HTC Vive

Soldato
silly question but does travel sickness pills help ?
I've never suffered with any form of travel sickness so could not say. Just to be clear as rereading my post suggests there is always an initial bout of queasiness when I play ED. Not true; only those first two times. Clearly my old clapped out noggin can still learn and retain sensations! :)

Associate
Just tried the new steam beta with asynchronous reprojection on and DCS world is so much better, I always used the Huey free flight Nevada and the difference is amazing, I always had ghosting and stuttering but that's gone, even managed to put the detail up from low/medium, to high using 1.5 SS. Still some issues so these may need dropping a touch but really impressed with the difference.

Will try some other games like Elite, project cars later

Soldato
Definitely makes a difference with elite.

Notched it down to medium on the 2.2 update, but it was still jerking around a bit with the orbital stations, the beta resolved that for me.

New guys on elite, id suggest you take the mouse control off before you jump in to a training mission. You'll be in a spin from the start... it'll feel like you're on a fair ride:)

Also glass bottom cockpits you want to avoid.. and the new hyperspace can be nauseating.

Associate
OP
Guys I want to buy a vive, however do I have to set up the whole room?
Only want it for elite dangerous, not the activities part

Is the Vive the best choice for Elite : Dangerous? I've heard a few comments saying that the Rift is better in comparison.

I've got the Vive and mainly play Elite : Dangerous with it, but but I was having some second thoughts about not buying a Rift (not based on direct experience though...)

Soldato
Is the Vive the best choice for Elite : Dangerous? I've heard a few comments saying that the Rift is better in comparison.

I've got the Vive and mainly play Elite : Dangerous with it, but but I was having some second thoughts about not buying a Rift (not based on direct experience though...)

With the new Steam VR yes, is great it seems.
Also I wouldn't consider Rift, because it doesn't support Steam VR.

Soldato
With the new Steam VR yes, is great it seems.
Also I wouldn't consider Rift, because it doesn't support Steam VR.

Thats funny, my steam VR supports rift, admittedly without hand controllers.

Rift seems widely regarded as being better for ED, I haven't tried it but thats what I've read pretty much everywhere.

Soldato

For seated experiences i'd go with the Rift and its well documented that Elite is better on the Rift.

For anything room scale etc Vive is the obvious winner atm.

ArmitageShanks said:
Damn, beat me to it! Can't wait to get my hands on this...if it really has solved the latency issue

Vive has a latency issue?

Last edited:
Associate
I can't wait to see this wireless kit tested. It also suggests Vive Mk2 will be wireless :) (though maybe they'll have 2 SKUs, one wireless and one wired (to save on costs))

Soldato
Associate
Vive has a latency issue?
Not at all. But wireless transmission of video data usually tends to introduce latency (and sometimes compression artefacts), at least at traditional wireless frequencies.

Apparently this has a 15ms latency, which is slightly more than one frame I think? Will have to see how that pans out since that might be enough to cause nausea in certain people.

Soldato
I think it will be an issue for people who would use it in a different room especially if you have thick walls. A blessing and curse at the same time.
I'm so used to the cables being there that I'll stick with what I have.

Associate
I think they got that from the TPCAST website. Having a look myself, the bandwidth they quote for their VR scissors tech is only 87.3Mbps. That doesn't sound feasible unless they're compressing and/or cutting the framerate?

Soldato
LibreVR has just released a beta version of the ReVive injector for Oculus Touch :D

There are a couple of apps on the Oculus store that can be used to test this.

He has segmented off the touchpads of Vive wands into virtual buttons and thumbsticks :eek:

Back
Top Bottom