The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
I've bought lots of stuff form Harrisons before, great shop with great prices.

Maybe they are with your brands but not m43. They have a used 12mm for £500 when at least ten other shops are selling them new at £549, I can buy imported new for less as well.

10% off for used is steep.

Soldato
Maybe they are with your brands but not m43. They have a used 12mm for £500 when at least ten other shops are selling them new at £549, I can buy imported new for less as well.

10% off for used is steep.

The imports don't have VAT attached to them and Harrison's offer a full 12 month warranty with all used products not your standard 3 months you get from most used stores.

On the 2 occasions I've used them for warranty they were superb, they did a straight swap in store for a lens and had a flash repaired and back to within 7 days. As I said previously they, like all used stockists blow hot and cold on all products but in addition some items can be priced to attract trade in rather than a direct sale which Harrisons also offer.

Sometimes the saving is worth it, sometimes it isn't.

And

And

Associate
They compare fairly well to others (on new stock) but everything's jumped in price recently for obvious reasons. My Canon supertele is 10% (or more) dearer than I paid two and a half years ago.

Caporegime
The imports don't have VAT attached to them and Harrison's offer a full 12 month warranty with all used products not your standard 3 months you get from most used stores.

On the 2 occasions I've used them for warranty they were superb, they did a straight swap in store for a lens and had a flash repaired and back to within 7 days. As I said previously they, like all used stockists blow hot and cold on all products but in addition some items can be priced to attract trade in rather than a direct sale which Harrisons also offer.

Sometimes the saving is worth it, sometimes it isn't.

You are missing my point. Jessops and 9 other UK camera outlets have UK stock with full retailers and manufacturers warranty for £549 (I only mentioned the imported as they they are £400 ish but would need VAT adding and are grey import) but Harrisons want £500 for a second hand excellent condition lens with albeit their own 12 months warranty.

Going rate on Ebay for that lens is £350 to £400 so you are paying over £100 for that warranty with Harrisons.

I am not saying they arent competitive with Nikon and Canon lenses as I have no idea what they are worth but on Olympus m43 I was just passing comment that selling second hand lenses for 10% less than new doesn't look good value IMO and I would always pay that extra £50 just to have a brand new lens.

Soldato
Had a bit of a clear out. Sold my 10-22, 50 1.8 and all of my Micro Four Thirds gear and used the money to buy a 16-35 F4 IS L.

Three Ls in the family now for use with my 5d ii and still have my 7d and Sigma 120-300 f2.8 for motorsport.

20161123_181327.jpg

Nearly a match - I have the 100 & 16-35 but the 24-70.

Thinking of flogging the macro as I never use it.

Soldato
31442742296_b528664a67_b.jpg

The 1DX came from LCE Derby branch, it was in a "sale" marked down by £800!
Being suspicious I asked for the serial number and it was outside the problem range so I asked why it was reduced. They said they were over stocked.
Very nice condition, just 1 tiny mark on the LCD screen, 80,000 clicks.

The Sigma came from WEX, excellent service as usual (for me anyway).
I got a voucher to get free next day delivery and after I'd ordered I got a card through the door offering £20 off stuff ordered that day over £150.
I called them up and asked for retrospective discount, confirmation came through just now by email.
I had a 1Div some time ago so I'm not too shocked by the menus. If there's some decent light today I'll try my hand at some BIF's, got to be better than my E-M1!

Caporegime
Also interested in your focal views Derek. I have been meaning to buy for ages. I used the dot tune microadjust method and that works very well. I'd just like something a bit quicker and automated.

Soldato
The 1DX came from LCE Derby branch, it was in a "sale" marked down by £800!
Being suspicious I asked for the serial number and it was outside the problem range so I asked why it was reduced. They said they were over stocked.
Very nice condition, just 1 tiny mark on the LCD screen, 80,000 clicks.

The Sigma came from WEX, excellent service as usual (for me anyway).
I got a voucher to get free next day delivery and after I'd ordered I got a card through the door offering £20 off stuff ordered that day over £150.
I called them up and asked for retrospective discount, confirmation came through just now by email.
I had a 1Div some time ago so I'm not too shocked by the menus. If there's some decent light today I'll try my hand at some BIF's, got to be better than my E-M1!

Cracking buy is that.
Be great to see images from the 150-600mm, I'm looking at one myself but I just don't know which one to go for.

Soldato
Cracking buy is that.
Be great to see images from the 150-600mm, I'm looking at one myself but I just don't know which one to go for.

I'm using the lens at it's limits in terms of focal length and I'm more than impressed with it's quality.
Unless someone really wants or needs the improved weather sealing the lower price and weight advantage of the C version makes it a really good buy.

Back
Top Bottom