PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

V F

V F

Soldato
Seems more of a PS4 (slim) with 4K upscaling and support for 4k than anything else. More than fine with that idea than these iterative consoles. Seems much more like the PS3 Slim to PS3 phat.

ps3ud0 :cool:

I thought this was a slim. Isn't it slimmer than the PS3 Super Slim? Everytime they make it slimmer the heatsink becomes pathetic with a faster fan.

Soldato
PS4 controller battery isn't great but it wasn't until I bought a 2nd one that they don't seem as bad as I thought. When I only had 1, if it was down to 1 bar battery when i switched it off, i'd put it next to my phone charger to charge in the morning. since having a 2nd and being able to run it right down (because the other is charged), I seem to get another 1 or 2 nights out of it. it seems that it drops to 1 bar at about 40% battery IMO

Still nowhere near as good as the PS3 ones

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's just 4k support then I can happily ignore it. If it's improved HW and then games are running worse on current PS4 because of it then my hand will be forced.

V F

V F

Soldato
PS4 controller battery isn't great but it wasn't until I bought a 2nd one that they don't seem as bad as I thought. When I only had 1, if it was down to 1 bar battery when i switched it off, i'd put it next to my phone charger to charge in the morning. since having a 2nd and being able to run it right down (because the other is charged), I seem to get another 1 or 2 nights out of it. it seems that it drops to 1 bar at about 40% battery IMO

Still nowhere near as good as the PS3 ones

The dual shock 3 never had a light. Lights are sore on any batteries.

Caporegime
The light bar and the touchpad are probably the most pointless things ever. Especially now that PS Move is dead. I've only used the touchpad in Sony games for gimmicky things when you are forced to. It's mostly used for entering my password at checkout time. :p

Associate
The light bar and the touchpad are probably the most pointless things ever. Especially now that PS Move is dead. I've only used the touchpad in Sony games for gimmicky things when you are forced to. It's mostly used for entering my password at checkout time. :p

Isn't P'S Move needed for PSVR? Or would that be game specific?

Caporegime
Isn't P'S Move needed for PSVR? Or would that be game specific?

Not sure. Do you use the old Move stick things or the DualShock 4 with PSVR?

EDIT: Quick Google suggests the light bar was originally intended for Project Morpheus (PSVR) anyway. So it's real purpose has not fully been used yet. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you guys honestly believewe will see full 4k gaming on this gen of consoles? Even these upgraded ones? From my understanding it takes a lot of horse power to run 4k on pcs so how will the hardware limitations of the consoles achieve this to a good standard with out major sacrifices to visual fidelity or frame rate. Maybe it will just be for basic arcade games on psn/xbla, i dunno i just see it as a buzz word for them to push units i mean as is they struggle with 1080p right?

Don
Do you guys honestly believe we will see full 4k gaming on this gen of consoles?

In a word: No. I think this is being overhyped as a PS4.5 - at best it sounds like a revision to add 4K Bluray support (and maybe integrate the box needed for VR) - rereading the eurogamer article, and the mention of HDR support seems to fit with this assumption. Presumably adding a 4K "upscaler" wouldn't involve too much work either.

Caporegime
If it's just 4k support then I can happily ignore it. If it's improved HW and then games are running worse on current PS4 because of it then my hand will be forced.

Do you guys honestly believewe will see full 4k gaming on this gen of consoles? Even these upgraded ones? From my understanding it takes a lot of horse power to run 4k on pcs so how will the hardware limitations of the consoles achieve this to a good standard with out major sacrifices to visual fidelity or frame rate. Maybe it will just be for basic arcade games on psn/xbla, i dunno i just see it as a buzz word for them to push units i mean as is they struggle with 1080p right?

read the thread.

all it is, is an update to the blu ray player and hdmi to make the ps4 4k blu ray compatible and have the ability to upscale to 4k if need be.

no point buying it unless you plan on buying a 4k tv and 4k blu rays.

4k blu rays for everybody's information have a £30 retail price. that's per movie so about the cost of a game for an hours worth of entertainment. total rip off IMO.

1080p is here to stay for at least 5-10 years.

Soldato
read the thread.

all it is, is an update to the blu ray player and hdmi to make the ps4 4k blu ray compatible and have the ability to upscale to 4k if need be.

no point buying it unless you plan on buying a 4k tv and 4k blu rays.

4k blu rays for everybody's information have a £30 retail price. that's per movie so about the cost of a game for an hours worth of entertainment. total rip off IMO.

1080p is here to stay for at least 5-10 years.

Agreed!

Until the PC can play 4K games properly then console 4K gaming isn't happening anytime soon. Expect 4K blu ray compatibility and nothing else.

Caporegime
It's a tiny RGB LED so it'll be using hardly any power, the battery life is poor because of all the sensors and the fact it can send and receive audio now.

I don't use a headset and only certain games play sound through the speaker on the controller. The only game I've noticed it in is The Last of Us when you turn your flashlight on/off, the DS3 had a gyroscope as well, and the battery life on mine was brilliant. I still maintain its the utterly pointless light bar that drains the battery.

Soldato
I don't use a headset and only certain games play sound through the speaker on the controller. The only game I've noticed it in is The Last of Us when you turn your flashlight on/off, the DS3 had a gyroscope as well, and the battery life on mine was brilliant. I still maintain its the utterly pointless light bar that drains the battery.

I agree it is pointless and battery life is awful. I turned rumble off which is a big drainer but even so it's still bad.

Soldato
I would be all over this if it supports the full 4K UHD media spec and plays HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR. That alone for me would be worth the upgrade and anything else is a bonus. 4K UHD players are around £500 so if the PS4K can play those and also offer small upgrades in graphics and CPU power then I'd be all over it.

Also 4K blu rays are £19.99 not £29.99 as Psycho Sonny says

Last edited:
Soldato

But the components are still there using energy regardless, and you can quite often hear a very faint hum coming from the DS4 speaker even if a game isn't using that particular feature. There's a lot more going on inside the DS4, hence the additional power drain. The DS3 had four LEDs itself.

In any case, the issue isn't the lightbar but the fact that the battery just isn't up to the task.

Associate
I would be all over this if it supports the full 4K UHD media spec and plays HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR. That alone for me would be worth the upgrade and anything else is a bonus. 4K UHD players are around £500 so if the PS4K can play those and also offer small upgrades in graphics and CPU power then I'd be all over it.

Also 4K blu rays are £19.99 not £29.99 as Psycho Sonny says

This is my hope. Although if they could do a release of the xb1 with all that in it I'd pick that up instead just so I didn't feel like I was buying the same thing again. That said if it is only the ps4k that does it I'll definitely get one since I just got a 4k TV and I'll be replacing my av receiver with one suitable for 4k along with a uhd player of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom