The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've yet to try an American Whiskey that I'd be happy to buy a bottle of. I'd love to find one that I like but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe if I find a tasting session like the one you've been to, I might find one that's worth spending money on.

As discussed in another thread, I'm off to a whisky tasting in Newcastle tomorrow night and very much looking forward to it. I'm off to Egypt on Sunday but, if I'm not too fuzzy on Sunday morning, I'll let you all know how I got on.

Soldato
There is undoubtedly decent American whiskey out there, however once you've added on import duty/postage and everything else it's not worth it compared to proper whisky. Sure, it's a different taste (as I mentioned, a lot more cognac'y & sweet), but ultimately it's a whiskey. Why pay £35 for an American when you can get something for £28 which is better and you'll enjoy more?

A bourbon is a firm fixture on my booze shelf. It's something I'll maintain, but I wouldn't have two, three or four bottles of different bourbons. I would with whisky though. I just think it's a much more dynamic and interesting drink!

Ended up in the Pot Still tonight Stan (I got the impression that you're a Glasgow lad from that thread) and asked about that Laphroig you mentioned. They didn't have any. :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ended up in the Pot Still tonight Stan (I got the impression that you're a Glasgow lad from that thread) and asked about that Laphroig you mentioned. They didn't have any. :(

Actually I'm from Shetland originally. I've been to Glasgow a few times but never been to the Pot Still (not as far as I can remember anyway ;)). You won't find the PX in pubs or shops, it's a travel retail exclusive so only available in duty free. Pity because it's a lovely whisky and it's a shame everybody can't get it.

I've had a few travel exclusives during my years traveling and most of them have been pretty damn good. I've always thought it a shame they can't release them for general sale but maybe it's a volume issue.

Soldato
Bloody hell Ahleckz. I knew that you were from Shetland! Pretty sure you've told me before in another thread.

Anyway, I've just poured some of the Garioch Founder's Reserve and it's as good as I remember. Let us know how the tasting night is when you get a chance!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Bloody hell Ahleckz. I knew that you were from Shetland! Pretty sure you've told me before in another thread.

Anyway, I've just poured some of the Garioch Founder's Reserve and it's as good as I remember. Let us know how the tasting night is when you get a chance!

Will do. I'll have my phone with me so I may update as I go along (if I can be bothered :p).

Just finishing off my second bottle of wine :o Looking at a Hakushu 'Heavily Peated' as a candidate for a nightcap.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So far so good in the whisky tasting . Had 'festival blend' which is a blended malt. Not bad but quite plain. Also had Cragganmore 1989 which is a very nice whisky. Next up is Bunnahabhain 1990. Looking forward to this one - it's an Islay malt matured in sherry casks - my soft spot.

Associate
Looking forward to reading through this thread as I've just taken a bit of interest in whiskies after a friend in work was telling me how much he enjoyed them. Picked up as bottle of Bushmills Black Bush yesterday, thought I may as well start with local brand and pleasantly surprised how much I like it. Will take a browse to see which Scotch varieties are recommended and will hope to try them over the months ahead.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
after another trip up to Aberdeen I have a couple more bottles in the cupboard (going back up at the end of the month again so another couple of bottles to bring back...dyce costcutter still brilliant!)

so new purchases

16 year old Benriach – claret Finish

benriach_16yo_claret_wood_finish.jpg

This is a fine whisky, well aged and very smooth, I have had to hide it from the wife!
So easy to drink, fruity but light. And a bargain and 41 quid. Going to get another when I am up there

Second one I brought back was Edradour – burgundy cask
Not as aged this one only 7 or 8 years, but it is not double casked like the benriach or other whisky ‘finished’ in different cask. This has been matured in a burgundy cask from the start.

22949.png

It has a beautiful deep colour, very smooth for its age. I think its a great after dinner whisky, very full flavoured, spicy and sweet. A real mouthful, almost syrupy in texture.

it looks like I have picked up my own style subconsciously..I seem to prefer east coast/highland/speyside and only very lightly peated whisky..no big smokey ones for me. I also prefer a sweeter or a caramel edge to them.

favourite so far though is still the Glencadam 15 year old..best drop I have had for ages.

interesting to read the thoughts on the Glen Garioch as the distillery is just round the corner from a place I go fishing when I am up there and I keep meaning to pop in to the distillery shop to see if they had anything interesting in

Last edited:
Associate
In case anyone is in the market for a decent blended whisky (or a decent £25 bottle) I would suggest the Naked Grouse. I found it at ASDA, but am assured it is now available elsewhere.

Without going into great details, it's a sherry-casked blended whisky with a good price and a balanced flavour.

Sweet, rich, raisins, sultanas, bits of soft oak and vanilla, touch of spice, and relatively light. I've kept a bottle in a decanter and it seems to agree with the majority of my house guests' palates (including my discerning girlfriend).

In short, if you're after a cheap but very drinkable blend, have a go at the Naked Grouse.

Soldato
I bought myself a bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood for last weekend. It's a really lovely rich-tasting whisky. I need to stop buying bottles now, I've got so many on the go at the moment but I just love it too much! The flavours between the different whiskies really are fantastic to experience.

I also have a bottle of Laphroaig 30 year that I got for my birthday last year (I turned 30 :D) that I'll probably only open when me and the wife have our first born :) I'm really looking forward to tasting the Laphroaig 30. I've heard it is excellent.

Soldato
I wish I was around to attend this :(

"Does this sound up your street #Whiskylovers?

Option 1 - Beginner
£35 a head
3 beers (1 Asian, 1 European and 1 British)
5 Whiskies (dram and cocktail)
Whisky offering consists of Talisker 10yo, Dalwhinnie 12yo, Cragganmore 10yo, Lagavulin 16yo and Glenkinchie 10yo

Option 2 - Whisky lover
£45 a head
3 beers (3 British)
Whiskies on offer will be Distillers editions, rare finishes and prestige i.e. Lagavulin 16yo Pedro Ximenez finish, Ardbeg Alligator etc

Option 3 - Connoisseur's Program
£75 a head
5 Beers
5 Whiskies (dram and food pairing)
This is the first level of our prestige Beer and Whisky pairing menus. Each beer and ale will be matched with luxury top end whiskies, many of which will not be readily available. Whiskies on offer will be from mothballed distilleries, independent bottlings and limited release, i.e. Ladyburn 73, Ardbeg 'almost there', Port Ellen 22yo, Talisker 25yo.

Option 4 - Prestige
£160 a head
5 beers
The most luxurious way to spend 4 hours we can think of. Each malt is paired with a cigar, and individually prepared canape and an in depth masterclass from grain to glass. Ardbeg Lord of the Isles, Cohiba Siglo IV and smoked oyster with savoy veloute and white truffle oil - a flavour sensation."

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I also have a bottle of Laphroaig 30 year that I got for my birthday last year (I turned 30 :D) that I'll probably only open when me and the wife have our first born :) I'm really looking forward to tasting the Laphroaig 30. I've heard it is excellent.

You lucky, lucky, lucky man. My favouritest ever whisky. Enjoy :)

I wish I was around to attend this :(

"Does this sound up your street #Whiskylovers?

Option 1 - Beginner
£35 a head
3 beers (1 Asian, 1 European and 1 British)
Whisky offering consists of Talisker 10yo, Dalwhinnie 12yo, Cragganmore 10yo, Lagavulin 16yo and Glenkinchie 10yo

Option 2 - Whisky lover
£45 a head
3 beers (3 British)
Whiskies on offer will be Distillers editions, rare finishes and prestige i.e. Lagavulin 16yo Pedro Ximenez finish, Ardbeg Alligator etc

Option 3 - Connoisseur's Program
£75 a head
5 Beers
This is the first level of our prestige Beer and Whisky pairing menus. Each beer and ale will be matched with luxury top end whiskies, many of which will not be readily available. Whiskies on offer will be from mothballed distilleries, independent bottlings and limited release, i.e. Ladyburn 73, Ardbeg 'almost there', Port Ellen 22yo, Talisker 25yo.

Option 4 - Prestige
£160 a head
5 beers
The most luxurious way to spend 4 hours we can think of. Each malt is paired with a cigar, and individually prepared canape and an in depth masterclass from grain to glass. Ardbeg Lord of the Isles, Cohiba Siglo IV and smoked oyster with savoy veloute and white truffle oil - a flavour sensation."

All of those sound good. Where is that and when?

Soldato
Only got into whisky in the past ~8 months - started on easier drinking highland/speyside and then the other week I finally developed a taste for Islay!

Not drunk a lot but thoroughly enjoyed the latest (batch 004) Laphroaig 10yr cask strength. Added a few drops of water to bring out the aroma. I'm not the best to comment on aroma and so on as I don't have a great deal of experienced, but the seasoned whisky drinkers I was with thought it was excellent, if a tad short on the finish. Will be asking for some for my birthday!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
-
Only got into whisky in the past ~8 months - started on easier drinking highland/speyside and then the other week I finally developed a taste for Islay!

Not drunk a lot but thoroughly enjoyed the latest (batch 004) Laphroaig 10yr cask strength. Added a few drops of water to bring out the aroma. I'm not the best to comment on aroma and so on as I don't have a great deal of experienced, but the seasoned whisky drinkers I was with thought it was excellent, if a tad short on the finish. Will be asking for some for my birthday!

If you like the 10yo cask strength (I do as well), you'll probably like the Quarter Cask. Get yourself a bottle of that. In my opinion, it's one of the best value for money whiskies out there - a £30 bottle of whisky that I would happily pay £50 for :)

I recently got given a bottle of the Welsh Penderyn. Its a very easy drinking whisky and certainly a good one to try if you get the chance.

I'm not terribly keen on it. I know plenty of people who do like it but, I'm not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom