Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Has anyone any experience with DeWalt hedge trimmers. Do they use the same batteries as the drills (only reason I’m considering)
DeWalt's 2 main battery technologies are XR (18V) and FlexVolt (54V). So most likely you have XR batteries and yes the trimmer would use them. You'd prob want some big capacity batteries e.g. 4Ah or higher.

Soldato
I’ve got the standard XR model and yes it uses the normal 18V XR batteries.

Pretty sure they also do a 54V flex volt version which is more expensive and you’ll need the flex volt (54/18v) battery.

Soldato
I think I might need a router, is this any good:

Soldato

I've used a couple of these for work (guitar making) in the past. Good enough for finer work, not sure they take a ½" collet.

Note there's no fine adjustment dial - I think the POF1400 has that. Doesn't affect most DIY work though. You can adjust depth with the depth stop.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Has anyone any experience with DeWalt hedge trimmers. Do they use the same batteries as the drills (only reason I’m considering)
I've got the standard 18V version DC563? maybe, got it second hand after a mate got rid of his hedges and I was really surprised by it.
I have about 40m of hedge between us and a neighbour and used it for a trim and tidy last week and it used 2/3 of 5AH battery, it cut great and much less stress than a cabled trimmer.
My regular trimmer is a 1m Bosch but needs 2 extension cables to reach the top of the garden, what normally takes me about about 2-3hrs I was done in 1hr.

Soldato

I use the below that is on a good price atm.

1/4" collet.

Soldato
Thanks @aVdub and @LuckyBenski

I need it to trim (or at least make a first pass to enable another tool to go over for a final cut) a door trim/framed edge piece - i only need to trim off a few mil so thinking this might be a good tool to use?

I also think I might need it to create a step cut (if that is the right term to use, instead of a rounded edge I want 90 degree cut) in a frame I'm building which I think I need to fit a shower tray on to.

Lots of 'thinking' and guesswork there but especially on the latter point I should know more today.

So I need to cut into a thin piece of trim and and also 18mm OSB, do I need 1/2inch size? Why can't they use metric, always confuses me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks @aVdub and @LuckyBenski

I need it to trim (or at least make a first pass to enable another tool to go over for a final cut) a door trim/framed edge piece - i only need to trim off a few mil so thinking this might be a good tool to use?

I also think I might need it to create a step cut (if that is the right term to use, instead of a rounded edge I want 90 degree cut) in a frame I'm building which I think I need to fit a shower tray on to.

Lots of 'thinking' and guesswork there but especially on the latter point I should know more today.

So I need to cut into a thin piece of trim and and also 18mm OSB, do I need 1/2inch size? Why can't they use metric, always confuses me.

TBH As long as you don't go Arnie on it a 1/4" will be fine.

I've got both, but much prefer to use the 1/4" Bosch I listed above.

Soldato
Ok I’ve had various mowers over the years mostly ranging between £250-£600 so at the lower end of the scale. Best ones I had were always Honda based all rotary. (Never really maintained them. Just used and abused.

Nothing has come close to the Big Red. Instant power, smooth and drives without the blade spinning. The way it folds so you can store it standing up is brilliant. The biggest improvement over the others is the lift. I have never ever seen a mower completely ram the grass box!! And I talking about rammed full of grass and that’s without trying to do the kick trick.

Soldato
Soldato
Whether they are actually legit cells or not is another question though. If they are legit cells, are they are grade A (e.g. meet the spec) or lower. The worse option is they are legit cells but they are factory rejects because the failed QA.

It will probably be fine, but I wouldn’t charge it unsupervised just in case.

Soldato

I've done some cabinet making with one of these and as long as you take your time it's a perfectly serviceable router, dust collection is fairly good but can be a little awkward form a visibility POV. I've got a Triton for my home built router table which has fine controls and rapid plunge which is a very nice bit of kit but overkill for occasional use DIY.

Soldato
I have two routers - the 1/4” bosch 1200 and a makita trimmer router (also 1/4”).
If you’re doing big stuff then a 1/2” will do better but they get expensive. For simple stuff like small cabs and guitars then the makita can do it but 700W is starting to feel a little low powered.
Higher powered it’a probably better going for a router table especially with longer cuts for consistency.

Back
Top Bottom