• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Caporegime
I might be out of touch, but if the power delivery is the limiting factor could under volting not potentially be more beneficial?

Just reducing the voltage by 50mv on mine netted me 4% more performance, upping the power limit 15% can net you a chunk more and beyond that you can still pump the clocks by 300 Mhz.

Its a shame they have locked the memory overclocking, i suspect its something to do with them only having 18 Gb/s memory IC's to begin with, i get the feeling the IMC on these GPU's aren't capable of much more and some of them might not be 100% stable at their stock 20 Gb/s, these GRE cards might be failed IMC RMA's and all they have done is put slower memory IC's on them.
However on the core and power limits they clock much the same way as the rest of the 7000 series line up and with that you can still get more than 10% added performance from doing so.

Last edited:
Associate
What is odd is the digital foundry review finding a bigger difference between the 7800xt and 7900gre. The say the 7900gre is the better value.

Associate
Has there been any announcement on when these are available today as I'm curious how disappointing the UK prices will be? A bit of research suggests some of the smaller cards will fit my case so one of these could be a contender.

Caporegime
Has there been any announcement on when these are available today as I'm curious how disappointing the UK prices will be? A bit of research suggests some of the smaller cards will fit my case so one of these could be a contender.

Nope, usual time would be 2pm, as for pricing allegedly around £519, but as we know with retailers they love to take the ****.

Soldato
OP
It's not a bad price.

But I think I'd rather get a B grade RX 7900 XT or RTX 4070 TI if I was buying now, they're both priced at £600.

Associate
Price doesn't seem bad at at all - but really it just highlights how odd AMD's naming has been for this 7000 series.

Looks like there has been price cuts to the 7800XT and 7700XT in the US so I wonder if those will cuts will eventually come across too.

Back
Top Bottom