Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
This is obviously quite a long thread with lots of info throughout it. I'm looking to get back into iRacing but don't even have a PC yet, despite that I'm looking at what wheel setups are available. I think I used to use a Logitech G25 and I always thought it was pretty good. That was a long time ago though.

What is generally considered the best £150-300 wheel/pedal setup these days? I don't need a shifter as I use the paddles on the wheel.

I'll probably look to buy second hand.

Thanks

Soldato
Used at that price range I'd look at the likes of T300 RS or you might be able to find an older Fanatec CSL or clubsport, both have a whole ecosystem of parts/upgrades to expand into. I'd advise against a wheelbase with no upgrade potential like the t150/128/248 or any of the Logitech offerings.
You might be lucky to pull off a bargain and pick up a used TS-PC or XW if you haggle a bit. My mate just picked up a practically new TS-XW set for 325 and is having a great time with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Used at that price range I'd look at the likes of T300 RS or you might be able to find an older Fanatec CSL or clubsport, both have a whole ecosystem of parts/upgrades to expand into. I'd advise against a wheelbase with no upgrade potential like the t150/128/248 or any of the Logitech offerings.
You might be lucky to pull off a bargain and pick up a used TS-PC or XW if you haggle a bit. My mate just picked up a practically new TS-XW set for 325 and is having a great time with it.
Thank you, I'll have a look at those. Very happy to buy second hand to get more for my money.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Here's a question for you guys with aluminium profile rigs.

I have an 80x40 frame, and would like to add 4 caster wheels to it, to allow easier cleaning around it. Any good suggestions for solutions that could be bolted onto the profile?

Associate
Don't think you need anything too specific. I just bought some 75mm ones and attached them with the supplied screws and suitably sized T-nuts, M6 in this case.

2024-01-21 13.48.31.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
So I'm 99" sure I'm going for a GT Omega Prime cockpit, but not keen on their chairs from what I've seen/read. Anyone got this cockpit who can recommend a fiberglass seat which is good quality and comfortable for long sessions? :)

Soldato
Just wanted something with minimal flex, the GT omega seats aren't the best from what I've read. Are most seats universal and can be added to any cockpit? Quite new to this sort of thing.
I can confirm that whilst completely functional and reasonably comfortable, the GT Omega seat I'm using XL-RS, is indeed a bit "flexy". There is a fair bit of movement under heavy braking especially so with a stiff hydraulic pedal. I kind of expected this and buying the seat as a package deal with the rig was only a temporary measure. Its high on my priority list to replace.

As long as you know what mounts the seat requires you just have to ensure you get the correct mount to suit. Most Fibreglass buckets are side mount only, most universal sidemounts will be compatible with both the cockpit and the seat. I have the Sparco Circuit II and Sparco Alloy side mounts in the basket at the moment.

Soldato
I can confirm that whilst completely functional and reasonably comfortable, the GT Omega seat I'm using XL-RS, is indeed a bit "flexy". There is a fair bit of movement under heavy braking especially so with a stiff hydraulic pedal. I kind of expected this and buying the seat as a package deal with the rig was only a temporary measure. Its high on my priority list to replace.

As long as you know what mounts the seat requires you just have to ensure you get the correct mount to suit. Most Fibreglass buckets are side mount only, most universal sidemounts will be compatible with both the cockpit and the seat. I have the Sparco Circuit II and Sparco Alloy side mounts in the basket at the moment.

Thanks buddy. You got a link to that one plus the side mounts? :)

Soldato
Thanks buddy. You got a link to that one plus the side mounts? :)
Make sure you buy the non FIA rated seat, saves you around £100, As for the side mounts you can get much cheaper options, I plan to buy these as I like the aesthetics and stiffness. Had them before and they are chunky bit of metal, but zero flex. Pricey though!!!

If you hunt around you could probably find both a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Make sure you buy the non FIA rated seat, saves you around £100, As for the side mounts you can get much cheaper options, I plan to buy these as I like the aesthetics and stiffness. Had them before and they are chunky bit of metal, but zero flex. Pricey though!!!

Thanks buddy, any side mounts you would recommend for that seat in black? :)

Soldato
Thanks buddy, any side mounts you would recommend for that seat in black? :)
These would fit the 290mm side mount bolt spacing, are black and considerably cheaper! Never tried them personally but I'd be willing to trust them.

Last edited:
Soldato
These would fit the 290mm side mount bolt spacing, are black and considerably cheaper! Never tried them personally but I'd be willing to trust them.

Thanks, so daft question time - if I got the brackets/seat above with the Prime cockpit, does it allow the seat to be used on the slider out of the box? Would need a seat that can be adjusted without having to unbolt constantly :)

Soldato
Thanks, so daft question time - if I got the brackets/seat above with the Prime cockpit, does it allow the seat to be used on the slider out of the box? Would need a seat that can be adjusted without having to unbolt constantly :)
Dont know about using these with a slider, only ever hard mounted a bucket to a sim rig. I suppose as long as you can get the slider rails to be the correct width for the handle to connect both rails, it should work.

Soldato

I bought the TRACK RCR side mounts as they seem to offer the best adjustment

Soldato
Dont know about using these with a slider, only ever hard mounted a bucket to a sim rig. I suppose as long as you can get the slider rails to be the correct width for the handle to connect both rails, it should work.
To do that you need to bend the slider rail bar. Plenty of videos showing that as the slider comes in one size and needs to be manually adjusted for your seat

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone looking at buying TrakRacer swivel keyboard tray/desk, i'd suggest finding another solution, unless its going to live its life mostly in the same position. I use my rig daily for both driving and general gaming use. I've had this thing for maybe 5+ months now, its swung in and out multiple times a day and its trash now. Pivot points always need tightening, the swivels are made of cheese and bolts and washers are chewed up to hell. I try not to over tighten things however if you dont nip bolts up reasonably tight its a wobbly mess of a keyboard tray. Its just not held up to the test of time. I had my doubts when I put it together, but I didnt think it would be this bad, this quick. Maybe I'm just asking too much of it? I dunno...
Either way, I'm done with this keyboard tray! I'm on the hunt now for a more robust solution. If anyone is aware of something else on the market? Even if its a similar design with better quality materials. Any solution must allow use of KB/M as shown below, must pivot at multiple points to allow use in both traditional desk style and functional when swung out of the way when I'm driving.

Currently looking at something like this, or something similar. As long as it dosnt use those crappy chinesium pivots that a lot of rig manufacturers like to use.

Mines still hasn't arrived after being on back order since forever, if it turns out to be rubbish I'm going to be really mad.
This was the part that made me go TrakRacer over GT Omega, much to my regret already.

With regards to seats My XLRS has got more "flexy" since last year probably cause its on a firmer frame now but the back has deffo got some wobble since December, As I'm a bigger guy there's no chance of me putting my fat arse in a full on bucket seat (ive had to walk away from IRL cars for that reason) but i'd like an Audi sports seat from either a S or RS car as they have a nice balance between comfort and support. Unfortunately they are also 100% electric so not very practical to set up without WAY too much work.

Makes me miss the days of breakers yards and just going to find something, these days its all ebay and websites.

Back
Top Bottom