Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Anyone have a bosted DeWalt trim router? The case is broken on mine :(

Soldato
Going to have to face a patch of land behind my house that’s massively overgrown with brambles, which going forward is going to be a regular battle, so I was contemplating investing in a garden multitool, that I can use for brush cutting that mess, and then for trimming back trees, hedges etc, and to replace our POS 18v Spear & Jackson line trimmer that I got 2 years ago when it finally quits life.

I was all set to buy a petrol Titan job from Screwfix, but seeing as I’m already invested in Makita tools, and have enough batteries to run one (2 x 4ah, 2 x 5ah) I’m sort of leaning towards the 36v DUX60 multi tool. Has anyone used one of these? I’m just a bit dubious as to whether it would possess sufficient cojones to take on a rather large patch of brambles, being electric and all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t have one but my 18V dewalt string strimmer is an absolute beast compared to my old cheap 240v Ryobi and will go through pretty thick vegetation, including smaller brambles and it’s not even a brush cutter. I tend to only use it in speed setting 1 of 2.

I wouldn’t have any concerns getting the Dewalt brush cutter, pretty sure it runs on their 54v battery rather than 2X18V but I expect the Makita will be just as good.

Associate
Any recommendations for mid range sliding mitre saw and plunge/track saw. It doesn't have to be battery as will be most of the work in the garage.

Associate
Anyone else notice Makita power tool prices are through the roof now?

Haven't looked for new tools in a couple years and prices have skyrocketed since then...

I bought this for £90 back in 2017 it's now £319:

9" Grinder

A couple 6AH 18v batteries used to be £100 now they're selling 2x 5ah for £122

I still need a small grinder, the 40v chop saw and some garden tools (hedge cutter/lawn mower) to add to my collection but will have to wait for deals.

Soldato
Those prices look normal. Even back in 2017 I can’t say I’d seen 2x 6ah batteries for £100, more like each and you’d be about right. They’ve always been very expensive.

Are you sure it’s like for like?

Last edited:
Associate
Going to have to face a patch of land behind my house that’s massively overgrown with brambles, which going forward is going to be a regular battle, so I was contemplating investing in a garden multitool, that I can use for brush cutting that mess, and then for trimming back trees, hedges etc, and to replace our POS 18v Spear & Jackson line trimmer that I got 2 years ago when it finally quits life.

I was all set to buy a petrol Titan job from Screwfix, but seeing as I’m already invested in Makita tools, and have enough batteries to run one (2 x 4ah, 2 x 5ah) I’m sort of leaning towards the 36v DUX60 multi tool. Has anyone used one of these? I’m just a bit dubious as to whether it would possess sufficient cojones to take on a rather large patch of brambles, being electric and all.

I clear footpaths with a Makita brushcutter. It is a Makita DUR369AZ 18Vx2 LXT Brushless Brush Cutter and I use it with the metal blade. Forget strimmers and the bike handles and spare 5ah or 6ah batteries are a must for bigger jobs. For the sides of hedges I use a DUN500WRTE pole trimmer that uses a single 18v battery.

Soldato
Cheers chaps. They have the FatMax Pro for the same price so think I'll pick up that with 50 blades. Part of my issue is I bought like miniature blades if that's even a thing so this'll definitely solve my issue :cry:

Ts doing 5% off every basket too.

Yeah, they are crap, I have the older version of one and any serious work and the blades come loose.. also the number of times mines sprung open is not funny.

I'm going to get one of those bosch ones linked above, it seems to address all the issues I have with the FatMax Pro..
Utter crap - ended up returning it last week. Will grab the Bosch one I think!

Associate
Back
Top Bottom