• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Caporegime
970 not worth me switching from my nice 290 Tri-X, so I've decided to clock the nuts off of it :D

Little OT I know, but what's the max safe voltage for them? Have a 120mm fan pointed at it too to keep temps under control

Soldato
Then be the bigger man and don't bite ;)

Not the point, because he a underboss he allowed to get away with it? Is that what it's come to now?

If I was to start baiting or derailing the thread O would be banned etc
Ocuk give him the underboss to set standards and keep forum clean, yet Greg himself is making his job harder.
:p

Soldato
970 not worth me switching from my nice 290 Tri-X, so I've decided to clock the nuts off of it :D

Little OT I know, but what's the max safe voltage for them? Have a 120mm fan pointed at it too to keep temps under control

Tri-X cooler should allow nice overclocking and keep cool it's a very good cooler going by people and reviews.
+100mv is the max I believe on air and around 1200 on core.

Soldato
Not the point, because he a underboss he allowed to get away with it? Is that what it's come to now?

If I was to start baiting or derailing the thread O would be banned etc
Ocuk give him the underboss to set standards and keep forum clean, yet Greg himself is making his job harder.
:p

You're reading way too much into it. You do realise, just because he's become an underboss it doesn't mean he can't have the odd little nobble every now and again as a joke?

Permabanned
Need to do it quick though, 6 months down the line will be to late.

What voltage offset are you running on your 290 out of curiosity? I dont want to go over 100mv really and that only nets me 1150 :(

+130mv

Memory rocks at 1650Mhz too!!

Just put it up for sale, want to try this new DSR AA mode...

Associate
I own a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3x. It cost me £325 so I'm impressed by the price of the GTX 970 in regards to it's performance/price ratio, but overall I think it's typical of Nvidia that this card could have been so much better if they didn't cripple it with a 256 bit memory bus. These cards we were told would be 2x the previous generation, but they are barely any faster than the previous generation and in some cases actually slower (GTX970 vs AMD 290x) and the power consumption is even worse than the previous generation. My GTX 770 runs cooler and consumes less power at idle and under load and is also a lot quieter than the GTX 970, so I'm confused as to why nearly every review is saying that these cards are more power efficient? I'm a Nvidia fan and even I find it hard to believe that AMD can't beat or match these cards. The GTX 970 should by all means trump the 290x in every test, but it doesn't. It's save to say that AMD are not at all worried by these cards. As a Nvidia fan, I'm just not impressed, because I was expecting so much more. However I might still buy the GTX 970 if I can get a decent price for my GTX770.

Permabanned
I own a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3x. It cost me £325 so I'm impressed by the price of the GTX 970 in regards to it's performance/price ratio, but overall I think it's typical of Nvidia that this card could have been so much better if they didn't cripple it with a 256 bit memory bus. These cards we were told would be 2x the previous generation, but they are barely any faster than the previous generation and in some cases actually slower (GTX970 vs AMD 290x) and the power consumption is even worse than the previous generation. My GTX 770 runs cooler and consumes less power at idle and under load and is also a lot quieter than the GTX 970, so I'm confused as to why nearly every review is saying that these cards are more power efficient? I'm a Nvidia fan and even I find it hard to believe that AMD can't beat or match these cards. The GTX 970 should by all means trump the 290x in every test, but it doesn't. It's save to say that AMD are not at all worried by these cards. As a Nvidia fan, I'm just not impressed, because I was expecting so much more. However I might still buy the GTX 970 if I can get a decent price for my GTX770.

You'll get £150 for your 770

Associate
How come 970 is nearly 200 squid less than a 980 with such a small gap in performance?
As people have said 970 price/performance is hugely immpressive for people like me who skipped the 700 series.
Really considering retiring my 2 670's for 2 970's which are actually cheaper than when I bought my 670's with double the vram.
Have nvidia finally listened to our crys of over pricing lol?
Sli 970 with huge performance now a reality for guys like me who can't afford titans and other overpriced enthusiat cards.

Soldato
OP
At this price point, the GTX 980 beats AMD's Radeon R9 290X in everything: price/performance, absolute performance, performance per watt, power consumption, heat, and noise. The only thing the R9 290X has going for it is its lower price, which I hardly find convincing, especially with the GTX 970 being cheaper and faster. The GTX 970 at $330 is a steal, really. It is not that much slower than the GTX 980, still beats AMD's R9 290X, with better pricing, and brings all the amazing power consumption improvements of the GTX 980 to the table. Simply put, the GTX 980 is the premium product to the GTX 970, and you'll have to pay for that. NVIDIA has declared the GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 as end-of-life, so you might find those cards at discounted prices. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade from anything more recent than the GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA's new products. Oh, and AMD seems ******.

Lol at that conclusion :p

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/31.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom