** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
Here you go. Just back from work so didn't have time to tweak settings. These are some quick and dirty pictures from my camera phone literally about a foot away from the monitor where my desk chair is.

Taken at 100% brightness / 80% contrast on Racing mode.

First image is desktop ( fallout 4 background) as lots of blacks and besides dont think anyone's interested in family photos :)

1aEbx25.jpg

2nd Image- Overclockers webpage
st4G47V.jpg

Lastly picture of MS word ( Very Exciting)
If you look at where the mouse cursor is just below the middle right hand side of the screen, you should hopefully see the small 2 pixel line that is always brighter than the rest on white backgrounds.
l2vfV2H.jpg

Have to say photos don't do it justice at all and even looking at these there is an added red tinge and variance of colour which really isn't there.

Checked a few movies on this as seen mention of some movies not playing well / compression artifacts but no such problem.

As said I am very happy with the monitor to date, but haven't had a chance to calibrate / tweak it yet, or indeed even get to test out freesync for more than 5 minutes.

Happy to provide more screenies etc, if there is anything in particular you want me to test let me know but will probably be tomorrow, or Saturday before I get a chance to actually put the monitor through its paces. Hence why the stickers / tags are still on it, just in case.

Well I think that seals it for me. I've held off and it seems this monitor is the best of the bunch. I'll take a punt on it.

Cheers.

Associate
Well I think that seals it for me. I've held off and it seems this monitor is the best of the bunch. I'll take a punt on it.

Cheers.

Yeah I know the feeling, couldn't wait any longer as no such thing as the perfect monitor and itchy tech trigger finger can only be kept at bay for so long. Hope you get a good one, if you go for it.

Soldato
Here you go. Just back from work so didn't have time to tweak settings. These are some quick and dirty pictures from my camera phone literally about a foot away from the monitor where my desk chair is.

Taken at 100% brightness / 80% contrast on Racing mode.

First image is desktop ( fallout 4 background) as lots of blacks and besides dont think anyone's interested in family photos :)

1aEbx25.jpg

2nd Image- Overclockers webpage
st4G47V.jpg

Lastly picture of MS word ( Very Exciting)
If you look at where the mouse cursor is just below the middle right hand side of the screen, you should hopefully see the small 2 pixel line that is always brighter than the rest on white backgrounds.
l2vfV2H.jpg

Have to say photos don't do it justice at all and even looking at these there is an added red tinge and variance of colour which really isn't there.

Checked a few movies on this as seen mention of some movies not playing well / compression artifacts but no such problem.

As said I am very happy with the monitor to date, but haven't had a chance to calibrate / tweak it yet, or indeed even get to test out freesync for more than 5 minutes.

Happy to provide more screenies etc, if there is anything in particular you want me to test let me know but will probably be tomorrow, or Saturday before I get a chance to actually put the monitor through its paces. Hence why the stickers / tags are still on it, just in case.

Thanks very much for the photos Quarktran. Great that you get no corruption while playing videos.

It does seem to me that people seem to be getting better quality monitors now than earlier. I still wonder have some people got the initial batch with a repair job and others have got new builds.

Soldato
I'll be waiting for another month and seeing how things go, I don't think we will be seeing any UHD 144hz monitors in the next 2 years will we?

Associate
Thanks very much for the photos Quarktran. Great that you get no corruption while playing videos.

It does seem to me that people seem to be getting better quality monitors now than earlier. I still wonder have some people got the initial batch with a repair job and others have got new builds.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case after the initial recall. To be honest although I buy a lot of gear from overclockers bought the monitor from a competitor. Was longer before it was in stock but with a 30 day no question asked return policy and being based in Ireland decided to take a chance (Free return postage). If your still having problems with the video playback I'd honestly consider returning as no issues with mine so could be issues with the initial batch.

Soldato
After initially not wanting this monitor, I'm now sat with one in front of me. This is my first IPS panel so maybe I'm not trained in the art of spotting glow/lack of panel uniformity but I've tried looking with the brightness right up on a dark background and I can't see any fluctuations at all - it looks better than the ROG Swift it replaces. I'm probably not doing the right thing to spot problems but I'm probably best off not looking too hard as it seems good at the moment.

Also I bought from a competitor (OCUK are not competitive on monitors) and it's come with a 2 pin plug and a mini-display port cable. I assume the mini DP is just as effective as the full sized version? Wikipedia isn't clear....

Associate
After initially not wanting this monitor, I'm now sat with one in front of me. This is my first IPS panel so maybe I'm not trained in the art of spotting glow/lack of panel uniformity but I've tried looking with the brightness right up on a dark background and I can't see any fluctuations at all - it looks better than the ROG Swift it replaces. I'm probably not doing the right thing to spot problems but I'm probably best off not looking too hard as it seems good at the moment.

Also I bought from a competitor (OCUK are not competitive on monitors) and it's come with a 2 pin plug and a mini-display port cable. I assume the mini DP is just as effective as the full sized version? Wikipedia isn't clear....

Likewise bought from a competitor and due to the return policy and apart from the 2 pin plug and the two bright pixles ( white on white) as per my previous screenshots cant complain. Currently selling my other monitor.Using the mini Dp cable provided and no issues. Defo a keeper for me. Happy you got a good one

Soldato
Defo a keeper for me. Happy you got a good one

After a bit more investigation I do have a patch of glow in the bottom right. I'm not able to spend more time on it tonight to see if it'll be an issue for me.

Not happy with the 2 pin plug though. It's an extremely rubbish fit in the 2-to-3 pin adapter I got from the same website for the Swift, which I knew was coming with a 2 pin.

Soldato

Isn't the Mini DP required for Freesync?

I really want one but I'm not sure if I will be staying with AMD in the future. Happy with my 290X but I envy the 980 TI owners.

And so much negativity around AMD's future puts me off as Nvidia are clearly running circles around them.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Guys,

If you're interested, I've created a video review for a site I contribute to, ragequitters.co.uk, of this monitor and posted it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFeyFKhihI

I will give a caveat that I've actually now returned the monitor (I'm really regretting I did now actually) purely based on 2 factors:

1) I don't like gaming on a 27" screen - I find it just too much to take in
2) The imperfect freesync range / input lag whilst using freesync (input lag is amazing at 144hz by the way) got the better of me

Other than the above, I still believe this was the best screen I ever had the opportunity to use; if the above factors aren't important to you (and you can find a good panel that had a proper QA check!), this is a superb choice in monitor.

I would make one final comment that I have had the opportunity to test out a 1ms gtg 144hz panel and it definitely does make a marked difference (motion blur is stepped up to another level) but you take a big hit in terms of colour performance.

Another thing that irritates me about TN panels is gamma uniformity between the top and bottom of the screen - you just don't get any of this on the MG279Q.

Soldato
Sorry you didn't like the monitor in the end. Review was good, just think you should have tried a few different games as it dragged a bit watching you play the same games for so long.

The thing is that even if the freesync range was all the way up to 144hz you would still be turning it off playing twitch shooters. The sync technologies aren't ideal for multiplayer twitch shooting games. I see lots of people with the Rog Swift gsync monitor turn off Gsync and turn on ULMB when playing fast paced shooters.

I was thinking of returning mine because of the video issue I am having but decided to keep it as it's a pain for me to return it, I don't watch that many movies on this monitor and like you said it's an awesome screen. It's worth the cost even if you don't use Freesync as the 144HZ IPS is awesome :)

What monitor are you going to go with now? IF you don't like 27 inch monitors your options are going to be kind of limited, especially if you want a good freesync/gysnc monitor.

Associate
Cheers for the comments - yeah I should have chopped and changed a bit but I basically only had one take whilst my youngest son was asleep and before the delivery man picked up the monitor so no chance for a re-run lol :)

I've just recently bought an AOC G2460PG (a b-grade from OCuK) with the view of changing my graphics card out for an NVIDIA card, however, there was a dead pixel on the left that was bothering me somewhat, however, a friend of mine (who already has an a GTX 970) was happy to buy it off me at a slight further markdown (cheaper than returning it).

The AOC monitor is obviously a substantial step down in image quality from the MG279Q, however, both the input lag and 1ms gtg response time as very noticeable (in a good way) for me - I felt it really helped my game.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 970 or 980 GTX and buy another AOC G2460PG when, lo and behold, I noticed a news item about a new Freesync version of what looks to be the same monitor:

https://pcmonitors.info/aoc/aoc-g2460pf-and-g2770pf-freesync-gaming-models/

The interesting thing about this version is that it has a Freesync range of 30-160hz (yeah 160hz - beyond the 144hz spec) which is the widest dynamic sync range of any monitor I've seen to date.

And at £229, it's one of those purchases that'd have to be pretty darn bad not to view it as 'value for money'.

Regarding you point about competitive players turn off g-sync - is that more to do with the benefits of ULBM or is it due to there being a varying degree of input lag as hz is changing with your framerate (I've always been suspicious that g-sync / freesync would have a higher degree of input lag than v-sync off at a fixed hz)?

Soldato
Cheers for the comments - yeah I should have chopped and changed a bit but I basically only had one take whilst my youngest son was asleep and before the delivery man picked up the monitor so no chance for a re-run lol :)

I've just recently bought an AOC G2460PG (a b-grade from OCuK) with the view of changing my graphics card out for an NVIDIA card, however, there was a dead pixel on the left that was bothering me somewhat, however, a friend of mine (who already has an a GTX 970) was happy to buy it off me at a slight further markdown (cheaper than returning it).

The AOC monitor is obviously a substantial step down in image quality from the MG279Q, however, both the input lag and 1ms gtg response time as very noticeable (in a good way) for me - I felt it really helped my game.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 970 or 980 GTX and buy another AOC G2460PG when, lo and behold, I noticed a news item about a new Freesync version of what looks to be the same monitor:

https://pcmonitors.info/aoc/aoc-g2460pf-and-g2770pf-freesync-gaming-models/

The interesting thing about this version is that it has a Freesync range of 30-160hz (yeah 160hz - beyond the 144hz spec) which is the widest dynamic sync range of any monitor I've seen to date.

And at £229, it's one of those purchases that'd have to be pretty darn bad not to view it as 'value for money'.

Regarding you point about competitive players turn off g-sync - is that more to do with the benefits of ULBM or is it due to there being a varying degree of input lag as hz is changing with your framerate (I've always been suspicious that g-sync / freesync would have a higher degree of input lag than v-sync off at a fixed hz)?

No problem, I wasn't been too critical :) I would have liked to have seen what a few other games looked like on the monitor and was also hoping that you would have try some movies as well.

I really couldn't go back to 1080p now. Not now not ever, I have my Samsung SA700D setup as well and it's a 1080p 120hz screen and I don't like using it now even if it reduced input lag. I would cry if I had to use a 1080p monitor as my main now even if only for a few days!!

Read about those AOC monitors before, the freesync range looks really good. Wonder what the picture quality will be like? Wonder why they need to go over the 144hz?

There might not be anything to turning gysnc or freesync off for FPS games. It's just something I read. It could be as simple as getting used to it. Any change affects the way you aim and takes a while to get used to. Gsync did have a lag problem (slight) but think they fixed that lately with a driver update.

Soldato
So is this monitor any good ?

yes, it's an amazing monitor. But it's like purchasing any other monitor there is an element of chance. And because it's an IPS panel there is more issues to worry about than a TN monitor.

I would recommend it for the 144hz IPS alone.

Back
Top Bottom