• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Soldato
My 290 at 1250Mhz is 3fps behind on Graphics test 1 and 4fps behind on graphics test 2.

And that's with a 350Mhz ( 28% ) lower core clock.

Up my 290 framerate by 25% and I end up 12fps in front in graphics test 1 and 8fps in front.

I thin if AMD sort the power consumption and overclock ceiling they'll easily be able to handle these new Nvidia cards.

Need to do it quick though, 6 months down the line will be to late.

What voltage offset are you running on your 290 out of curiosity? I dont want to go over 100mv really and that only nets me 1150 :(

Soldato
actually just did a power test - did show how hungry the 290 was with just a +63mV bump in power

in desktop/idle 180W

running Valley 500W

!! eek

Caporegime
Plus the price on 970 just to rub salt into the wound :p.

TBF, the 290's at their current prices on ocuk are still cheaper once you factor in the free games you get.

I got £36 for my games when I bought my 290 a few months ago and now you have the choice of alien isolation and a few other newer/upcoming games so people will probably get at least £45/50 for the games alone thus bringing the 290's down to about £200-210.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TBF, the 290's at their current prices on ocuk are still cheaper once you factor in the free games you get.

I got £36 for my games when I bought my 290 a few months ago and now you have the choice of alien isolation and a few other newer/upcoming games so people will probably get at least £45/50 for the games alone thus bringing the 290's down to about £200-210.

They have the advantage of operating as a space heater in the winter months as well.

Heating aside though, for gaming performance VS price the GTX 970 is king.

vA2GyED.png

Soldato
hope thats not targeted at me ?

I think its a great set of cards - I'd definately get one if I was in market at moment

would the difference in performance be as great as shown if tests were run with 4xAA and 8xAA - and I'm not targeting the 290/290x specifically - more so the 780/780Ti

Caporegime
Nice to see this thread and the others playing nice. Only the occasional AMD fan trying to justify AMD :)

TBH, there have been FAR more digs at AMD than nvidia in these threads :p

Only really seen one or two people slating the 9xx serious cards and not necessarily because they are AMD fans...

edit:

also hope that isn't aimed at me either! :p

Only points I have brought up are about power consumption in general and how everyone seems to really care about that now and the price to performance area with the 290 being a decent bit cheaper once you sell the games on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been considering the 970 today at work, but have decided it was a stupid idea, as my 7950 still does everything I need it to do @1080p. maybe I cant get my 120fps a lot of the time, but I'm not as impressed with 120Hz as I thought I would be anyway.

Going to wait a gen or 2 then upgrade to new higher res monitor with g-sync / freesync / whatever else is cool, and drop a wad of cash on a 20nm card to run it I think. Damn that day is gunna be sweet...

Soldato
Nice to see this thread and the others playing nice. Only the occasional AMD fan trying to justify AMD :)

And it would stay playing nice. It's post like this baiting to get other users to reply back, just like now. And then it goes OT etc.

Coming from an underboss I would expect better posts from you than this Greg. You not ment to be setting standards?

Soldato
Possibly a dumb question, but why are people asking for comparisons between the 970, 980 and 290 at the same clock speed? Surely the only fair comparison is to turn them both up as high as they can go on air or water and see who wins, since no one is going to intentionally downclock their cards to match what the competitors can get

Back
Top Bottom