Halal Food - WTF?

Caporegime
If you actually cared about this and looked into it rather than bending to hearsay you would quickly discover than over 90% of all halal meat in the UK is slaughtered in basically the same way as normal meat, i.e it is stunned first.

That's absolutely fine... Why the issue then when groups call for all animals to be stunned first? Seems like a reasonable recommendation for a change in the law to me yet its met with opposition.

Soldato
That's absolutely fine... Why the issue then when groups call for all animals to be stunned first? Seems like a reasonable recommendation for a change in the law to me yet its met with opposition.

What do you think? It's religion, there will always be those who follow them not willing to change their traditions. Halal is a pretty big deal for Muslims after all.

OP makes an interesting point....

No, he makes an uneducated point designed to thinly veil his prejudices.

I also find it highly amusing them no one seems to comment on Kosher slaughter houses, oh no, but when Muslims start doing...OUTRAGE.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What do you think? It's religion, there will always be those who follow them not willing to change their traditions. Halal is a pretty big deal for Muslims after all.

That's great etc... do they label halal/stunned meat and halal/non-stunned meat differently?

Given that 90% of it is stunned already there shouldn't be a massive issue.

In other news some Christians get worked up about gay people marrying....

Allowing people's religious rules to poke holes in legislation regarding human rights, animal rights etc... is something I'm pretty opposed to in general.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hang on...

Our UK slaughter method dictates that the animal should be rendered unconscious and therefore unable to suffer.

Halal means the animal is either pinned down and has its throat slashed, or its hung up by its legs and has its throat slashed. All while fully conscious. Charming.

How can that be allowed? What the point in all our vetinary legislation if you can just slash an animals throat, nice and cheaply?

Why can't ALL these retarded religions be forced to eat meat that is killed to OUR UK standards? Otherwise what's the point in even developing and maintaining these rules in the first place, if people can start mistreating animals and using religion as the excuse?

Its upsetting.

Or more precisely the animal gets stunned, most of them are rendered unconscious before they are sent through a big furnace to burn off their fur and their throats cut, many are not...

Then you have the halal way which in the UK also means stunning them before hand then slitting their throats.

Soldato
That's great etc... do they label halal/stunned meat and halal/non-stunned meat differently?

As far as I know no, however given the state of animal welfare within British slaughter, the fact an animal was concious or not when it died is hardly the first thing that needs to change.

Associate
(1) The vast, vast majority of slaughtered halal meat in the UK is stunned first.

(2) Cutting both carotids will stop cerebral cortical function almost instantly, including cutting off sensory perception. That the brainstem still functions (mainly via vertebral artery supply) does not mean the animal is not unconscious. The animal will function via reflexes only, which is obviously distressing to watch, but the animal cannot 'sense' or feel anything after the loss of cortical blood pressure.

At least that's the idea. I doubt that anyone's done any electrode or functional MRI studies to see whether animals can still retain residual cortical functioning after having their carotids cut....

Caporegime
As far as I know no, however given the state of animal welfare within British slaughter, the fact an animal was concious or not when it died is hardly the first thing that needs to change.

Agreed, though that isn't a valid argument against banning this/removing the exemption on stunning animals. I'd also like to see battery farming outlawed etc...

Caporegime
Don't eat there?
Halal food AFAIK is fully licensed and all approved by authorities anyway.
Take yer xenophobia to the council if you want mate.

Its the artificial reduction in choice we now have. When nando's etc are all halal you have no where to go if you want no halal meat and that's pretty shady considering this isn't an Islamic state.

The method whilst yes it is approved by authorities, it is only approved as such due to religious appeasement, it doesn't fall under the same criteria as normal slaughter methods they had to add clauses in to adjust the law to suite the halal way, as opposed to forcing halal process to fall in line with the previously legislated methods...

Soldato
Don't get me wrong I am against Halal slaughter, however the majority of halal meat is not done without stunning.

Then that simply is not Halal.

In order for meat to meet (lol) Halal/Coshure standards in Islam, animals must be slaughtered by the standards of the Islamic law 'Dhabihah' in which the animal must be drawn and have it's throat, carotid arteries and jugular completely torn through but the spinal chord left intact in order for the animal to feel pain as anything else is 'against nature'. Under Dhabihah any animal which is slaughtered in any humane way (i.e in such a way which could not happen naturally) it is strictly against Islam and is illegal for any Muslim to consume.

Honestly I get why people jump on the sword to defend foreign religions/cultures to avoid looking racist, but that is going too far. No offence intended but people need to grow a pair, the second anything about religion is questioned, the words Xenophobia and racist/bigot gets thrown around instantly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
At least that's the idea. I doubt that anyone's done any electrode or functional MRI studies to see whether animals can still retain residual cortical functioning after having their carotids cut....

there is a study using EEG:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter.html

The researchers then showed that the pain originates from cutting throat nerves, not from the loss of blood, suggesting the severed nerves send pain signals until the time of death. Finally, they stunned animals 5 seconds after incision and showed that this makes the pain signal disappear instantly.

Last edited:
Soldato
You say that you are not forced to eat there but what about KFC? Most, if not all, KFC in the UK is now halal. So if you want to eat KFC you have to eat halal now.

Caporegime
You say that you are not forced to eat there but what about KFC? Most, if not all, KFC in the UK is now halal. So if you want to eat KFC you have to eat halal now.

exactly, most chains are serving halal so as not to alienate the muslim continent thinking that us white folks wont care about it anyway so we should be forced to eat meat that was for all intents killed for a religious group.

It is wrong and immoral. That Halal production is now massive and taking over supermarket supply is also cause for concern.

You don't have to eat KFC...:rolleyes:

Some nando's already are.. when Mcdonalds goes halal and pizza places also go halal then you wont be able to eat out if you don't want non halal food. that has to be wrong surely.

We have not had enough ANTI HALAL movements in the UK sadly. This needs to be brought up more on programmes like Question Time to really get it into the mind of the nation otherwise we will blaise just let it happen.

Soldato
The Halal thing is just business, not Islam taking over.

If you have two groups of people:

a) People that don't care where their meat comes from or how it is slaughtered (90% of whiteys)

b) People that can only, according to their religion, eat Halal meat

Then you may as well slaughter it to please option B. Because that effectively pleases everyone.

My two cents... let's be honest we don't really know what goes on in slaughterhouses, and everything that I've ever had brought to my attention through the media is totally horrendous and I just ignore it because it makes me feel bad. I'm not alone in this. Halal or not, an abbatoir is not a nice place, animals are bred for food, if we spend much time thinking about it we'll all go veggie, so I do what nearly everyone else does and just pretend that it doesn't exist and bacon comes from bacon trees.

I doubt Halal slaughter is much worse than a lot of the treatment that goes on in slaughterhouses and if they're all stunned beforehand then who cares, honestly.

Last edited:
Associate
Everyone ate horse meat burgers happily until they found out.

Pretend you don't know its halal and you'll be fine too :)

Back
Top Bottom