Path of Exile(diablo clone)

Associate
Had a quick go last night - started in Invasion (the new hardcore league) with a Scion. Having a blast so far - the invasion bosses as pretty tough work most of the time, particularly the crab guy. Have just reached ledge normal (about level 7 or 8) and rather enjoying it.

So far I've been putting points in generic "good" nodes (HP, basically) as I have no clue what setup I will go for. Could stick with Spectral Throw but I already did a HC spec throw char and fancy something different this time. Maybe Etherial Knives or something... not sure.

Any idea about decent builds for a new league (i.e. unsupported by currency or uniques)?

Associate
Invasion league doesn't have the strongboxes right? Otherwise, I'd go straight for that.

I'm unsure of builds, the patch is still pretty new. I have a friend whose playing a R.Fury build. Personally, before the patch I was a building a S.Throw + Discharge build, so I'm starting that again from scratch. My main standard league char uses dual-totem + incinerate, but I need to re-do the passives for that one.

Associate
Wow, just read up that you can use currency items on the strongboxes :O I was gonna throw an exalted at one :p, then I remembered no strongboxes in standard :/

I think Invasion might have the strongboxes, but I can't tell from the patch notes, has anyone come across one in Invasion league?

Associate
May start this up tonight. Any starting tips or basic help on class builds? Or am I thinking too far in front and should just play?

They released a patch/mini expansion 2 days ago. So nobody really knows exactly which are the best builds currently. You could check out the official poe forums / reddit.

Happy to help ingame, my account name is: janp92

Associate
Invasion , Its fun. but my god the desync can make the game pretty much unplayable.
Since 'invasion' league start, the amount of my deaths from just everything freezing on screen and waking up in standard starts to get tedious after a while. I'm going to wait a few weeks and try again, 'maybe' the servers will be less hammered. ( clearly i'm not an expert on the technical side)

Even worse that I went through to merciless HC/ Nemisis Merciless without anywhere near this amount of desyncing ;(

I don't have a problem with 'challenging' old school mechanic's but the networking or whatever the problem is makes the game utterly unplayable on too many occasions ;)

Associate
My EK scion is getting through Invasion quite nicely - just finished the 3 bandits and entering the Vaal pyramid (end of act 2). Trying to decide whether to pick up the Eldritch Battery keystone now or stack a load more HP buffs first.

Permabanned
I don't know what it is about this game, it's streets ahead in terms of content and depth compared to Diablo 3 but something about the combat mechanics just really puts me off it.

Soldato
Started playing last night as an archer, got about 30 minutes in and enjoyed shooting half dead things with a bow.

I've never stuck along, long enough to properly understand these games, i.e. WoW, Diablo, GW etc etc.

What should I be working towards, or just go with the flow, kills things and get used to it?

Associate
Started playing last night as an archer, got about 30 minutes in and enjoyed shooting half dead things with a bow.

I've never stuck along, long enough to properly understand these games, i.e. WoW, Diablo, GW etc etc.

What should I be working towards, or just go with the flow, kills things and get used to it?

Just keep going as long as you're having fun.

People (particularly on the official forums) will tell you that without planning your character to the n'th degree, it won't cut it at 'end game' (meaning third playthrough, "Merciless" as it's known in PoE). People will also recommend builds that require 3-4 bits of the rarest class of item, or ones that don't work until you're level 50+.

This is for 95% of the playerbase, rubbish. Just keep doing what seems fun.

A charater that grows "naturally" will probably have a skill tree that's all over the place, which is to be expected, but isn't actually that much of a problem before Cruel (2nd playthrough), by which point you'll have an ide whether the character was fun enough to put more effort into.

If you want a bit more of a specific look:

If you get really stuck in a certain point, the main reasons are usually:

1) You don't have enough life - can be sorted by levelling and taking a few life nodes
2) You don't have enough elemental resistances - can usually be sorted by grabbing rings for the specific element (e.g. cold for the act 1 boss Merveil, lightning for the act 2 boss Vaal Oversoul)
3) Your gear is not up to scratch - usually solved by luck (grind til you find something) or trading with other players.

Mostly I just see whether a skill seems fun, and use it.

For more specific questions to do with linking skill gems and sorting your passive tree, just ask really.

Soldato

That all make's sense to me! :)

I saw the skill tree and nearly fell out of my chair, I've never seen anything like it! I will put a bit more time into it tonight, see how it goes.

The idea of having to trade items instead of a currency (I understand scrolls/fragments are pretty much the currency in a sense) seems a really good idea to me as well.

Associate
If you're playing in Hardcore or Invasion, you will probably need more HP skill nodes than you think (ALL my early character deaths were due to this!)

Other than that, if you do fancy some trading, Chaos orbs and Exalted orbs are the standard units as far as I know, so some folks advise keeping rather than using them. I tend to play almost entirely self-found, so use mine with wild abandon to create fun new items (that are almost always rubbish).

Associate
Just keep going as long as you're having fun.

People (particularly on the official forums) will tell you that without planning your character to the n'th degree, it won't cut it at 'end game' (meaning third playthrough, "Merciless" as it's known in PoE). People will also recommend builds that require 3-4 bits of the rarest class of item, or ones that don't work until you're level 50+.

This is for 95% of the playerbase, rubbish. Just keep doing what seems fun.

A charater that grows "naturally" will probably have a skill tree that's all over the place, which is to be expected, but isn't actually that much of a problem before Cruel (2nd playthrough), by which point you'll have an ide whether the character was fun enough to put more effort into.

If you want a bit more of a specific look:

If you get really stuck in a certain point, the main reasons are usually:

1) You don't have enough life - can be sorted by levelling and taking a few life nodes
2) You don't have enough elemental resistances - can usually be sorted by grabbing rings for the specific element (e.g. cold for the act 1 boss Merveil, lightning for the act 2 boss Vaal Oversoul)
3) Your gear is not up to scratch - usually solved by luck (grind til you find something) or trading with other players.

Mostly I just see whether a skill seems fun, and use it.

For more specific questions to do with linking skill gems and sorting your passive tree, just ask really.

The flip side to this is that once you've invested a lot of time into your character it is quite hard/expensive/time consuming to make any more than light changes to your build. Due to the limited number of respec points you get.

I really would research a few builds, watch a few videos etc to see if a particular build/play style interests you.

Associate
Fair enough if you have a play style in mind, it makes sense to plan a little ahead of time - I've done this with my new character.

I wanted to play in the new league therefore can't be reliant on trading/saved items, fancied being a scion again, but was tired of spectral throw.

In the end I decided on Etherial Knives which meant planning quite carefully, as I needed to level to ~15 or so with Spectral Throw (the free skill you get at the start) and either level a shadow to ~10 for the EK gem or trade for it (traded it for a vaal skill gem in the end).

If I had tried to build as ST then convert my tree to EK it would have been really orb-expensive, but by planning ahead and taking only the 'works for either one' nodes I was able to avoid that cost to some degree.

P.s. EK is silly fun, but needs a BIG investment in mana regen. I recommend it.

Associate
Not having much joy with these new Vaal orbs.
I've found 3 so far: the first I wasted on a Andvarius, the second I used on my lvl 20 Freezing Pulse gem (it did nothing). My third orb dropped last night, and I remember reading that if I applied it to a Strongbox, then the contents would contain at least 1 corrupt item. So I tried this out, and got nothing :/

Also, has anyone noticed a dramatic reduction in Chaos orb drops? I've not had a single drop since the latest patch, and I badly need to trade for gear :/

Associate
Vaal orbs are super-RNG. They can cause uniques to become junk rares if you're unlucky. I am unlucky in that I am yet to find one :D

P.s. the level 20FP gem - there's a small chance it increased the max level to 21... is it still gaining XP?

Associate
Nope I thought maybe the same, but it's stuck at lvl 20 and obviously I can't apply a GCP or anything to it.

Apparently I was foolish to use it on my perfect Andvarius, as it can't gain a usual stat from it. Anyway, it changed on of the rarity mods to 2% chaos res :/ Stupid orbs!

Back
Top Bottom