Retro console and games thread

Caporegime
Will post a proper thread when I get chance, but I'm currently in the process of building a MAME cabinet and a digital pinball machine with a 40" 1080p Samsung LCD as the playfield, both cabs are being built by myself from scratch, long way to go yet but the MAME cab is coming along OK.

MAME cab is based on plans from Mameroom, and the Pinball machine is using Williams Widebody specs, one will run Hyperspin and the other Hyperpin.

Theme wise MAME cab will be Space Invaders, not sure what to do with the pinball machine, thinking either Back to the Future or T2.

imag0066kt.jpg

imag0070n.jpg

imag0071fy.jpg

imag0079yq.jpg

Massive way to go yet, painting need to be finished / all the artwork needs buying / front bezel / t-moulding / the list is endless.

Once I've finished these two I'm moving onto a 2 player sit down driving machine (think Sega Rally / GTI Club) style), then a digital jukebox, once I've built that lot my games room will be finished :)

Last edited:
Associate
That cab's coming along nicely, but it'd have to have a big crt in it if it was me (especially as i've got several proper arcade monitors in a variety of sizes stored in the loft as spares for some of my other cabs :) ). I just can't hack lcd's in arcade cabinets!

Caporegime
Cheers chaps, its great fun building something like this, really gets you thinking and learning new skills!

Liking your vision Firestar_3x, if only my mates were interested in all this.

I'd particularly love the GTi Club style cabinet, that would be awesome especially two next to each other!

GTI Club is my fav arcade racer, i love the proper handbrake, shame i can't get a version working correctly at home, perhaps one for the future.....

Initial plan is a GTI club style 2 player sitdown cab, two lcd tv's, will run with two original xbox's to start then figure a proper path forwards when i fancy chucking some more money in.

That cab's coming along nicely, but it'd have to have a big crt in it if it was me (especially as i've got several proper arcade monitors in a variety of sizes stored in the loft as spares for some of my other cabs :) ). I just can't hack lcd's in arcade cabinets!

Suppose i could change out at somepoint, its a CRT based cab at the end of the day, think it will take a 27" arcade screen, for me an LCD is the more practical option since its going to be running pc games aswell, currently its sporting a 24" Samsung screen, its a shame they didn't make huge 4:3 LCD's!

I 100% agree that the games look and feel better on a CRT screen, shame about the other shortfalls.

On a side note I've just been down the wood yard, being lazy this time and getting them to cut me all the pinball cab panels, picking them up on Sat, can't wait!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so after seeing an N64 thread on the forum recently I have decided to purchase a few classics, got these for an awesome price.

Haven't had a chance to test them yet as I am awaiting a controller from our favourite auction site, more to follow when I receive them :D.

PS: However they do work :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Project number 2 started this weekend, i think the cabs about 50% done now, it plays great but I'm stuck waiting for parts from the states, need to run out during the week and pick up a 26" or so monitor for the backbox image, will use the 21" for the DMD.

Managed to go from this:

16877910150120544125239.jpg

To This:

16817810150120620160239.jpg

Then this:

16297010150121110120239.jpg

And finally:

16802110150121125430239.jpg

16434310150121125570239.jpg

Really pleased with the progress, think i better paint it next!

Soldato
Loving the pinball cab, very cool indeed :)
Going to build a mame/console emulation box myself, but won't be using a cab, will be more like a traditional console. Difficult to explain but I'll post up when it's all under way.
Was wondering what frontend you will be using? I'm thinking of Mala, but very open to suggestions or ideas and any experiences you might have....

One thing about your upright cab though, you're noy going to be using that x-arcade stick in it are you? :(

Caporegime
Interested to get some more info on your idea, I'm currently using Hyperspin on the Mame cab, and Hyperpin on the Pinball machine, think both front ends look really smart and get great support / updates.

Not really messed with any other options so can't comment but will give Mala a look later tonight.

Main cab ain't finished yet and I'm unsure about what to do with the controls, currently thinking about building the 4 player Quad controller which is designed to fit the Mameroom spec cab:

http://www.mameroom.com/Products_QuadController.asp

We shall see, stuck at the moment because I'm waiting on parts for both machines.

Soldato
It's basically going to be as a mame cab, but without the cab so it looks a little more contemporary.
Going to get a nice shiny 37inch flatscreen, have a box underneath that looks as little like a PC as possible (probably this), two usb sticks that'll sit next to it when not in use (similar in concept to this bad boy I made), but I'm going to buy the cases this time so the sticks will look much nicer.

Going to have it boot diectly into the frontend, I'll remove/change the windows splash screen and change/remove the sounds windows make when it first opens, so that the whole thing appears to simply be a console.
It'll run a select number of mame, NES, SNES, Master System and Megadrive roms (I don't see the point in full sets, you'd never have time to play a quarter of them!!) and be controlled by the sticks alone.
However, I will have a wireless keyboard and mouse stashed away somewhere so I can play the odd PC game or use it for iTunes when it's not being used as a console. I can imagine playing Company of Heroes on a 37 inch screen will be awesome!!! :D

So really, it's just like a mame cab, but without the cab!!

But it's all conceptual til payday when I start ordering the bits, so suggestions are very welcome :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Where does everyone find is the best place for picking up retro stuff? I'm quite tempted by a Saturn, a NES and a GBA SP after seeing a few rare bits my mate bought from eBay this weekend. I get the feeling things are quite expensive on eBay though?

Soldato
Where does everyone find is the best place for picking up retro stuff? I'm quite tempted by a Saturn, a NES and a GBA SP after seeing a few rare bits my mate bought from eBay this weekend. I get the feeling things are quite expensive on eBay though?

eBay can be very over priced however it's the easiest way as tons more listings. I've managed to get Mario 64 Mario Kart 64 both boxed and Golden eye for £15 off AVForums classifieds. However on eBay I'd expect to pay something similar just for Mario Kart 64 unboxed.

Soldato
sdc13475edit.jpg

sdc13477edit.jpg

sdc13483edit.jpg

Look what the postman dropped off this morning, my latest bit of retroness! NTSC-U Green Donkey Kong 64 Edition N64! :D Surprisingly it doesn't look too bad on the big screen.

PS: Ignore the terrible photography! Off to play DK64! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom