Who was your first ISP?

Associate
zen 512kbs

zen was mine and for the 18 months i was with them couldn't fault the connection or the service - migrated to plus net as they were offering 2mb for the same price

Associate
Dougsnake said:
Same :) ah the days didnt last that long but introduced me to the world of the t`internet.
Think i then went to worldonline (bad choice) followed by gamesnet (RIP) vispa and freeserve until i eventually got adsl in 2003 (eclipse) how things have changed since then.......

That's a good point...wasn't it actually Worldonline that took over screaming.net before Tiscali took them over? I seem to remember using Worldonline too now the name's been mentioned!

Soldato
Back in the days when i had a Pentium 100, I purchased a 14.4 fax/modem for nearly £100 and used it to connect to CompuServe.

Then for a long long time i used Freeseve, first wth a 33.6 modem, then a 56k one. And for a short time i also tried BT ISDN.

Ever since been on broadband, ive tried AOL, NTL, BT, Bulldog then back to BT

Soldato
Toytown said:
Lol [email protected], even though i havent used them for almost 7/8 years i can still remember it by heart. haha

They were my first ISP, before local calls were used, i phoned a national rate number, then had to pay something like 9.99/12.99 a month which gave me about 6-10 hours surfing, after that you had to pay 1.99 an hour , plus call charges. All on a 28k modem :(

Sounds about right.

I remember getting my 28.8k Pace modem for about £30 and being dead chuffed! :D

Soldato
The thing about CompuServe/AOL was that including the phone bill you also got charged by the hour for using their service on top of that. Got stung a fair bit when I realised, thankfully the days of £400 Internet-related bills are long gone for me. :eek:

Soldato
afraser2k said:
The thing about CompuServe/AOL was that including the phone bill you also got charged by the hour for using their service on top of that. Got stung a fair bit when I realised, thankfully the days of £400 Internet-related bills are long gone for me. :eek:

lol, I used to play quake, religiously online,,, one time racked up a £250 quarterly phone bill :(
all for pings of 180 and random disconnects.

Caporegime
Wireplay dial up on 56k, and then gaming on their servers with a 1337 101ms ping.

Freeserver 56k for everything but gaming.

THe 0800 ones lmao, yes i flirted with them too, 2h disconections, and about 30 attempts to connect, happy days.

My god my phone bills were huge back then. :(

Soldato
been with NTL since the 56k days(about 8years)
dispute what we all read about NT hell i haven't had any big problems with them, a few downtimes (but i work nights and most upgrades etc happen at night so i haven't had many times were i haven't been able to use it)

Soldato
Ohh Globalnet on our 28k modem! around 1997. It was actually my dad's office account so we had to ring up his office when we wanted to use it incase we got caught!

After that Freeserve, then freeserve free offpeak, then got Freeserve Broadband in '02

Man of Honour
When the providers first came out they all offered a month free and even in those days somebody hacked a free month to a few months. It started to get harder to find a hacked provider and word of mouth finally found a provider it was worth paying for and they were called Zetnet from the Shetland Isles.
I think this was around 92.
Just noticed that Zetnet are now in Manchester.

Suspended
BT on 56k dial-up for several years and then for a short period on isdn, a change to AOL whilst still on isdn due to them not kicking you off every 2 hour's. Then back to BT when broadband finaly arrived and then a change to Force9 just over a year ago.

:)

Soldato
Freeserve 56k! I remember it was like something around £8 a month with unlimited usage after 6pm and weekends for free but the standard rate during normal times.

Now im on a nice fast Bulldog 8MB connection totally unthrottled/uncapped/unblocked :)

Back
Top Bottom