"Android is much more customizable"

Man of Honour
Also something to note, as soon as you Jailbreak your iPhone, all of the nice Apple 'polish' goes away and all the Cydia apps and so on all look absolutely horrible.

Soldato
Also something to note, as soon as you Jailbreak your iPhone, all of the nice Apple 'polish' goes away and all the Cydia apps and so on all look absolutely horrible.

Fancy backing this up?

I've never noticed the lack of 'polish' when jailbroken.

Soldato
Fancy backing this up?

I've never noticed the lack of 'polish' when jailbroken.

He's right in saying Cydia and the apps it provides are mostly a bit naff looking, but the OS itself doesn't change, and personally I'd say the ability to theme it can make it look even better than stock. Mine does, anyway :D

Basically, Android rocks because it does more out of the box than the iPhone does. And yes, I am missing it. However, moving back to Android would mean having to put up with the noticeably inferior app marketplace, and the rougher UI that Android has.

It's very frustrating for me... someone really needs to build a phone with the build quality and UI design of the iPhone, but with a decent OS on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
He's right in saying Cydia and the apps it provides are mostly a bit naff looking, but the OS itself doesn't change, and personally I'd say the ability to theme it can make it look even better than stock. Mine does, anyway :D

Sure, I can't say I've ever noticed anything changing when jailbroken bar a cydia icon (in terms of user experience). I don't think some of the apps provided look all that bad? No worse than some of the android apps I'm sure.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think it was worth mentioning nor making a point out of.

Permabanned
To have an options menu with an app on the iphone, you have to put a bar at the bottom of the app, wasting display space.

I like to press Menu on my Android phone, unlike Fisher Price handsets.

It's obvious Apple only trust you with one button. Might get a bit complicated else.

Soldato
To have an options menu with an app on the iphone, you have to put a bar at the bottom of the app, wasting display space.

I like to press Menu on my Android phone, unlike Fisher Price handsets.

Yeah, this annoys me. I also miss the 'back' button, default on Android handsets. Attention Apple: Sometimes Buttons Can Be Useful.

Soldato
I have one and its my opinion?

Android has far more polish than a Jailbroken iPhone.

I didn't mean to get your back up... It was just a bold claim and goes against all of the experience I've had.

Same goes for your second statement, I think you are way off the mark personally. Bar the cydia app nothing changes to the experience. If you install crap... Sure but that's the same with android surely? :)

I'm seeing a lot of big statements being thrown around with nothing to back them up.

What did you feel the cydia icon took away from the polished iOS?

Man of Honour
What did you feel the cydia icon took away from the polished iOS?

A lot of the Cydia apps don't seem as good as the official ones when it comes to the interface/design of it, I'm not saying they are all bad.

Its just my opinion that if you feel the need to Jailbreak your iPhone for you to 'get the most out of it', you should have got an Android phone to begin with.

For out of the box stuff, there is no doubt the iPhone is better due to its simplicity and slightly better polish.

Soldato
A lot of the Cydia apps don't seem as good as the official ones when it comes to the interface/design of it, I'm not saying they are all bad.

Its just my opinion that if you feel the need to Jailbreak your iPhone for you to 'get the most out of it', you should have got an Android phone to begin with.

I agree, generally speaking the official apps are of a better quality... and there at a lot of them.

You could argue the same with android, I know it's not quite the same but most people root and are forever messing around with ROMS to find a setup they like. Is this good? For some people sure, and I certainly went through this stage many years ago. I guess I've kind of grown out of it.

Not sure I'm on board with this "simplicity" attitude either, when does a phone need to be complicated? User experience is paramount, keeping it simple is fundamental. Does it make iPhone users retarded? It certainly does not...

Permabanned
so i assume you run linux ? seeing as the exact same thing can be said about windows Vs linux

Yeh, I have both Windows and Linux boxes.

Thing is Windows can do 99% of what linux does and is better than it for everyday tasks. I only use linux when I have to. I'm not totally ignorant to the main stream.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure I'm on board with this "simplicity" attitude either, when does a phone need to be complicated? User experience is paramount, keeping it simple is fundamental. Does it make iPhone users retarded? It certainly does not...

I completely agree, customising things isn't for everyone, and its not really necessary either.

Back
Top Bottom