• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Soldato
Making a card with around 390 performance for around £200 was always going to be an easy target.

AMD do need to build momentum, they will never do it by coming up with cards that are while good in their own right still very mediocre in the wider scheme of things.

They made a card which it has been obvious for a long time was going to compete directly with the 1060 at a similar price and performance.

The fact is AMD need to be thinking a lot bolder than that, to get that momentum they need to be thinking their cards as the obvious choice, significantly greater performance at a lower price.

It feels like they thought "the 970 did well didn't it? lets do that, literally that and stick 8GB on it"

No, the competition does not stand still.

This might be the case in the UK but from what i have seen they have brought out a gtx970 performer that cost $200 compared to $329 for the gtx970. They have essentially brought this performance level down a tier. We need to stop looking at the £ price and eol pricing as a comparison as those Gpu's won't be with us long. The card seems to be selling well and is sold out every where when you look for the top selling brands.

It could have been better for sure but if this is the GPU going into the next Playstation i would prefer it in my system to a gtx1060. In a years time this will be crapping all over a gtx970 with more and more dx12/Vulkan games on the market.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Don't worry, it will slow enough once the 1060 goes on sale.

Its a good card but not good enough to build the momentum they need to compete with Nvidia.

In My opinion, and i hope i'm wrong :)

1060 will be great, I am confident RX 480 sales shall remain strong as well. Both cards are fantastic. :)

Caporegime
Here lies the problem, amd cards will never have the fanbase nvidia has because the age old accusations of "bad drivers" continue to this day, a reputation amd had back around the time of the rage fury maxx and that was in 1999, here we are 17 years later and a lot of people still believe this to be fact. Its just something that refuses to go away despite the fact amd got their drivers in much better order due to acquiring artx around 2002. Amd drivers have been as good or better than nvidia drivers for over a decade now but that old chestnut still continues to surface.

Both companies have their issues with multi gpu, but the scuttlebutt as always is amd's issues are much worse.

Spot on, ive said it many times :)

Caporegime
This might be the case in the UK but from what i have seen they have brought out a gtx970 performer that cost $200 compared to $329 for the gtx970. They have essentially brought this performance level down a tier. We need to stop looking at the £ price and eol pricing as a comparison as those Gpu's won't be with us long. The card seems to be selling well and is sold out every where when you look for the top selling brands.

It could have been better for sure but if this is the GPU going into the next Playstation i would prefer it in my system to a gtx1060. In a years time this will be crapping all over a gtx970 with more and more dx12/Vulkan games on the market.

Your using launch pricing of the 970, it came down from that a year ago and a lot more since but before the RX 480.

In that sense your making a good point but the world does not work in retrospective, AMD need to deal with the hear and now, the 970 has been at way under $300 for some very popular AIB cards for a year or more, including those monster sellers the EVGA SC.

And UK pricing is more like £230, for the reference ones.

Soldato
Yes i am comparing launch pricing as we always should. When the 480 is end of life lets compare it's Eol pricing to the gtx970. It's like for like pricing. At launch things always cost more due to manufacturing costs and demand. As things improve in manufacturing and demand drops then pricing will go down. The price/performance must be good as like Gibbo said these are sold out every where with pre orders still flying in.

The UK price matters not to the rest of the world. It's all about the $ price and there currency in comparison. In $ this card was a great price.

Last edited:
Associate
launch price has nothing to do with it..its what you can buy now,here,today not what you could have bought for more last year.

I don't care if a 970 cost £1000000 at launch day,that doesn't make it a better deal than a 480 because today you can save £99999800 on the 970 today vs launch price does it.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yes i am comparing launch pricing as we always should. When the 480 is end of life lets compare it's Eol pricing to the gtx970. It's like for like pricing. At launch things always cost more due to manufacturing costs and demand. As things improve in manufacturing and demand drops then pricing will go down. The price/performance must be good as like Gibbo said these are sold out every where with pre orders still flying in.

The UK price matters not to the rest of the world. It's all about the $ price and there currency in comparison. In $ this card was a great price.

Exactly, 970's were not £199 at launch like they are now.

When RX 480's are EOL they will easily be around the £150 region.

Soldato
launch price has nothing to do with it..its what you can buy now,here,today not what you could have bought for more last year.

I don't care if a 970 cost £1000000 at launch day,that doesn't make it a better deal than a 480 because today you can save £99999800 on the 970 today vs launch price does it.

In the scale of things you are correct but you won't be able to buy a gtx970 or 390 as they are soon to be gone. Cards always start high and get lower mainly. So if the rrp is $200/$239 they should go down over time.

OcUK Staff
OP
In the scale of things you are correct but you won't be able to buy a gtx970 or 390 as they are soon to be gone. Cards always start high and get lower mainly. So if the rrp is $200/$239 they should go down over time.

Correct, our 390's are now nearly all gone. We are speaking to a partner about building 1k more, but unfortunately it looks like they do not have the parts to do it at all. :(

970 we are now down to our last 1000 units, which we do not expect to last long because at the £199-£220 they are fantastic value, especially the Strix card which has £20 cashback to bring it sub £200 makes it the best buy.

Soldato
so has anyone seen any 480vs1060 reviews floating around? guess not till tomorrow but just wonder if anyone has got their hands on one earlier and reviewed it.

Associate
Pre-ordered an Nitro RX 480, just been reading that it may not be arriving for a little while longer now, debating about going with the Fury Nitro at £299.99 is that due to arrive before or after the RX480. Thanks for your work on this.

Soldato
Making a card with around 390 performance for around £200 was always going to be an easy target.

AMD do need to build momentum, they will never do it by coming up with cards that are while good in their own right still very mediocre in the wider scheme of things.

They made a card which it has been obvious for a long time was going to compete directly with the 1060 at a similar price and performance.

The fact is AMD need to be thinking a lot bolder than that, to get that momentum they need to be thinking their cards as the obvious choice, significantly greater performance at a lower price.

It feels like they thought "the 970 did well didn't it? lets do that, literally that and stick 8GB on it"

No, the competition does not stand still.

Well if they're selling out its clear they are doing well with it as it is. The problem is they don't have the production or the money for the production to satisfy demand, leaving a window open for the 1060 to snap up some customers.

Associate
They only have 4GB vram though, which isn't enough.

Please stop spreading mis-information like that, you can't directly compare HBM with GDDR5 or even GDDR5X. If memory can be moved much faster (and on a much wider bus as well) you're not going to see the same spikes in usage, even with the same assets / textures being used, which means you can get away with less VRAM for similar scenarios.

Why do you think the Shadow of Mordor HD texture pack works just fine on the Fury X while it uses as much as 6GB on cards with GDDR5 memory?

Caporegime

Well then difference in thinking i guess, IMO this retrospective sort of thinking will not regain them their lost market share.

Part of that momentum is price for performance, people are not going to take notice of you if that price for performance is the same as it is for the older gen but cuz that older gen was more expensive a year ago.

Associate
exactly lokken..I so want to buy an AIB 480 but I'm not willing to keep waiting and waiting because amd screwed up with demand flow,if the 1060 aib is a fair price then sorry amd you lost a customer,i suspect I wont be the only one too.

Associate
Do you think the 1060 will be released before 480 AIB? If we still don't have any Nitro's would it be possible to cancel the preorder and buy a 1060 instead?

Associate
Thinking about the 4GB Nitro - how overclockable is the RAM? Any reports of getting it to match the 8GB clocks?

As has been mentioned, these aren't even in production yet. August at the earliest?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom