Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Caporegime
My thoughts on the game are:

Visuals and performance
The overall graphics are much improved on the previous game, and despite what some people here have, I think it looks very good (I used a mixture of Ultra and Very High settings). 21:9 Ultra wide is now fully supported after just 7 days, so that is to their credit. One criticism I do have is that some of the animations during conversations are lacklustre at best. I was slightly disappointed by the performance in places, as very occasionally the FPS would drop below 40 fps at which point G-SYNC isn't any help and though it doesn't ruin the experience it's not great considering that I have very decent hardware.

Gameplay More of the same as Human Revolution really, they've just slightly improved on some areas. Exactly what I wanted if I'm honest!

Story and setting
This was probably my biggest issue. The hub style level design is now seemless and sprawling with very little loading required and lots of areas to explore.

But in many ways it seems like a much smaller game than Human Revolution with a far less interesting storyline to bite your teeth in to. Location wise it just doesn't compare to the previous game. That had you going to Detroit, China, Montreal, Singapore, Panchaea and the Omega Ranch in the DLC.

This one basically has a tutorial in Dubai, two areas of Prague and also
Golem city, GARM and London

It ends abruptly, it doesn't really progress the overall Deus Ex story in any meaningful way, and Adam Jensen doesn't really have much of an arc this time. Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a good article about this:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/26/deus-ex-adam-jensen/

I enjoyed it and will play through it again, but roll on Dishonored 2.

Soldato
mediocre? :p It has its problems but it is deserving of peoples money, its just not as good as HR, but that doesn't mean its a bad game - far from it.

Mediocre doesn't mean bad. I'd say better than Mad Max but not as good as Fallout 4, which was a weaker game than 3 and Vegas. So 7/10. I'm playing it, it's just boring and I've got a dodgy ending to look forward to. Games like Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3 lived up to their billing, too many games simply don't.

I have to change control scheme to holster my weapon.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My thoughts on the game are:

Visuals and performance
The overall graphics are much improved on the previous game, and despite what some people here have, I think it looks very good (I used a mixture of Ultra and Very High settings). 21:9 Ultra wide is now fully supported after just 7 days, so that is to their credit. One criticism I do have is that some of the animations during conversations are lacklustre at best. I was slightly disappointed by the performance in places, as very occasionally the FPS would drop below 40 fps at which point G-SYNC isn't any help and though it doesn't ruin the experience it's not great considering that I have very decent hardware.

Gameplay More of the same as Human Revolution really, they've just slightly improved on some areas. Exactly what I wanted if I'm honest!

Story and setting
This was probably my biggest issue. The hub style level design is now seemless and sprawling with very little loading required and lots of areas to explore.

But in many ways it seems like a much smaller game than Human Revolution with a far less interesting storyline to bite your teeth in to. Location wise it just doesn't compare to the previous game. That had you going to Detroit, China, Montreal, Singapore, Panchaea and the Omega Ranch in the DLC.

This one basically has a tutorial in Dubai, two areas of Prague and also
Golem city, GARM and London

It ends abruptly, it doesn't really progress the overall Deus Ex story in any meaningful way, and Adam Jensen doesn't really have much of an arc this time. Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a good article about this:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/26/deus-ex-adam-jensen/

I enjoyed it and will play through it again, but roll on Dishonored 2.

Pretty much my thoughts also. I would still give it an 8 out of 10 for me and will likely play it a few more times, plus got dlc coming, let us hope they are big and meaty, not silly couple hour things.

One thing that I felt was, by the time I first left Prague which I had fully explored, I felt a bit burnt out, I kept finding the same stuff. I had so much quantity of all the same things, then you go to sell them to buy something else and there is nothing exciting to buy apart from a very limited number of praxis points. I had tons of money left in the end.

Exploring out of all deus ex games including IW, this was the least fun.

The story felt like a B movie, I am reading the book deus ex black light and I am only 2 chapters and and it is a lot more interesting.

Associate
Well I'm nowhere near finished yet (I don't think) and I've found the story engaging enough, different people to side with, loads of interesting bits of lore to find etc. I have read the ending is disappointing though so I'll have to wait and see.

Associate
Not played a great deal of this yet, it's been a long time since I've played HR so not sure what's going on really with regards to the controls.

Doesn't really ease you in at all, where do you get ammo? how do you allocate items to number keys? The augments are a bit confusing, you have to manage power by disabling abilities however it says they're permanently disabled when you do this?

On the plus side it runs really well so I'll return to this at some point and try and make sense if it.

Caporegime
Doesn't really ease you in at all, where do you get ammo? how do you allocate items to number keys? The augments are a bit confusing, you have to manage power by disabling abilities however it says they're permanently disabled when you do this?

If its your first DE game I suppose it could be confusing, but really it's a simple enough interface. Open inventory, press item then the key you want to assign it too. Ammo you just pick up or craft.

One thing that has been consistent throughout the series though is that ammo is not really plentiful, and you do have to think about making it count in many situations.

I thought the mod walkthrough cutscene bit with Koller was also pretty well explained :p.

Soldato

There are literally tool tips that pop up for everything you mentioned across the beginning of the game that explains everything you mentioned. I don't understand how you appear to have missed, or not consumed this information.

Associate
There are literally tool tips that pop up for everything you mentioned across the beginning of the game that explains everything you mentioned. I don't understand how you appear to have missed, or not consumed this information.

I don't remember seeing them. :eek:

Might watch a walkthrough video of the start to recap, probably plenty on Youtube.

I remember tutorials on combat/cover and the augments and that's about it, oh and the shooting range but that wasn't during the start.

I did complete HR but this was 5 years ago!! :p

Associate
One thing that has been consistent throughout the series though is that ammo is not really plentiful, and you do have to think about making it count in many situations.

Not finding that as much in Mankind Divided - I've got over 120 stun gun darts and I've been using it fairly regularly, got 400+ combat rifle rounds etc. lol. I think they've put too much ammo in this one! I should add I haven't bought any of this, all found in-game.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not finding that as much in Mankind Divided - I've got over 120 stun gun darts and I've been using it fairly regularly, got 400+ combat rifle rounds etc. lol. I think they've put too much ammo in this one! I should add I haven't bought any of this, all found in-game.

I had loads and loads of ammo, kept selling them. Plus take downs are fun so no need for much ammo anyway :p

Soldato

Yeah, always have shed loads for my main weapons. By the end had 200+ Tesla cartridges and good 150+ of Tranq and Stun gun ammo. Really depends how you play the game I guess, just go around taking everyone down and you will have loads on hand. If your going full on rampage mode, then I can imagine burning through stuff quickly!

Going into newgame + with all the ammo, good times :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just reading the book Black Light and it is painfully obvious what is is missing get from the MD is bring over one or two people over from MD. They did a **** poor job with Sarif.

Then you got the new cast of Miller, Vega and others which I don't even remember their names already. So forgettable and rubbish they were compared to HR.

Just bringing Pritchard in somehow would have made MD better for me. I really enjoyed Jensen and Pritchard's relationship in HR.

Caporegime
I know. Barely a mention of Megan (who joined Bob Page at Versalife in the post credits cutscene of HR) and Pritchards only mention was in your apartment.

Miller made an impact because Vernon Wells did a poor job with the V.O.

Nobody else really registered.

Associate
I got into Prague then did what I always do in Deus Ex games.... kill everyone.

The problem is civilians do not drop any items, only a few random shop keepers. And I waste more ammo killing all the police than I gain. Sad times =*(

Was a nice way of stocking up on ammo in the previous games :)

Associate
As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not convinced there is enough incentive for me here to do a subsequent playthrough of this so I've just had a think about what could be different/changed to make it more interesting/different a second time around.

So non-lethal/ghost playthrough:

More organic/RP playthrough - no hacking into randoms apartments and stealing all their stuff (so don't end up with crazy amount of ammo/biocells)
Turn off as much of HUD as is reasonable (radar probably first to go)
Augs - less overpowered stuff so no smart vision/cloak. Just stuff like jump, icarus dash. Idea being keep stealth more skill based. PEPS, TESLA. No inventory expansions, weapon carry limit, e.g. stun gun and tranq rifle only and a handful of emp/concussion grenades

OR

All guns blazing

Keep exploration more RP/organic
Keep HUD options same as above
As much inventory as you want, loads of guns/grenades/mines
Augs - dermal armour, titan, eye protection, all the weaponry augs (recoil etc), nano blades, typhoon

Soldato
Just had my Foxiest of the Hounds playthrough ruined right near the end because I didn't know in advance not to contact Miller instead of Vega and the game then conveniently waits till you go through 2 Autosave points before triggering an unavoidable ****ing alarm. Stupid **** like that really ****es me off.

Lost all desire to play this game now.

Back
Top Bottom