would not be saying that if you paid a grand from a scalper. Because when they came out that is what they would have cost you.

That is the main difference here.

Back
Top Bottom