The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
I love the Scotland map (not that I'm biased lol!), will be giving that a good blast this week.

One thing I'd say, given the recent posts about trainers, is I'd recommend buying new so that you have after sale support. I'm on kickr core #3 after my first one packed in near it's 2nd birthday, and the replacement unit went back shortly after also. (And I would regard myself as a fairly casual user)

Caporegime
Hey everyone. I've been looking for a while for a decent value smart trainer so I can train at home. I'd rather have a direct drive trainer, but as someone who isn't a massive cyclist, the asking price for a decent one is quite high (unless anyone can suggest one?).

The Saris Fluid (https://sportandleisure.com/products/saris-fluid-2-indoor-bike-trainer-home-bike-trainer) is currently on offer for £65 which seems a great deal based on its reviews. However, with a wheel on trainer, I'd prefer to just change out my entire rear wheel for use on the trainer, rather than having the hassle of changing the tyre, or wearing my road tyres.

In order to do this, what do I require? For example, I presume I don't need a full cassette on a turbo trainer wheel, as the peddling difficulty is just altered by the resistance of the trainer? Or am I being an idiot?
As others have recommended, the Zwift turbo is a great recommendation. I can't fault it, and they're so much better than wheel on.

Soldato
It's sometimes hard to get motivated to jump on zwift unless doing a race series or similar. The less hassle it is then the easier it is to do - obviously. I had a wheel on, hated it. Lasted a couple of weeks then moved to wheel off. Then bough an ally bike to make it even easier, a few thousand kms later then whole thing was rattling and upgrading the same set up wasn't going to cost much less than just buying a smart bike. Bought the Tacx, never looked back. Mrs uses it to as the adjustments are very simple and quick to do.
TLDR - just buy a smart bike. :D

Soldato
First gen Wattbike Atom here, still going strong. Wish it was a bit quieter (mainly for the misses when I'm on it I'm using AirPods and can only hear a gentle whirring).
Have looked to see if they do trade ins for the newer one, but it's pretty low on my list of things to do at the moment.

Soldato
One question on the Zwift before I accept being sold on it.

Is the Zwift trainer compatible with other apps? Or is it tied to Zwift? In all likelihood I'll use Zwift anyway, but if all my friends jump ship, or if Zwift goes bust (obviously unlikely!),I don't want to have to buy a new trainer

Associate

Is the Zwift trainer compatible with other apps? Or is it tied to Zwift? In all likelihood I'll use Zwift anyway, but if all my friends jump ship, or if Zwift goes bust (obviously unlikely!),I don't want to have to buy a new trainer
It even works with my garmin watch, as in I can set up a workout on the watch, pair it to the trainer and do the workout with no phones/apps involved at all.

Not sure you could use zwift click without the official app though.

Last edited:
Associate

The Zwift Hub One with the Zwift Cog will work in all apps in ERG mode. To use in non-Zwift apps in freeride mode you would need to install a cassette.

Soldato
Guessing most in here are road riders. Am I the only mountain biker?
Id be getting the Zwift Hub one if I were buying now. I'm stuck with a cassette unless Wahoo release something similar.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Id be getting the Zwift Hub one if I were buying now. I'm stuck with a cassette unless Wahoo release something similar.

In theory I do both but I haven't been on the MTB in about 10 months now which is sad. Once my boys are a little older I will get back into it a bit more.

Honestly I never felt like fitness was my goal for MTB, it was riding features and trails. The speed wasn't a consideration. Now that I am 100% road bike for now, its quite literally the most important question in how far and fast you can go.

Soldato
In theory I do both but I haven't been on the MTB in about 10 months now which is sad. Once my boys are a little older I will get back into it a bit more.

Honestly I never felt like fitness was my goal for MTB, it was riding features and trails. The speed wasn't a consideration. Now that I am 100% road bike for now, its quite literally the most important question in how far and fast you can go.
Fitness is definitely a big part of it for me. Being able to do one more lap or get up the hills faster.
Plus being fitter just makes it all easier.

Associate
I have an mtb. Got the zwift hub to get a way to actually get fit with it rather than relying on the odd riding trip out in the new forest with friends to get a regular workout.
I bought a 12 speed cassette to go on the hub but it didn't really match up with the bike in terms of alignment, then the cog and click came out so I bought those and haven't looked back.

Soldato
I have an mtb. Got the zwift hub to get a way to actually get fit with it rather than relying on the odd riding trip out in the new forest with friends to get a regular workout.
I bought a 12 speed cassette to go on the hub but it didn't really match up with the bike in terms of alignment, then the cog and click came out so I bought those and haven't looked back.
Annoyingly I have a Wahoo kickr. I mean it's fine in ERG mode but I run out of gears otherwise.

Soldato
I'm thinking about buying a Smart Bike now, probably a Wahoo Kickr Bike V1. I feel like they've been available for £2,200 at one point? Does anyone know of any deals or any advice on the bikes in general?

(Then, can we sell Smart Trainers in the tech channel of the MM?)

Back
Top Bottom