Anyone using Wegovy?

Soldato
Hey,

NOT A MEDICAL THREAD... heh.

I've started on Wegovy last week on Thursday. (0.25mg)
Starting weight 100.2KG..
Target 85KG.
1KG lost already as of this morning weigh.

I've noticed a lack of appetite and a complete "meh" approach to all the foods I liked to eat / drink. Very odd.

No side effects.

Anyone else on here using Wegovy? What has been your experience?

Soldato
OP
Out of curiosity is this prescribed or just over-the-counter? If the latter what is the cost?
Prescribed by Boots Online Doctor (Private GP basically). Basically anyone with a BMI over 30 can get it.
£200 per month. I'm doing it as a way to try and super accelerate weight loss to try and stop the need to use a CPAP machine and be cleared of my Sleep Apnea diagnosis.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i've not read much into it, but i do wonder what the rebound effects are when stopping...i wonder whether the weight gain would be in excess of the original weight

Associate
i've not read much into it, but i do wonder what the rebound effects are when stopping...i wonder whether the weight gain would be in excess of the original weight
If you go back to eating the way you did before, you'll put on weight the way you did before...
If you use the drug as an opportunity to change the way you eat permanently, you should be ok?

I wonder if I can get my Aviva GP to prescribe this - and even pay for it :D

Last edited:
Underboss
However you're going to do it, getting fitter can't be a bad thing.

Good on you, mix that with a healthy diet and some exercise and you should be onto a winner, although a £200 a month spend is a bit much for me personally.

Soldato
Best of luck with it, you've got a genuine reason for the "shortcut" here but for others considering it as a method of general weight loss* then please do bear in mind that £200/month over a 12 month course for a statistical 66% chance at a net sustained loss of 8kg after 2 years is actually pretty cost-inefficient compared to the cost of alternatives that would certainly help sustain a healthier lifestyle.

Example: £2400 could be spent on a decent wedge of pre-cooked healthy meals and a PT for 3-4 months to achieve the same net loss and kickstart your motivation into keeping a decent exercise regime.

*Assuming you're not prediabetes or other marker that would lead you to being eligible for an NHS prescription..

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen quite a lot about this, some of which suggests that it's more muscle loss then fat loss apparently (confirmed via dexascan)

If you are paying the full cost yourself I got no issues.

If it's being subsided or funded by the NHS...... basically can't post my true feelings towards someone in that position because I would get banned from this forum.
But what if it saves the NHS much larger future expenditure by preventing other weight induced conditions?

Associate

If it's being subsided or funded by the NHS...... basically can't post my true feelings towards someone in that position because I would get banned from this forum.
OK, maybe to give you a different point of view:
This is my garmin history since October 2023:
Activities84
Total Distance884.53 km
Total Activity Time61:02:28 h:m:s
Activity Calories28,198
Total Ascent2,646 m
Average Speed14.5 kph
Average Heart Rate134 bpm
Average Run Cadence83 spm
Average Bike Cadence79 rpm

I have cut out refined carbs, I am intermittent fasting (16:8) and am restricting snacking as much as I can. My resting heart rate has dropped from 80s to high 60s. My BP is dropping.

I have dropped only 2kg since then.

Would love to know what else you think you should try before I resort to the health service that my NI and tax pays for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously a very black and white view to what is clearly a more complex issue, however if it was either pay £200 per month for a weight loss drug or eat significantly less calories for a much lower cost, I'd be going for the latter.

OK, maybe to give you a different point of view:
This is my garmin history since October 2023:
Activities84
Total Distance884.53 km
Total Activity Time61:02:28 h:m:s
Activity Calories28,198
Total Ascent2,646 m
Average Speed14.5 kph
Average Heart Rate134 bpm
Average Run Cadence83 spm
Average Bike Cadence79 rpm

I have cut out refined carbs, I am intermittent fasting (16:8) and am restricting snacking as much as I can. My resting heart rate has dropped from 80s to high 60s. My BP is dropping.

I have dropped only 2kg since then.

Would love to know what else you think you should try before I resort to the health service that my NI and tax pays for?

Sounds like great progress and shows that weight / BMI alone is not a perfect indicator of health.

If there's a particular weight target that you're aiming for, then it surely depends mainly on calories in vs calories burnt.

28,198 calories since 1st November is roughly 291 per day. I could easily imagine over eating by 291 calories per day and completely offsetting any calories burnt during exercise.

In fact, I've just checked my Garmin and I've averages around 460 active calories per day since January 1st. Since then, my weight hasn't changed at all. My Garmin thinks I've burnt on average 2571 calories per day, based on my weight and height.

Diet outweighs exercise massively when it comes to weight loss.

Associate
Obviously a very black and white view to what is clearly a more complex issue, however if it was either pay £200 per month for a weight loss drug or eat significantly less calories for a much lower cost, I'd be going for the latter.

Sounds like great progress and shows that weight / BMI alone is not a perfect indicator of health.

If there's a particular weight target that you're aiming for, then it surely depends mainly on calories in vs calories burnt.

28,198 calories since 1st November is roughly 291 per day. I could easily imagine over eating by 291 calories per day and completely offsetting any calories burnt during exercise.

In fact, I've just checked my Garmin and I've averages around 460 active calories per day since January 1st. Since then, my weight hasn't changed at all. My Garmin thinks I've burnt on average 2571 calories per day, based on my weight and height.

Diet outweighs exercise massively when it comes to weight loss.
For context I am 122kg at 5'9.
I do have a big build, my lean mass when last measured was around 70kg, so for me 85-90kg is about as healthy as I want to be. I know diet outweighs exercise, which is why I'm also not snacking, low carbing and doing IF.
The point I'm making is that sometimes, it's not laziness or greed-driven to want a bit of help with the weight loss, and to paint everyone with the same brush is objectionable.

Caporegime
I started to diet last Wednesday, simply by using Myfitnesspal and calorie counting. Aiming for 1600 calories a day. I found out I can do this EASILY by eating normally, the only difference is I cut out the snacks.

p.s. I've done this before and lost like 4 stone in about 6 months.

vHFjYCb.png

Last edited:
Soldato

I don't mind if we ban all free treatments for issues caused by non-essential activities, but then we end up in an argument about what is essential.

Back
Top Bottom