Does anyone have OCD? : Obsessive compulsive disorder

Soldato
My OCD is terrible every night just after my little one goes to bed I have a guinness... :confused:

Oh and that other thing every half hour to an hour or so I need to light a cigarette! :eek:

OCD/Addiction makes no difference to me. ;)

Soldato
If people really want to understand what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is and how truly deliberating and life impacting the disorder is, the National Autistic Unit at the Bethlem Royal Hospital would probably be a bit of an eye opener.

I have been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism as well as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. My OCD manifests, the part that has impacted my life anyway, as obsessional intrusive thoughts, the significance I place on them and then subsequently the venomous feelings I have about myself. This then results in certain types of behaviour. Although, the behaviour isn't in a compulsive and ritualistic manner.

Soldato
With the right support OCD can be managed effectively in many cases. Knowing which support to access, and how to get it, is often the challenge.

Associate
20 years ago they didn't have a name for it.
I remember around 1972 a classmate doing things over & over, when I left school in 1974 an instructor in the Michelin Apprentice School kept doing things over & over, when I moved to the factory in 1978 there was another bloke who kept repeating stuff and then a workmate at Creda/Hotpoint getting up to stuff in 1980 and so on.
We just called them weirdo's back then.

The worst case I've heard of (except on TV) is my work colleagues sister who can take up to 4 hours to eventually go to sleep and has to get up 4 hours before she goes to work because of the endless repeating.
Last year I was sitting in my car at dinner time and I watched a Nurse for 25 minutes park her car, walk round it repeatedly, park it again, walk round it and so on.

There are many famous people from history who are widely believed to have suffered from it. Perhaps the most famous is the dude that the Leonard DiCaprio film "The Aviator" was about.

http://www.ocduk.org/ocd-history

The below isn't directed at Dimple by the way:

If people would like a pretty upsetting look into the lives of some people with severe OCD, watch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037wn0l

I'm sure some on here will have a right laugh at it.

People with OCD don't choose to have it, much like you don't choose to be gay, black, white or severely physically disabled etc. So why is it still fair game to poke fun at those with mental health issues, whatever the manifestation, or play down the suffering they can cause? You don't go around saying "Lol, that cripple is lazy in his wheelchair, he's probably putting it on. I get sore knees occasionally but you don't see ME rolling about!" You just don't do it, it's offensive.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
The worst case I've heard of (except on TV) is my work colleagues sister who can take up to 4 hours to eventually go to sleep and has to get up 4 hours before she goes to work because of the endless repeating.

Reminds me of a friend of mine with OCD. This guy means a lot to me but there are times when we've arranged to meet up and just haven't because he's had to stay at home cleaning things. It seems to be not so bad recently, if only because I asked him to tell me in advance if he was thinking of cleaning, rather than get embarrassed and turn his phone off and leave me not knowing what was happening.

Soldato
There are many famous people from history who are widely believed to have suffered from it. Perhaps the most famous is the dude that the Leonard DiCaprio film "The Aviator" was about.

http://www.ocduk.org/ocd-history

The below isn't directed at Dimple by the way:

If people would like a pretty upsetting look into the lives of some people with severe OCD, watch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037wn0l

I'm sure some on here will have a right laugh at it.

People with OCD don't choose to have it, much like you don't choose to be gay, black, white or severely physically disabled etc. So why is it still fair game to poke fun at those with mental health issues, whatever the manifestation, or play down the suffering they can cause? You don't go around saying "Lol, that cripple is lazy in his wheelchair, he's probably putting it on. I get sore knees occasionally but you don't see ME rolling about!" You just don't do it, it's offensive.

The main problem with many of the TV shows that tackle these things is that there is too much focus on the 'unusual' aspect (i.e. the bizarre behaviours) because they are more interesting for the lay public.

The cognitions are really the crux of the issue. Interestingly, it could be argued that individuals with OCD are very caring people: often the behaviours are completed because of the faulty believe that if they DON'T do it, somebody will get hurt. Rarely is it to stop themselves being hurt.

Associate
Undiagnosed but I'm fairly convinced I suffer from mild-moderate checking OCD and have done for years. Days when I'm tired/feeling down are worse for it that those when I'm 'up' (whenever they are?!).

Checking the front door is locked repeatedly is the worst, closely followed by (daft as it sounds) checking the iron is off and unplugged. I've thought about why I do it a lot and have figured out that it's my natural disposition to catastrophise; that is, to always think 'What If?' and reach the worst possible (plausible) conclusion. Like the house will get burgled if I don't triple check that the front door is locked or there'll be a house fire if I don't check the iron is off and unplugged.

The weird thing is, I've also figured out that it's a responsibility thing too; My front door checking only really manifests itself if I'm the last to leave the house - ergo it would be my fault if the house got burgled because I left the front door unlocked, yet I can lock the door, check it once and walk away happily if there's someone else at home (shared house).

Last edited:
Associate
OCD is clearly a lot more serious than many people understand. But I wouldn't even think about comparing it to HIV, Cancer or Alzheimer's like a couple of people in this thread have done.

Associate
am suprised by some of the ignorenant people on this thread regards ocd and its not really a big thing ..

my 16 year old lad has it and has been diagnosed with it and is on medication for it and its runed his life so far

just some of the things that are daily for him

every time he watches tv the volume has to be even and then he has to up and down the volume by one twenty times and end it on even

has to have 3 towels to dry himself

has to say 5 sentances to himself when he wakes up

has to ask questions to me and the wife in the middle of the night and also does not sleep early as he hears voices in his head

the voices are natural to ocd sufferers as it is these voices that tell the person either they or someone in their family will die if the rituals are not carried out :(

ocd will also get worse when that person feels stressed or under pressure which can lead to self harming also

its not nice guys but you get use to living with someone who has it

Soldato
Undiagnosed but I'm fairly convinced I suffer from mild-moderate checking OCD and have done for years. Days when I'm tired/feeling down are worse for it that those when I'm 'up' (whenever they are?!).

Checking the front door is locked repeatedly is the worst, closely followed by (daft as it sounds) checking the iron is off and unplugged. I've thought about why I do it a lot and have figured out that it's my natural disposition to catastrophise; that is, to always think 'What If?' and reach the worst possible (plausible) conclusion. Like the house will get burgled if I don't triple check that the front door is locked or there'll be a house fire if I don't check the iron is off and unplugged.

The weird thing is, I've also figured out that it's a responsibility thing too; My front door checking only really manifests itself if I'm the last to leave the house - ergo it would be my fault if the house got burgled because I left the front door unlocked, yet I can lock the door, check it once and walk away happily if there's someone else at home (shared house).

Snap. Everything in there is exactly what I do.

Back
Top Bottom