Oculus Rift

Soldato
i feel that devs and indies won't be on-board.... and arnt indies the ones that kept the game market alive for the thing.

I thought this too.

Ordered and going to wait and see how it pans out. I can't help but think now that they have sold out to Facebook its going to go down the Thomas

Soldato
ive put a pre order through just for the sake of it not taking it until shipping date. However, I will most likely cancel. It is a bit of a ridiculous price to pay, and on top of that now i feel that devs and indies won't be on-board.... and arnt indies the ones that kept the game market alive for the thing.

I don't think it's bad at all I've paid that for a graphics card, monitor etc in the past and this will last much longer. Can't wait to try it.

Soldato
Free? You spent money backing the Kickstarter so it's far from free.

He also has already had everything he was promised from backing it as a kickstarter right? so yes, it's a free addition.

Indeed I spent money on the Kickstarter but I already got the first prototype which I was happy spending towards. Getting an extra "free" release model for paying nothing else is very welcomed. I didn't expect to get a release model just for backing it on Kickstarter and ultimately it's saved me £530 buying one.

They didn't need to give the kickstarters a release model for nothing. But a extremely kind gesture I think.

So ok it's not free.... But it's saved me £530 which I'm more than happy with :D

Soldato
Think I'll wait for the HTC Vive.

Everyone is expecting the Vive to cost more, given it comes with touch controllers and the lighthouse system.

The Rift, although we think is expensive, might actually end up looking cheap! I bet PSVR won't be far off this either.

Associate
Anyone that didn't even get a confirmation page (and then decided it was too much so left it) should probably check their Oculus order history. I only got error messages but I just logged into my account and it appears I did order it afterall!

Last edited:
Soldato
I would rather buy it without;

headphones
xbox controller
lucky's tale
and they could even ditch eve valkyrie

I have one ordered but I will be keeping a keen eye on the Vive price - if that is the same or less with the touch controllers then cancelled it will be

Soldato
Anyone that didn't even get a confirmation page should probably check their Oculus order history. I only got error messages but I just logged into my account and it appears I did order it afterall!

How did you create an account? I can look at my order using the number and email address, but I never got the option to set up a username/password at any stage in the process.

Associate
How did you create an account? I can look at my order using the number and email address, but I never got the option to set up a username/password at any stage in the process.

I already had an account from the DK2 days. I'm sure I saw an option to create an account on the order screen though?

Soldato
i'm really surprised and disappointed tbh :(

£500 + shipping for me is a bridge too far. Considering the DK2 worked out at £280 inc TAX shipping and handling.

And thats not even including the Oculus touch controllers.

I've tried the DK2 and ive seen reviews/previews of the CV1 (1 guy on frontier forums got his early "engineering sample" consumer version CV1. He has done a mini review of the CV1 in Elite Dangerous)

and the step up in build quality and screen quality/resolution doesn't for me justify the whopping price difference.

Gobsmacked...this is a price i expected the Vive to go for.

Massive own goal by Oculus imo. :(

I agree with you as I thought it would have been closer to DK2 price as well. I just wanted to point something out which I dont think anyone has mentioned in this thread yet. I think they should have released two versions of the headset. Version 1 with xbox one wireless controller and two games and version 2 barebones with no controller and no games. As most of us have xbox 360 controllers with our PC's anyways and we play games like Elite Dangerous with our joysticks so we didnt really need the box one controller which cost about £55 on its own and then the two games as well.

Eve Valkyrie does look good but the other game looks like its made for kids. And I reckon the xbox one controller and two games probably added an extra £150 on top of what it would have been at £350.

So in my opinion they should have released it barebones with no games and no joypad for £350 which would have allowed a lot more people to buy the headset now and play it with existing games and existing joypads/controllers.

And then a second version with two games and a joypad for those that didnt mind spending the extra cash.

I've been excited for this headset for so long but now I'm not sure if I can afford to preorder at this price so might have to wait for Christmas when it will probably reduce is price anyway and they'll probably more games out by then as well.

Soldato
I already had an account from the DK2 days. I'm sure I saw an option to create an account on the order screen though?

If there was I missed it, only saw sign-in as a previous user or checkout as guest, which did mention creating an account but there was no actual process to do so that I saw.

The end confirmation page had marketing stuff plus a tick box to get on the Touch pre-order list.

Associate
If there was I missed it, only saw sign-in as a previous user or checkout as guest, which did mention creating an account but there was no actual process to do so that I saw.

The end confirmation page had marketing stuff plus a tick box to get on the Touch pre-order list.

Thats how i did mine, as guest, it said complete but no email at all

Back
Top Bottom