• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
That side fan on the Inno3d iChill omgbbq looks interesting, been proven effective with certain designs but to my knowledge never been integrated into a HSF / shroud before.

Caporegime
Ti with boost to 928 core, nothing special.

It looks to be pretty much on par with a 780Ti. Of course how much headroom is available for overclocking should be considered but if that is correct, disappointing for those with a moder 780/780Ti/290/290X (or not, whichever way you look at it).

Still, with the extra power efficiency and less heat, this could be an ideal upgrade for those on older/slower cards.

Associate
It seems like the performance with the higher resolutions on games seem to decrease the performance benefits. I'm afraid what they would look like at a 4k resolution. Disappointing to say the least.

Mobster
Soldato
so the 980 is a little faster than a 780ti, ok, its kepler vs maxwell, but for that 980 to beat the 780ti on its possibly mid ranged card is really quite impressive on this node

Associate
It seems like the performance with the higher resolutions on games seem to decrease the performance benefits. I'm afraid what they would look like at a 4k resolution. Disappointing to say the least.

I did notice that... but some of the results were strange. Eg like on Batman Origins where the 780 beats the Ti by a couple of frames. Regardless, I'm thinking should I be looking at getting a couple of 780s still... :confused:

Associate
After looking at those specs am very excited for the price on a 970, if it beats the 290 by about 10% as said and is cheaper then hey...

Associate
A mod at OCN put it up, apparently it's the countdown to NDA end, not the launch..

Hopefully that means reviews today?

I made the countdown as it was one of the possible NDA lift times. Normally Nvidia NDAs lif ton Thursdays at 9am EST.

As I said in my OCN thread this time it might be a bit different due to the game24 event. And since the reviews weren't posted it apparently is different.

Creating the thread now since we don't know exactly when the NDA is lifting. If this launch follows the normal NVidia launch schedule the NDA will lift today in around 3 hours (countdown link). Could also be tomorrow at the same time or at some special time due to the game24 event.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1513723/various-nvidia-gtx-980-970-reviews-nda-not-lifted-yet

Soldato
There is no doubt that this is an impressive card and the architecture looks awesome. I just wish the 980 had been marketed as the 970 and the 970 the 960. With prices to match as well. Overall with the cards taking the high end slot and performance / price is similar to what we already have. So it's still a disappointment..

Shame because if these had been positioned differently they would have made great mid-range replacements for the current high end and Nvidia would have been seen as looking out for their loyal customers for a change.. This just seems like more milking on top of the milking we've already had lol.

I am going to try and wait it out until these cards get re-spun on 20nm and sold as the midrange price / performance they should be..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom