The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
It seems to me that gamma 2.6 is necessary for rich blacks - I can understand the comments about my 100% brightness/contrast being excessive, but it seems the gamma setting makes the biggest difference with contrast.

Adjusting the brightness & contrast on this screen doesn't seem to have the usual/expected effect.

If you are using these setting for deep blacks or bright whites then fair enough. Just letting you know that ALL off whites/greys and subtle difference in shade etc will be totally eliminated.

It is especially noticeable in elite when little details on station interiors, or subtle nebula effects are eliminated in their entirety. Even every day windows use is affected because scrollbars in some sites are rendered almost invisible.

Last edited:
Associate
If you are using these setting for deep blacks or bright whites then fair enough. Just letting you know that ALL off whites/greys and subtle difference in shade etc will be totally eliminated.

It is especially noticeable in elite when little details on station interiors, or subtle nebula effects are eliminated in their entirety. Even every day windows use is affected because scrollbars in some sites are rendered almost invisible.

Absolutely not the case, you are so wrong, sorry to bring this to you and I'm not arguing, it's just fact and your post is based on what you think I can and cannot see, but you are ignorant of my situation and the steps I have taken to get where I am, so let me help you...

I followed the calibration to the letter within Smart Control. I can see all shades in everything, film, games and especially Elite however subtle.

Have you calibrated your monitor in any way? Smart Control Premium seems to do an excellent job. It's not photo perfect for colours, but absolutely fine for what I use the monitor for and the calibration profile when set correctly brings out the differences in the shades perfectly to the person who set it up and their eye qualities (depending on the state, type and length of their cones and rods in their eyes of course), nothing is lost I assure you with regard to IQ.

I use a Spyder pro for calibration for photo work and have another profile for that and switch between the 2 as needed.

EDIT: Just noticed that while you reference Elite, you are responding to somebody else... but I use 2.6 gamma and I don't lose any shades with 75% bri and 55% con... so my statement sticks regarding my calibration.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely not the case, you are so wrong, sorry to bring this to you and I'm not arguing, it's just fact and your post is based on what you think I can and cannot see, but you are ignorant of my situation and the steps I have taken to get where I am, so let me help you...

I followed the calibration to the letter within Smart Control. I can see all shades in everything, film, games and especially Elite however subtle.

Have you calibrated your monitor in any way? Smart Control Premium seems to do an excellent job. It's not photo perfect for colours, but absolutely fine for what I use the monitor for and the calibration profile when set correctly brings out the differences in the shades perfectly to the person who set it up and their eye qualities (depending on the state, type and length of their cones and rods in their eyes of course), nothing is lost I assure you with regard to IQ.

I use a Spyder pro for calibration for photo work and have another profile for that and switch between the 2 as needed.

EDIT: Just noticed that while you reference Elite, you are responding to somebody else... but I use 2.6 gamma and I don't lose any shades with 75% bri and 55% con... so my statement sticks regarding my calibration.

My post was aimed at those who use 100% brightness and 100% contrast.

Soldato
@IDCP yeah sorry man, hence the edit... but thought the calibration info may be useful for others :)

Well, putting gamma there for me kills blacks.

Utterly destroys them. Dead.

I used a spider 4 too...

Guess I need to share my settings and profile, so people have some balance and choice.

Soldato
can someone try this.

put your mouse point at the very top of screen then move it left to right. do you see a massive lag? it only happens at the very top of screen

edit: i fixed that, the top cm of screen was running at 30hz, so i changed the frequency to 30hz then back to 60hz

Last edited:
Associate
When I bought mine, I also ordered a cable so I can use my mini displaport outputs
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-089-OK
I didn't notice it says:
Supports up to 2560 x 1600k resolution
I do get occasional problems and initially thought it was the card, now I'm not so sure.
Anyone else had problems with cables?
Looking here:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/
it would seem any display port verified cable should be fine at 4K (I am assuming my cable isn't).

Soldato
That's interesting, I've been having some occasional issues when trying to wake from sleep.

It's a new build though and I've been working on my laptop mainly recently so I've not had a proper look into it to see if it's the PC, monitor or something else.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the same OcUK cable. It seems fine in normal use though.

Maybe it only says that res as when the listing was created 4K wasn't common place? Then again a quick google shows some other sellers of the same cable list the same res.

Soldato
When I bought mine, I also ordered a cable so I can use my mini displaport outputs
I didn't notice it says:
I do get occasional problems and initially thought it was the card, now I'm not so sure.
Looking here:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/
it would seem any display port verified cable should be fine at 4K (I am assuming my cable isn't).

i'm not sure if that's a DP 1.1 or 1.2 but maybe it's 1.1 and if so you will get issues at 4k 60hz. 30hz would be fine for 1.1 cable

Soldato
i keep seeing some people think this monitor may need a firmware update but how would they make that possible there's no firmware update option in the menu. also it's unlikely it'll be by software because the monitor is only connected via DP or HDMI also the USB ports are only a hub, they didn't send/receive anything to the monitor itself.

Soldato
I didn't notice it says:
Looking here:

I had a rough time last weekend due to cables.

Out of six, only two will work at do 1.2, and of the two left one was a cable I was trying to replace due to intermittent issues.

Everything went totally wonky with my system for a bit after changing, so still on the one with intermittent issues and don't want to go through the hassle I did at the weekend so may just leave it.

Yes, cables can have a massive impact.

Soldato
Thanks to all making suggestions to tweak the brightness & contrast - I have settled on Mr Pix's settings, with the exception of tweaking the RGB balance to lower the blue.

Picture Format : widescreen (I use it for a 1080p input too)
Brightness: 75%
Contrast: 55%
Sharpness: 50%
Smart Response: Off
Smart Contrast: Off
Gamma 2.6
Pixel Orbiting: On
Overscan: Off
PIP/PBP Mode: Off

Color: R:100 G:94 B:84

I'm now thinking about replacing the stand. I have it sitting on a desk - I can't wall mount, sadly, but I'd like a stand that is capable of rotating to 90 degrees for portrait mode. Does such a desk stand exist that is capable of turning a 40" monitor to 90"?

Back
Top Bottom