Buyer claiming item defective - eBay

Associate
I don't sell on eBay anymore, sold a laptop to a person who claim it is a fake laptop and it does not switch on etc. Ebay forced a refund and he left me a nasty feedback of fake laptop seller etc. I got the laptop back and it switch on with a press of the power button, told ebay about with a video of the working laptop and they will not remove the feedback as it is just a buyer experience..... Never bother with that again I rather sell on fb market place and meet up. I sold a camera to MPB online and all went smoothly, it was a mint Sony EV1 ii and I got the quoted price and hassle free posting.

Caporegime
I think some things are fine to sell on eBay.

Electronics (especially of value) absolutely are not. They seem to attract most of the scummers.

Soldato
Had similar and it grates that the guy... No, Scammer... Won also, regardless of my refund from PayPal. I guess it's "path of least resistance" for them.

I now only buy from businesses on eBay, not up for the aggro of getting screwed on Sales. At least FB Marketplace is easy enough to meet up, cash sale, job done. No middle-man to force a refund when not a legitimate claim.
I'm glad i'm not alone in that. i was so annoyed that he'd effectively gotten away with it, even if i was financially compensated for it.

Soldato
I received an item back out of the blue last month. I knew it worked and only sold it on eBay as a last resort. Annoyingly I had to pay for the return postage back to me (£10 or so) plus the original postage due to free P&P.

However, when I returned it back it worked perfectly and there was no evidence of the fault they claimed. I guess I got lucky and the buyer changed their mind, so whilst I was £20 down at least the item worked and I was able to resell it. Maybe you’ll get lucky too?

Caporegime
I received an item back out of the blue last month. I knew it worked and only sold it on eBay as a last resort. Annoyingly I had to pay for the return postage back to me (£10 or so) plus the original postage due to free P&P.

However, when I returned it back it worked perfectly and there was no evidence of the fault they claimed. I guess I got lucky and the buyer changed their mind, so whilst I was £20 down at least the item worked and I was able to resell it. Maybe you’ll get lucky too?

This is why I think it's always worth being polite with returns. It's going to happen anyway.

If you fight it, a buyer that may have changed the mind might decide to break it deliberately.

Soldato
This is why I think it's always worth being polite with returns. It's going to happen anyway.

If you fight it, a buyer that may have changed the mind might decide to break it deliberately.
Exactly how I approached it plus you run the risk of a spiteful negative review. Like you said it’s coming back whether you like it or not as eBay will get involved.

Soldato
As it is past the 30 day period so it sounds like eBay are giving you the choice so it's entirely up to you to accept it (out of the goodness of your own heart) or reject it.

You're probably inclined to reject it but from what you've said it sounds like the camera might have had the date issue and you didn't notice it (fairly common issue in older cameras) so I doubt the buyer is trying to scam you.

If you reject it I think the worse they could do is leave negative feedback and I'm not 100% sure the eBay system would allow them to even do that.

The wider problem for you is if they used Paypal (and why wouldn't they!) that gives them 180 days and there is a very high chance Paypal will side with them.

If you do accept it back just make sure they pay for return postage.

I recently sold some speakers on eBay, no returns. The buyer basically didn't like the sound and asked to return them. Importantly they didn't use the "faulty or not as described" option when initiating the return so that if I accepted then he would pay for return postage, though the option was totally mine whether to accept it or reject it. I accepted and just resold them again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is why I have so much tat around the house, I just cba selling them. Now with HMRC cracking down on eBay sales….it just adds to the paperwork.

Not really sure what to do about the HMRC thing.

Does that mean if you sell too much (even just old stuff) you'd have to do SA? For example if you beach the threshold?

Soldato

Does that mean if you sell too much (even just old stuff) you'd have to do SA? For example if you beach the threshold?

Thats the way I interpret it. Happy to be corrected though.

I've not sold on ebay for years and the last time I did, I took photos of the serial number and a video of it working and posted this in the ad. Still held my breath for months after, something I could do without. I think ebay took the decision that they only want commercial sellers a long time ago.

Associate
Happened to me years ago on a graphics card. Since then whenever I'm selling anything with a serial number I make sure I show it an image and put it in the description, it's never happened again.

Soldato
If you're doing it on a regular basis it counts as earned income. If its just the odd thing you don't need to worry

Does it work both ways though, if you sell your old laptop for £100 for example, but it cost you £500 new, thats a £400 loss for tax purposes, so could you actually claim tax releif on that?

HMRC are trying to track down people who are buying to sell.
So eg those who go round car boots, buy loads of stuff, flip on ebay and rinse repeat.
Thats trading and its taxable income.

If your flogging your own stuff its not taxable income. However if you sell a lot then they may want to look into what your selling to check its really your own stuff and not bought for the flipping approach.

Stuff like selling loads of shoes in multiple sizes will start to peak their interest, selling 10 pairs of size 9s less so.

Associate
I buy lots on eBay knowing it's so easy to send back if there is any issue.
Never abused this, however have had to return a few items as not described or broken etc. and been easy to do so.
Never sold on there and doubt I ever will.

Soldato
Its not regular. But some things are quite expensive. I'd definitely go over the 1000 threshold. Although profit would be much less than 1000.

Is it really profit if you bought the thing 10 years ago for 10 times the price?!

Surely that's a loss...

Caporegime

Surely only if you are actually making a profit!

If you sell a laptop for £1200 that you bought for £2000, you haven't made any money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom