• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****NVIDIA GTX 780 IS HERE & IN STOCK - GET ONE TODAY!!**

Soldato
Well there we have it, I really do HATE how we get robbed here in the UK.

I dare not think how much I would save in a lifetime if I lived in the states, I spend a fortune on hardware every year lol. :(

$10 extra for one of the best GTX 780's out there, and we are being murdered for £80 by all retailors for the exact same card, it's absolutley disgusting lol. :(

You wouldn't save anywhere near what you'd expect. There is a sizable difference when you learn to take exchange rates out of the equation and factor in living costs. $1200+ for a Titan is *serious* coin, make no mistake.

I will however agree that you're being ripped off if the SC ACX is 80gbp over the base model, that's utterly disgusting from the retailers.

Associate
If anyone's ripping people off it's Intel. £460 for a chip (3930K) with a die size of 435 nm2 compared to £540 for a chip (780 - not forgetting this comes on it's own board with a cooler) with a die size of 561 nm2.

That's a chip that is 77% of the size yet 85% of the cost :p Don't compare the 3970x with the Titan, makes the Intel chip look even worse.

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;24339117 said:
You wouldn't save anywhere near what you'd expect. There is a sizable difference when you learn to take exchange rates out of the equation and factor in living costs. $1200+ for a Titan is *serious* coin, make no mistake.

I will however agree that you're being ripped off if the SC ACX is 80gbp over the base model, that's utterly disgusting from the retailers.
I dread to think how much a EVGA GTX 780 Classified, or Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce SOC will cost here in the UK! :eek:

Retailer terrorism!! lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
The people moaning about the price, wait until something comes out in your price range...just don't complain if it's not a big enough upgrade :D
If these cards are priced too high for the market they're aimed at the prices will be slashed, if AMD were to release a card that kills the Titan and prices it below the 780...guess what! The prices will be slashed. Fat chance of either happening though

I think once the 20nm GPU's from AMD come out that's exactly whats going to happen, although Nvidia will no doubt try to pander to their fan base for keeping very high prices.
No doubt with at least some success, as they have proven time and time again they can almost charge what they like and do no wrong by it.

Associate
I think once the 20nm GPU's from AMD come out that's exactly whats going to happen, although Nvidia will no doubt try to pander to their fan base for keeping very high prices.
No doubt with at least some success, as they have proven time and time again they can almost charge what they like and do no wrong by it.

I certainly bloody hope so, 15-25% performance increase over a 7970/680 is all very nice, but at +£250 over a 7970 and £200 over a 680 I'd bloody well expect at least that, or maybe even a little more performance increase than 15-25%.

Soldato
Gregster and others are stuck in this loop of acceptance.

What a marvellous input to the discussion. As a general rule of thumb: if the discussion is above you don't make token gestures to the discussion to try to remain part of it.

Back on the discussion....

Time will tell. I think they were always going to fly off the shelves on day 1 and I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA released stock to levels they thought would achieve this effect. Personally I think the price is too high to remain sustainable but that's mainly based on my own feelings on what is an acceptable price for a top of the series graphics card... :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What a marvellous input to the discussion. As a general rule of thumb: if the discussion is above you don't make token gestures to the discussion to try to remain part of it.

Back on the discussion....

Time will tell. I think they were always going to fly off the shelves on day 1 and I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA released stock to levels they thought would achieve this effect. Personally I think the price is too high to remain sustainable but that's mainly based on my own feelings on what is an acceptable price for a top of the series graphics card... :)

Sigh... you dont see it. Shame.

Its due to a specific type of person that nvidia has seen a way to exploit customers.

Not admitting the truth will fuel the over inflated prices.

Keep it up people ;) we will all be unable to afford them soon.

Permabanned
People are gonna pay what they will to get stuff early but the real ****er is the inflated prices for early adopters. It always feels like the real fans are getting the sticky end even though in a way they are beta testers ie- under developed drivers and ironing out any problems. I know thats just how it is with cutting edge tech but it stings a little sometimes........and then I buy one ;)

Permabanned
Your right though Diagro. I dont blame people for buying them because they want what they want but by making excuses for themselves (myself included) they become the biggest part of the problem with Nvidias pricing system ATM.

Associate
The market is just how it is right now because some people don't mind/do mind but go ahead anyways and buy goods at rip-off prices/lower value than previous generations.

Those who can't afford to or refuse to pay for the inflation of goods will have to suck it up because of those people.

Caporegime

Its due to a specific type of person that nvidia has seen a way to exploit customers.

Are you that deluded to think that will happen?

Do you think everyone can afford the 7970 or even the 7950 for instance? You seem to think that what ever the price, people will pay it but this simply isn't the case. The consumer decides the price overall and if he/she feels it is too much, he/she will not buy it.

You need to realise that people will spend what they can afford and what you consider expensive, another person may not.

Associate
There's not much to add to this thread really, the GTX 780 is a damn nice card performance wise but that pricing is too hefty. While I can understand it (Titan chips cost a lot to make so they need to make as much back as possible on these cut down ones) I hate to see products with improved performance over a year down the line stacked on top of the old product line up.

Still, GTX 680 was an impulse buy for me at £400 on release so I'm sure plenty of folks with greater income will run out and snap this up (how many held off Titan because of the cost? Looking from the top down this card is a no brainer for them).

Soldato
Your right though Diagro. I dont blame people for buying them because they want what they want but by making excuses for themselves (myself included) they become the biggest part of the problem with Nvidias pricing system ATM.

Don't like, don't buy. Get the model down, or lower still. There is a price point for everyone and having a top end GPU isn't a human right.

Associate
t like, don't buy. Get the model down, or lower still. There is a price point for everyone and having a top end GPU isn't a human right.[/QUOTE]

Makes 100% sense and applies to every consumer product.You buy what you can afford,simples.
Would love a 780 but just can't justify the price.
Also don't think it's right to blame people for buying them at this price and any Titan or 780 owner should not feel obliged to defend their purchase.
Contary to some peoples belief,Nvidia are marketing masters.They don't just pluck rrp from the sky as they know what people are willing to pay.
Titan was a test and passed with flying colours as 780 will.
Hell they could have charged £100 more for the 780 and it will still fly off the shelves.
Anyway to every new 780 owner,enjoy as going by the reviews it' a very good gpu.

Soldato

I understand perfectly fine. What is funny is that YOU don't understand.

Back
Top Bottom