• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
If enough people drop out of PC gaming, it should self correct eventually. If we get to a point where only the rich can afford graphics card, why would developers bother developing for PC? As it is, its only Nvidias money that is paying for game developers to produce the really high end features like path tracing.

AMD and nVIDIA have other sources of making money, they can afford to experiment around. Gamers not so much...
As for nVIDIA money to develop features, well, nothing wrong in that. At least they pushing tech forward.

Thing I find quite funny is that people who go on about nvidia pricing and how they're taking the **** etc. are still running old gpus before 30xx/rdna 2 and even funnier, some still on turing, surely if amd are coming to the rescue with their options, these people have the upgrade path?

Yeah, AMD to the rescue is an illusion. They've proven already that aren't any better.

Soldato
Everyone comparing the new cards to a 3080 @ £650 when first released (I was lucky enough to snag one at that price), but how long did it actually stay at that price? Even at retailers brand new the price went up by at least £500 after the first month. That never happens usually does it, for instance when the PS5 & switch sold out everywhere and no one could get hold of one, the retailers didn’t just bump the prices up.
Sony and MS force retailers to sell for MSRP although some did try adding in bundles of games and accessories to bump the prices.

Tbf to Nvidia they did make cards available at MSRP but the greedy Aibs and retailers took advantage of the situation once they saw what people were paying scalpers.

Soldato
You either buy or get out of PC gaming.
My last highly price/performance ratio GPU was a R290. 2xxx and Radeon VII I should have skipped because bad price. 3xxx and 6xxx skip due to crypto bubble and covid. Now skip 4xxx and 7xxx again thanks to bad pricing. So, what options do we have in this highly profit is all that matters mindset market? Both companies increased prices while Intel can't keep up yet - probably will join the dance once he can make good enough GPUs.

So... either buy or you quit PC gaming. If you buy, it doesn't mean you accept the situation, you're just forced into it.

I only ever buy 2nd hand cards these days. Let the early adopter tax/faults get sorted out by others.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
As for the 10GB of the 3080, yes it felt very odd compared to the 11GB of the 2080Ti and 1080Ti before it but it was dictated by the 320-bit bus, something that I noted earlier hasn't been repeated on the 40-series.

Some seem to be forgetting there was what should have been the sweet spot version which was the 12GB model at the time. This was often quite near to or the same price as the 10GB version for a long period, so if you missed the boat of the msrp/FE frenzy it seemed to be balanced to dominate that tier. Its a shame the scalpers and crypto period skewed how this would have really panned out, but this gen there has been no such thing to push up the prices which is why people are miffed.

Caporegime
If the 4080 is out of my price range Ie above £1000 then I'll probably end up buying the 4070 ti super! Just needs to power my games at max settings at OLED WIIIIIIIIIDE ;)

Really looking forward to going back to Ratchet and Clank,Witcher 3 RT and Alan Wake 2 RT

Caporegime
You either buy or get out of PC gaming.
My last highly price/performance ratio GPU was a R290. 2xxx and Radeon VII I should have skipped because bad price. 3xxx and 6xxx skip due to crypto bubble and covid. Now skip 4xxx and 7xxx again thanks to bad pricing. So, what options do we have in this highly profit is all that matters mindset market? Both companies increased prices while Intel can't keep up yet - probably will join the dance once he can make good enough GPUs.

So... either buy or you quit PC gaming. If you buy, it doesn't mean you accept the situation, you're just forced into it.
Or you keep going with what you've got. Whether it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or more generations old. If you don't have a PC/GPU there's always the 2nd hand market.

Keep lowering the details and/or resolution (or for most, let the game handle choosing the gfx settings itself).

I don't think anyone is forced into paying the prices nVidia is asking this gen. As evidenced by plenty of us not buying and still playing the odd PC game :p

Of course the continual gouging does make consoles more attractive. Quite a few of us will also have PS5s or whatever, as it's not an either/or thing.

It must be fairly obvious to game developers when people stop upgrading and keep using what they've got. So they in turn would adapt to whatever the average gamer is using (if they want to sell anything).

Caporegime
This. I genuinely would never spend 1k+ on a gpu
It just doesn't sit well with me. Regardless of having the money or not (or permission from your other half or not :p) I could never put down that amount of money on something so frivolous. I would feel terrible if I did.

And it would be a capitulation to the outright greed of companies like nVidia.

Associate
It just doesn't sit well with me. Regardless of having the money or not (or permission from your other half or not :p) I could never put down that amount of money on something so frivolous. I would feel terrible if I did.

And it would be a capitulation to the outright greed of companies like nVidia.
I agree it just does not feel right and Nvidia's greed has pushed me towards AMD, yes they are as guilty in rising prices and playing about with the GPU stack, but AMD at least understood there was only so far they can go.

At present I wait on Intel's BattleMage before deciding or if to late in the year, just wait for the next gen cards, but I will by in the mid-range, 4070S/7800XT, rather than the next tier up, and wait a few years to see if the market corrects the pricing.

Soldato
I don't mind spending £1+K for a GPU... I do mind spending £1K on a GPU and getting something which in any other generation would have probably been a x60 class product :s

Yeah I get it’s a hobby and at the end of the day people will spend what they can afford. It just not something I’d be willing to part with - but yes the performance increase absolutely isn’t worth it!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

For anyone who wants the absolute king of GPU's we have loads of 4090's in stock, even better SKU's from MSRP of £1589:

Man of Honour
Yeah I get it’s a hobby and at the end of the day people will spend what they can afford. It just not something I’d be willing to part with - but yes the performance increase absolutely isn’t worth it!

I do a bit of dabbling with ray tracing on the side, some game modding, so having a reasonably decent GPU is worth it to me, but I can't bring myself to pay the 4000 series prices - ironically I'd sooner buy a 4090 than anything else in the line up.

Soldato
Soldato
Some seem to be forgetting there was what should have been the sweet spot version which was the 12GB model at the time. This was often quite near to or the same price as the 10GB version for a long period, so if you missed the boat of the msrp/FE frenzy it seemed to be balanced to dominate that tier. Its a shame the scalpers and crypto period skewed how this would have really panned out, but this gen there has been no such thing to push up the prices which is why people are miffed.

The 3080 12GB didn't launch until Jan 2022 though, a full 16 months after the original 3080 launch and only 8 months before 40-series launched.

Soldato
Doesn't really change anything as its 2fps difference at 4k, also the gap between the 4070ti super and 4090 is 60% which is larger than the gap between the 3070 and 3090 which was 50%.
Screenshot-739.png

Associate
Doesn't really change anything as its 2fps difference at 4k, also the gap between the 4070ti super and 4090 is 60% which is larger than the gap between the 3070 and 3090 which was 50%.
Screenshot-739.png
Only a 4fps difference at 1440p as well - so an 8fps increase from a regular 4070Ti to a 70ti Super. At least it improved?

If AMD makes the 7900XT 699 (like it was priced at when a large group of us here bought it) then really the only reason you'd buy the 70Ti Super is for access those Nvidia features like Reflex, DLSS3 and much better Ray Tracing performance etc.

I think it then entirely depends on how much those features are worth to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom