Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Its some wierd thing in US politics they add a completely irrelevant thing into a bill knowing it will cause issues.
Its not just a republican thing btw to want to secure the borders, Obama and Biden have also done so. In fact I think just about every American president in living memory has also done so.

I think it is fair to say that Biden has done a particularly poor job of it.

I think it is fair to say that Biden has done a particularly poor job of it.

Not really no.

He been basically fixing a mess he inherited!

Associate
Not really no.

He been basically fixing a mess he inherited!

Source: his administrations website..

Caporegime
I wonder what Republican voters think of their representatives colluding with Russia.
Well better dead than red has become "I'd rather be russian than democrat"

Republicans are now very pro russia, it seems russia spending its money on polticial manipulation rather than thier military was a success they just didn't count on trump losing as the war started

Caporegime
Republicans are now very pro russia, it seems russia spending its money on polticial manipulation rather than thier military was a success they just didn't count on trump losing as the war started

I genuinely think Putin was banking on Trump winning a second term (very unusual historically for the incumbent to lose). I imagine Putin thought the whole thing would be a lot easier with Trump no doubt throwing his toys out of the pram about aid and likely causing fractures within NATO.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Wasn't it Obama/Biden in charge in 2014 when Putin made his first land grab?

Biden looked like a weak president from the start and Putin like all tyrants took his chance when he thought he could get away with it. Trump was in charge for 4 years, Putin could have taken his chance any time during that term, Trump was a bit of a wild card and his reaction wouldn't have been unknown for Putin (you could make the argument that has changed and we know his stance)

Soldato
The really do seem to be focusing on the Air Defence south of the Dnipro, they might be paving the way for the F-16s.

F16s not coming for some time yet

But the fact that Russia has been replacing destroyed air defences in southern Ukraine with systems moved from Russias NATO border and not from some theoretical stockpile in mother Russia suggests they are having their own supply issues of these systems. Soon you'll see them removing the air defence systems around the Kremlin to send to Ukraine lmao

I guess the NATO isnt such a big threat anymore huh. They can't actually have many S400's when they've decided the best way to replace the S400's blown up in Ukraine is to pull all the S400's from the NATO border and leave mother Russia undefended from the NATO him/her lgbtq hordes

Last edited:
Associate
A gross generalisation - but in this vein things like the West's reluctance to ramp up industrial production of things like artillery shells to substantial levels to supply Ukraine, etc. will only encourage the Russian leadership that they can keep pushing on.

Obviously, when you talk about a nation's cultural/moral zeitgeist you have to generalise. It goes without saying that there are exceptions to the rule and minorities who have much more liberal values, but the backwardness of Russian society is shocking. I would say they are like we were during the 1950 - 1970 period with regards to their racism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, homophobia and extreme nationalism.

Yeah. Luckily the people are different in the west.

Jesus.

Your argument is a total non sequitur. The short-sighted idiotic actions of a group of mendacious scheming Republican Senators who are trying to suck up to Donald Trump and his ignorant MAGA supporters are not representative of the ethical values of the average American.

Racism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, homophobia and extreme nationalism are all far more common in Russian society than they are in the UK. The Russian state does not seek to protect people against the violent consequences of these entrenched prejudices, in fact, it often hangs the victims out to dry with the blessing of a majority of the public. In 2017, the Duma, Russia’s legislative body, decriminalized domestic violence that does not require hospital treatment. This is in a country where 20% of women face domestic abuse every year. In 2018, 5,000 Russian women were killed by their abusers. (Of all those who die from domestic violence in the world each year, 10% of them are in Russia, a country which makes up less than 2 percent of the global population.)

It should be obvious that a country (before and after Putin took power) that uses compulsory military conscription (during peacetime), still operates hard labour penal colonies, whose Police regularly use torture against suspects and still has the death penalty by firing squad on its statute book (although currently suspended from usage), has values which are nothing like those of a Western liberal democracy and to pretend otherwise is frankly dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom