"Android is much more customizable"

Soldato
Badboy2k3 your barking up the wrong tree tbh.....my point still stands.

YOUR CRYING ABOUT NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

ps I also fail to see how I agreed with you in a previous post, your clearly not reading my posts properly.

Last edited:
Associate
Badboy2k3, why don’t you come up with a real reason why he the OP should go for an iPhone, instead of worrying about some silly doomsday scenario.
It's not like you have to use 3rd party ROMS, but simply having the option to do so is a major benefit.

Customization is possible on many levels.
Take Launcher Pro for example. You gain great usability using it without having to take any risk.

Multiple home screens, widgets and portable wifi hotspot are just a few of dozens of reasons why to go the android route.

Caporegime
I couldn't agree more.

Which is what it comes down to for me. Once you have the UI as you want it, you then use the phone the same way as anyone else uses a normal phone. In that respect it loses out to the iphone for me.
Iphone does have some annoying things though, like no bluetooth sending of pictures!!!

Associate
Badboy2k3, why don’t you come up with a real reason why he the OP should go for an iPhone, instead of worrying about some silly doomsday scenario.
It's not like you have to use 3rd party ROMS, but simply having the option to do so is a major benefit.

Customization is possible on many levels.
Take Launcher Pro for example. You gain great usability using it without having to take any risk.

Multiple home screens, widgets and portable wifi hotspot are just a few of dozens of reasons why to go the android route.

He should get a Blackberry :p lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10928070

Ok so it's not because the phone was rooted with a different ROM, it's due to a dodgy app and a few idiot users but attacks like this can happen when you start tinkering with the device and installing things on it you shouldn't which is what i was trying to get across.

Granted you should know what you're doing and check everything over etc etc but these things can happen and you increase the risk when using unofficial apps/roms and that points valid for both iPhone and Android users.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same old, same old.

You can customise <-- iPhone user: "I don't want to customise"

You get free satnav and free cloud syncing <-- iPhone user: "I don't want free services"

You can WiFi Tether <-- iPhone user: "I bought an iPhone, I can only just about use a colouring in book whilst keeping within the lines. Let alone know what WiFi Tether is"

You can use flash <-- iPhone user: "I don't use flash (oh but you try to Mr iPhone user, your Youtube application only supports certain YT content that's been encoded to H.264)"

Same old arguments, same old responses.

Permabanned
Android is indeed customizable, one thing is that these Custom Roms that are been cooked still don't work 100% even after full testing there is still issues happening with these Roms.

As for the Apple devices, they just work out the box.

Soldato
He should get a Blackberry :p lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10928070

Ok so it's not because the phone was rooted with a different ROM, it's due to a dodgy app and a few idiot users but attacks like this can happen when you start tinkering with the device and installing things on it you shouldn't which is what i was trying to get across.

Granted you should know what you're doing and check everything over etc etc but these things can happen and you increase the risk when using unofficial apps/roms and that points valid for both iPhone and Android users.

do you surround yourself in cotton wool and wear a crash helmet everyday bc you sound like you do?
you also sound like one of those freaks that if they ever had kids wouldnt let them out in the back garden in case they fall over and hurt their bums.

and btw - android apps you can see exactly what processes it wants to use before installing it.
and in your link this app was done by sms , anyone that installs it is an idiot and clearly incapable of any common sense.

you started with roms and you lost that argument so now your clutching at straws and pulled something on apps. your whole argument is falling on its ass, and posting links like that just prove your getting desperate now.

have you ever heard of Stuxnet? your probably start crying and building your shelter once you here what that can do - grab your spade!

Last edited:
Soldato
the point is customising whilst it sounds fun gets boring -->in my opinion<--.

It's not like you have to constantly customise your phone. So how can it be boring?

I tried about 2 or 3 different roms. Found the one I liked and stuck with it. That's that. No more customising. If you find customising boring then why are you bothering to do it, when as you said yourself you already had the ideal solution right out of the box?

Associate
Android is indeed customizable, one thing is that these Custom Roms that are been cooked still don't work 100% even after full testing there is still issues happening with these Roms.

Obviously they can’t all work flawlessly, even your precious iOS isn’t flawless.
However there are some damn good ones, and again, it’s about having options and not being forced to be a drone, using and doing only what Lord Jobs allows you to :p

As for Apple devices working out of the box, are you trying to say that Android devices don’t work out of the box? Seriously?
You probably never even used an Android device, let alone a custom ROM.

Custom ROMs are the pinnacle of customization. Why don’t you try trashing the other means of customization instead of going for the most extreme example?

Also, there is much more to Android than just customization.. as I have mentioned before.

Associate
Look i'm not preaching anything, just pointing out a potential risk when using cooked roms, same goes for people who Jailbreak iPhones.

Something that might seem like a small risk for some can be seen as a bigger risk by others and i guess this conversation proves it.

Why offer advise on getting a Blackberry when all of your data is stored in Canada.

If you're going to worry about using a custom ROM that might be a potential security threat, then why are you not worrying about that?

After all, we all know how close Canada is to those pesky Americans that want all of our bank account details:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6945972.ece

Soldato
Can't believe the bickering in this thread. Its all boringly reminiscent of the Graphics Card forum Third World "flame" War.

I just got my Desire last week and am loving it.

It would be nice if somebody addressed the OPs points in his first post in a sensible way. I too am wondering what the benefits are of these custom ROMs. I do not have time or the will to read the giant Desire thread.

What are the advantages over the stock ROM?

Associate
Well on my San Francisco the custom ROM means I don't need to put up with the Orange garbage that came with the stock ROM. As a part of it the developer also updated a lot of the built in apps like Google Maps etc.

Soldato
Can't believe the bickering in this thread. Its all boringly reminiscent of the Graphics Card forum Third World "flame" War.

I just got my Desire last week and am loving it.

It would be nice if somebody addressed the OPs points in his first post in a sensible way. I too am wondering what the benefits are of these custom ROMs. I do not have time or the will to read the giant Desire thread.

What are the advantages over the stock ROM?

It depends on what the ROM cook has put into the ROM, but the most common additions they put in are:

• AP2SD (Which links /data/app, /data/dalvik-cache, /data/app-private to the SDCard. This is because the Desire by default doesn't have a large enough data partition.
  • Symlinking the bootanimation file to /data/local because the system partition it's usually on is mounted as read only. So you can't write a new bootanimation to it without going into recovery
  • Custom Kernels - These include undervolted kernels to save on battery, new governors that control how the CPU frequency reacts to different loads. For example, I compiled my own Kernel that undervolts the processor by 100mV and uses a governor that locks the CPU at 245mhz when the phone isn't in use.
  • Kernel modules - People have compiled popular linux modules to work with the Desire, you can connect to VPNs and also connect the shares via CIFs, NFS etc.
  • Replacement library files that make the phone run faster (a little bit like drivers)
  • AOSP builds for the Desire, this is basically pure Android compiled from the ASOP GIT and as a result they don't run Sense

There's loads more, some custom ROMs are constant WIP because it's the ROM cooks hobby. However there are ROMs that take the latest HTC base and just add the few most requested features such as AP2SD+. Those cooks won't change anything else as they want a near as stock ROM.

There's issues with the stock ROMs, there's issues with the Apple iOS software hence why both HTC and Apple release updates.

Yes, there's custom ROMs that tinker so much they break things at a software level but there's also ROMs that take the base ROM and don't change much with stability in mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom