• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Soldato
OP
I've always had a soft spot for ATI/AMD so i hope he's wrong :(

Competition is good, I bet you something AMD will be planning something fierce for their next lot of cards, they may not be able to compete on performance per watt on 28nm, but we could see cards that have huge raw performance, maybe with stock AIO to keep cool, the performance though which is a what a lot of enthusiast care about most, and don't really care about power consumption..

If AMD can get onto 20nm before Nvidia they can still get some market share there, thing is Nvidia's margins on these 9XX cards will be huge, sales are massive already, and they could have the 980 Ti waiting in the wings.. Soaking up the market share.. Not gonna be an easy task for AMD for sure.. They will be fine though. ATI/AMD seem to thrive when pressured in the GPU department.. Not so much the CPU one..

Last edited:
Soldato
Competition is good, I bet you something AMD will be planning something fierce for their next lot of cards, they may not be able to compete on performance per watt on 28nm, but we could see cards that have huge raw performance, maybe with stock AIO to keep cool, the performance though which is a what a lot of enthusiast care about most, and don't really care about power consumption..

If AMD can get onto 20nm before Nvidia they can still get some market share there, thing is Nvidia's margins on these 9XX cards will be huge, sales are massive already, and they could have the 980 Ti waiting in the wings.. Soaking up the market share.. Not gonna be an easy task for AMD for sure.. They will be fine though. ATI/AMD seem to thrive when pressured in the GPU department.. Not so much the CPU one..

Well they did sign a contract with the AIO cooler people , a nice thick double rad rather than a thin single would soak up a lot more degrees of heat, Yes i know its not as good as a custom loop but when you see how well the 295x2 single rad does a double on a single card should be quite nice

Caporegime
Well they did sign a contract with the AIO cooler people , a nice thick double rad rather than a thin single would soak up a lot more degrees of heat, Yes i know its not as good as a custom loop but when you see how well the 295x2 single rad does a double on a single card should be quite nice

There is a bit of a misconception about heat and I always thought that water keeps cards to say 40c, so that will be much cooler in the case and my room but all the science geeky people tell me that the same heat is being expelled, regardless of cooling type, so the case and room will still be hot, even though the core temp is much lower than air. :D

Weird huh?

Soldato
My gentleman's area gets baked from radiator heat output, roll on winter :D

If amd go the aio route on reference it could be a colossal failure, want to run 2-3 of them, buy a big case that can take them or don't bother. I doubt they will, but they could be smart with it and make the hoses and rads modular.

Soldato
OP
My gentleman's area gets baked from radiator heat output, roll on winter :D

If amd go the aio route on reference it could be a colossal failure, want to run 2-3 of them, buy a big case that can take them or don't bother. I doubt they will, but they could be smart with it and make the hoses and rads modular.

It's a good point, maybe there next move will go be to go straight to 20nm?

Or maybe they are on track to be the next 3DFX, they have launched their own API.. All they need now is to be completely outclassed in hardware by Nvidia... Oh wait :p

Associate
sorry for moving a little off topic here, although its still GTX 970/980 oriented.
just got my G1 GTX 970 this morning (woohoo)
I'm having problems overclocking with afterburner 4.0.0 , it wont save the overclock profiles or apply them whats everybody using to OC here ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh god.......

What a time to get hit with a 7 grand VAT bill from HMRC :(

How much would I get for my two Sapphire 7950s?

Seriously want to come over to Nvidia for the first time in years.

Soldato
It also does not change the fact that DP has always added significantly to transistor budget and its been replicated by the GF100,GF110,GK110,Tahiti and Hawaii. History is on my side on this.

DP does not add to gaming performance or gaming performance/mm2. It hinders it meaning you need to spend more transistors and more die area at the same node to get similar gaming performance.

as an aside; I've just remembered that rumours were that "big maxwell", the 20nm one, were going to come with onboard denver cores, with the professional cards having up to 8 cores on board and the gamers cards 2 or was it up to 4?... could that / that could free up space on the actual (GP)GPU core for gaming performance, and the onboard ARM cores boosting DP performance

I'm not sure, but it will be interesting to see how they make use of it

Caporegime
I quite fancy a 970 and it's good to see nVidia with a bit more realistic pricing.

I've been very impressed with nvidias pricing this time round, particularly on the 970. Heck even some of the 980 prices are pretty good. And its possible we may see drops later on as release prices are always a bit high.

Associate
Guys is there a new tech demo to accompany this launch?

The Medusa one was one of my favourites:cool: will deffo give it a run on my new cards when I get them. Its nice to see a demo fly which previously struggled on your previous cards:D

Back
Top Bottom