why all the hate for hs2?

Associate
And reannouncing some other projects which were already supposed to be happening anyway.

I don't have time to read the details right now or find out if it's correct but a lot of Labour MPs are currently tweeting that most of the "new" announcements were indeed already existing projects.

Commissario
I don't have time to read the details right now or find out if it's correct but a lot of Labour MPs are currently tweeting that most of the "new" announcements were indeed already existing projects.
I think they are.

The billion to local councils to improve roads has from memory been announced pretty much every time the government have been asked about what they're doing about pot holes, and as it's over 10 years it's not even a fraction of what is needed even if it was new every time.

Associate
Fully funded projects or just proposals?

Saying that TPRU covers most of the electrifcation of lines and upgrades. Don Valley Line is very short, Cumbrian coast upgrade coming due to the new coal mine etc etc.. So all already in progress or funded.

Last edited:
Soldato
One MP said theres only one thing worse than a white elephant and thats half a white elephant

What is it with this country being almost allergic to building new infrastructure.
Cost, almost half of it building tunnels under Tory shires so it doesn't spoil the view from MP's windows the same reason almost no onshore wind ever gets built

Last edited:
Soldato
I appreciated Spiked is not everyones cup of tea but this article if a fair representation it highlights some of our cultural issues that make these projects impossible.

HS2’s PR department alone – 167 staff employed at a cost of £8million a year – includes three DEI managers, each on an annual salary of £200,000.

Someone somewhere lost track that we were building a trainline not a bureaucratic empire. It has been a problem of the British since the Second World War that we're generally only good in a crisis and the rest of the time we **** about with the trivial.

Last edited:
Associate
would you trust ANYTHING he says about "future" investment now? fool me once and all that.

what is happening with the 5 pledges he made at the start and the judging him on those results...... or what about the 40 brand new hospitals his party promised?

i am not in the north any more so there will be plenty better positioned than I to comment but how many people are seeing any fruits of the levelling up of the North we were promised?
Some people like being lied to over and over again, recent elections prove this. Remember, vote for them because they are good with money.

Soldato
Some people like being lied to over and over again, recent elections prove this. Remember, vote for them because they are good with money.

So if the government reverses a decision from a previous administration based on new information and spiralling costs you class that as 'lying'?

Associate
It was Conservatives that gave a go ahead to HS2 in the first place. As for Sunak, he wrote off £4.3bill in COVID payments lost to fraud. And now suddenly he cares about people's money :cry:

Commissario
It was Conservatives that gave a go ahead to HS2 in the first place. As for Sunak, he wrote off £4.3bill in COVID payments lost to fraud. And now suddenly he cares about people's money :cry:
Be fair to him, he also approved or at least didn't strike off the peerage for one of Boris' friends who is very deeply involved in 200 million plus of dodgy PPE (IIRC the company she recommended via the VIP fraud route appears to be owned via a holding company by her husband from memory)

Soldato

So if Labour had scrapped HS2 that would be ok because they wouldn't be 'lying'?

No one is doubting that huge sums of money were wasted during covid but does that then give the government a licence to waste money in the future because they don't 'care'?

Associate
So if Labour had scrapped HS2 that would be ok because they wouldn't be 'lying'?

No one is doubting that huge sums of money were wasted during covid but does that then give the government a licence to waste money in the future because they don't 'care'?
What did I say anything about Labour?
My point is I don't believe anything current government says, they are saying they will invest money in Northern infrastructure to offset cancellation of HS2. Just like they said about so called new hospitals.

Soldato
What did I say anything about Labour?
My point is I don't believe anything current government says, they are saying they will invest money in Northern infrastructure to offset cancellation of HS2. Just like they said about so called new hospitals.

You seem to be suggesting that the Tory's shouldn't be cancelling HS2 because it makes them 'liars' so my point is would you be ok with Labour cancelling it in the same circumstances as they wouldn't be 'liars'?

Associate
You seem to be suggesting that the Tory's shouldn't be cancelling HS2 because it makes them 'liars' so my point is would you be ok with Labour cancelling it in the same circumstances as they wouldn't be 'liars'?
Where exactly did I suggest that ?

Soldato
Where exactly did I suggest that ?

I posted..

So if the government reverses a decision from a previous administration based on new information and spiralling costs you class that as 'lying'?

You posted..

Soldato
I appreciated Spiked is not everyones cup of tea but this article if a fair representation it highlights some of our cultural issues that make these projects impossible.

Someone somewhere lost track that we were building a trainline not a bureaucratic empire. It has been a problem of the British since the Second World War that we're generally only good in a crisis and the rest of the time we **** about with the trivial.
Yeah, it's ignorance.

Soldato
Amazing that this is coming out so quickly after the announcement - just one of the many ways that the cancellation will make it difficult for any future government to complete HS2:

Would not be surprised if the new Euston development group decides to redesign the station with much less platform space too, which would be another way of limiting the future usefulness of the London-Birmingham section, and ensuring the investment so far is wasted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom