Oculus Rift

Associate
Thought about this all the way home and very excited still.

Think about it like this... If I split the cost over the year, its 44 a month. Sounds absolutely fine to me like that to experience VR. Maybe I can rent out playtime to people or something as well haha.

Not only looking forward to games, but VR media as well. I'd love news/documentaries with this. Or imagine if they stick a 360 camera on a lunar rover or something!!!

Soldato
The spec utility goes by generation of cpu, and most motherboards don't specify the number of usb ports just what i has as in usb 2/3 etc.

My 3770k @ 4.6Ghz was also rejected despite it being much much faster than an i5 4th gen @ 3.3Ghz

Soldato
No idea but I see there is 2 more on there now. I personally find that a bit rude, as it stops someone getting theirs early but not my call.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oculus-Ri...747082?hash=item1a0bd65b0a:g:6g0AAOSwGotWjVLg

Plus on this one we would have to pay import duties lmao.

Ebay tends to breed that kind of thing, too quick to make few quid and. Anyone who purchases that is just asking for trouble though. no way to protect yourself/purchase as by the time you get it you have no recourse to get a refund.

Soldato
Not that I follow Totalbiscuit, but this was linked to on Reddit, and I think he makes a good point.
Well, the Oculus is up for preorder and some people are surprised by the $600 pricetag. I'm not exactly sure where people got the impression that the first piece of true consumer-ready VR was actually going to be cheap tech. We are talking about the cutting edge of what is possible with gaming right now, a device that has multiple high resolution, high framerate displays, minaturised and built right into it, advanced head tracking technology and god knows what else. We are also talking about a device that frankly is not, initially, going to run well on the PC hardware that the mass market owns.

If you want to game on this thing, you're going to need a pretty beastly PC. The PC requirements were recently revealed and they are a GTX 970/ AMD 290, along with an upper end i5 processor or equivalent. That is not the average PC, and why would it be? This thing renders at 2160x1200, that's 233 million pixels. 1080p is 207 million. Not only that, but VR tech is designed to run at high framerates in order to reduce motion sickness and blur. According to the FAQ on the site, the two modes it supports at 75 and 90fps. Can your computer run most demanding modern games at 1080p, 90fps? If so congratulations, you are on the enthusiast level and you are the target audience for early adoption of the Rift. If you can't well, before spending $600 on a Rift, maybe think about spending that $600 on upgrades for your PC instead.

Eventually, VR will be mass market tech, I dont have any doubt of that. It's not a gimmick, I've used it, this is not the same as 3d, its tech that at least to me, enhances existing games and opens up possibilities for new genres. For some games, this is a monitor replacement, because I think those games will just look and play better in VR than they will on a standard screen. Speaking of monitors, the monitor I use cost $700. Granted, it's high end, 27 inchs at 2560x1440 144hz native resolution, with gsync, but thats not much more expensive than a Rift. The Rift is for all intents and purposes, a high end display. You expect to pay that much for a high end display. Then again, we have people that wouldn't blink at $2000+ for their bigscreen TV, saying Rift is too pricey. Ok then...

Caporegime
Not that I follow Totalbiscuit, but this was linked to on Reddit, and I think he makes a good point.

He does make some valid points. I would have liked to have seen it cheaper though to see some mass adoption and in turn, mass support. Whilst it is this high in price, I am more than happy with it but I am near the end of my mortgage, my 2 Daughters have left home (even though they still cost me a fortune) and my outgoings are far less than they used to be but not everyone is in the same boat and £500 is a big big ask to shell out.

Maybe once mass production kicks in, it will end up a fair chunk cheaper and more people buy it.

Soldato
All very valid points. The Rift CV1 will make '3d films' and 'imax' seem absolutely terrible. After using my DK2 I went to an imax and thought to myself "This is nowhere near as good as using VR cinema on my DK2" Plus this cost me £15 for a couple of hours

Soldato
All valid points, and i may yet pick one up at that very price but as it stands it is priced just about where you are happy to say 'nope ill wait and see what happens', i feel $100 cheaper and uptake would be say 20% higher? just a rough guess but enough to make a difference.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
All very valid points that completely ignore the fact the team said one thing about the pricing, then did another.

Soldato
All very valid points. The Rift CV1 will make '3d films' and 'imax' seem absolutely terrible. After using my DK2 I went to an imax and thought to myself "This is nowhere near as good as using VR cinema on my DK2" Plus this cost me £15 for a couple of hours

Im not sure i agree with that. The rift will be great for gaming but when people want to relax with a movie i feel as though wearing a headset will get tiresome. I had the gear VR and watched mad max in it. It was exciting for about 10 minutes but then it became tiresome.
Also with how little passive 3D glasses weigh and how comfy they are i think VR movies will be watched even less than 3D once the initial excitement of it wears off.

Soldato
I have jsut ran the compatibility check and mine meets / exceeds all

i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
(Its actually at 4.7ghz)
GTX 780Ti
16Gb
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
USB 3.0

Soldato
I'm probably being really thick here. But why pre-order for April/May?? Surely if the Rift is released in March you could get one elsewhere? Obviously there would be a huge demand but you are in with a good chance to get it earlier???

Soldato
I'm probably being really thick here. But why pre-order for April/May?? Surely if the Rift is released in March you could get one elsewhere? Obviously there would be a huge demand but you are in with a good chance to get it earlier???

Only being released to select retailers in April, so not sure how much that's likely to be over here. The pre order doesn't cost anything, so if you could find one before yours is dispatched, you could cancel easy.

Associate
I have jsut ran the compatibility check and mine meets / exceeds all

i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
(Its actually at 4.7ghz)
GTX 780Ti
16Gb
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
USB 3.0

Interestingly mine just failed on the fact that my processor is old (i'm not surprised its an i5-3330) but a 780 isn't enough either... Is the Ti that much more than a vanilla 780?

Back
Top Bottom