HTC Vive

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Had some really good fun tonight.

First time with Longbow and leaderboards. My left shoulder was killing me!
Accounting was very very awesome. Quite a trip and so polished.
Tried space pirate trainer. Not keen on endless shooters. Will probably refund.
Picked up Serious Sam, still to try it out.
Got Virtual Desktop and watched some *ahem* for the first time. Very amusing and semi-convincing. Defo the future.

Associate
Asynchronous reprojection now available in Steam VR beta. Requirements are - for the time being at least - nvidia hardware with the latest drivers (372.54).

Haven't had chance to try it myself, but the difference has been described in the DCS forum (by one person after 5 mins testing) as 'night and day'. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Soldato
Asynchronous reprojection now available in Steam VR beta. Requirements are - for the time being at least - nvidia hardware with the latest drivers (372.54).

Haven't had chance to try it myself, but the difference has been described in the DCS forum (by one person after 5 mins testing) as 'night and day'. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

was just about to post this, ah well will link to the notes, no AMD yet :(

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/599369548909298226

Soldato
Revive 1.0 Preview out now, needs latest SteamVR beta to be installed.

Sounds bloody good to me, improvements galore :D

This release is a preview version that requires the SteamVR beta, it will lag and crash otherwise.

In the new SteamVR beta support has been added for Asynchronous Reprojection which is also known as ATW for Oculus Games. Revive automatically gains support for this when you switch to the SteamVR beta, without having to update Revive.

However the new beta has a couple of more surprises. A bug was fixed in the frame submission which was heavily affecting Revive performance as it introduced an extra frame of latency. This means that motion-to-photon latency has been reduced for many Oculus games even if you can't use Asynchronous Reprojection.

But wait, there's more. Another bug was fixed in a function called the PostPresentHandoff(), this allows Revive to postpone waiting on the running start until it's necessary. This trick gives a big boost in performance in games that were bottlenecked on the CPU such as Dirt Rally. In Dirt Rally this will nearly double the fps (as long as your GPU is not the bottleneck).

I wanted to postpone this feature until the Revive 1.0 release, because if anyone tries to use this release with the SteamVR stable it will lag and crash. But I figured I might as well give a preview of it for the people playing Dirt Rally on the Vive.

Associate
I installed Steam VR beta tonight and have been fiddling around for about an hour.

I booted up project cars to try, I always use the same settings to test changes. I was gutted, it was awful :( I had a look in the Steam settings panel and I had both Allow asynchronous reprojection and Allow interleaved reprojection. I turned off Allow interleaved reprojection and it was instantly much much better. I tried Allow interleaved projection on its own and it was awful again.

With just Asynchronous reprojection it was noticeably smoother than before using Steam beta and allowed me to up a few settings. I was running minimal settings with a SS of 1.1 before and the reprojection was almost constantly noticeable. I am now running a few medium settings and its nice and smooth.

I also tried MSI Electric City demo which I find useful for a VR benchmark and previously I could only run on quality setting of 3 and 4 with no noticeable reprojection, I can now run on setting 2 and even setting 1 with only a very slight judder / slow down in a couple of parts but none of the blurriness I used to get.

Very pleased so far, it feels like I've upgraded my GPU :)

On the downside I would imagine if you were running a system that performs very well and able to run a decent SS setting then you may find some of the games that do not allow in game SS will be a step backwards as I don't think you can SS after the update? I was able to run The Blu and Job Sim at 1.3 - 1.4 SS whereas after the update I'm locked to the standard setting with no in-game adjustment. This update benefits lower spec VR setups at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
You realise you are in the HTC Vive thread right? Might be better asking in the Rift thread for a proper answer, I heard the motion sickness was pretty bad but have not tried it personally.

Some people bought both headsets, and I thought I'd make others aware it was going to be released for the vive soon...

Just read about the motion sickness side to it, lol. Visually it looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Associate
I got around to trying Elite Dangerous recently and...

it's the first game that made me sweat and feel sick. When the ship rolls it was instant discomfort.

Not sure I can be bothered to try and fight through it and see if it gets better.

Soldato

it's the first game that made me sweat and feel sick. When the ship rolls it was instant discomfort.

Not sure I can be bothered to try and fight through it and see if it gets better.
I'd say stick with it if you can; it is easily the best VR game in my opinion.

Like you as soon as I rolled the ship I felt instantly queasy and after a few minutes I had to stop and reassess. This was after feeling no discomfort with any other VR game or experience. After a few days I tried again and the queasiness was still there but less intense. Some hours later and I felt no discomfort whatsoever and was lurching my head all over the place tracking enemy ships through the cockpit.

I suppose different VR games require different VR legs!

Definitely stick with it if you can.

Associate
Going to be super interesting if anyone actually cracks simulating the effects of motion on your vestibular system. G alvanic vestibular stimulation will mean that rolling around in a VR cockpit will feel 'real' and probably help with a lot of motion sickness.

Associate

Stick with it. I struggled with Onward for the first couple of hours but now I'm fine with it. Still feel a bit on Elite using the docking computer though.

Soldato
I'd say stick with it if you can; it is easily the best VR game in my opinion.

Like you as soon as I rolled the ship I felt instantly queasy and after a few minutes I had to stop and reassess. This was after feeling no discomfort with any other VR game or experience. After a few days I tried again and the queasiness was still there but less intense. Some hours later and I felt no discomfort whatsoever and was lurching my head all over the place tracking enemy ships through the cockpit.

I suppose different VR games require different VR legs!

Definitely stick with it if you can.

silly question but does travel sickness pills help ?

Back
Top Bottom