Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Get some instock ocuk please. £499 or cheaper :D

Any difference palying on a 24" then the 27" as the 24" version is in stock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-08l-de.html Is this the same as the 27"?.

The 24" is better as it goes to 165hz and has no overshoot issues. Otherwise same gamma issue and has a relatively grain free panel like the newer revisions of the 27". Really superb 24" monitor once you either use an ICC profile or nvidia CP gamma. One of the best gaming monitors IMO.

Associate
Hi thanks. So what best for 1440p don't for get I'm using 27" now on a 1080p 144hz monitor and things look too pixelated. Sorry for asking all question but spending £500+ is a lot a lot of money and want to get it right. (If the 27" was in stock I would grab it today.)

Associate
The 24" is better as it goes to 165hz and has no overshoot issues. Otherwise same gamma issue and has a relatively grain free panel like the newer revisions of the 27". Really superb 24" monitor once you either use an ICC profile or nvidia CP gamma. One of the best gaming monitors IMO.

Iv heard the when you change the gamma it can switch back in some games to default settings but stays on desktop, is this still the case?

If it does stay in game then im gonna pull the trigger on this, cant handle the stress of the lottery with a ips panel from asus/acer.

Not unless there is some major improvments to bbl and ips glow to some monitors i havnt heard about in 2017 perhaps?

Last edited:
Associate
Iv heard the when you change the gamma it can switch back in some games to default settings but stays on desktop, is this still the case?

If it does stay in game then im gonna pull the trigger on this, cant handle the stress of the lottery with a ips panel from asus/acer.

Not unless there is some major improvments to bbl and ips glow to some monitors i havnt heard about in 2017 perhaps?

Apparently games dont retain the ICC or NCP colour settings. I cant tell the difference though with mine. Witcher 3 does have a 'retain gamma' setting which does make it look less washed out, not that it looks washed out at all in the first place, but does look a bit better.

Rather silly that the ICC profile doesnt stick.

Associate
Apparently games dont retain the ICC or NCP colour settings. I cant tell the difference though with mine. Witcher 3 does have a 'retain gamma' setting which does make it look less washed out, not that it looks washed out at all in the first place, but does look a bit better.

Rather silly that the ICC profile doesnt stick.

SO there is no external fix for this or no firmware update to be installed to solve this issue? bit of a shame really as if the gamma was adjustable in game also id put this up there as the best gaming monitor.

The only other option i can see is the updated pg278qr as apposed to the pg278q. Little bit more dolla though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I've not really had any problem with games keeping the nVidia control panel gamma setting - some people have problems with it for some reason but I've never had though not sure why. I've had games that ignore any ICC profile settings though so don't tend to use that approach.

The lack of hardware gamma control is quite a strange one as it really does make a dramatic difference to the presentation of the monitor.

Associate
Can only see this as a minor fix due rendering of desktop and taking some frames off performance but i guess its all you can for the moment if there isnt a control panel that can hold the settings 100%.

Associate

Most modern games will use your ICC or nvidia fix when in fullscreen mode anyway but if a game doesn't like 'The Division' then I just use Borderless fullscreen mode which G-Sync supports now anyway & it is basically the same really as proper fullscreen mode although I choose that option when I can. Not been an issue for me. I test each new game to see which to use.
Obviously I calibrated with an i1 display pro & use the ICC profile i made. Nvidia CP gamma is a good 2nd best though.

SO there is no external fix for this or no firmware update to be installed to solve this issue? bit of a shame really as if the gamma was adjustable in game also id put this up there as the best gaming monitor.

The only other option i can see is the updated pg278qr as apposed to the pg278q. Little bit more dolla though.

Yes the PG278QR is excellent but be aware it has a relatively grainy panel compared to the Dell new revisions if that bothers you.

Can only see this as a minor fix due rendering of desktop and taking some frames off performance but i guess its all you can for the moment if there isnt a control panel that can hold the settings 100%.

Depending on how good your gpu is I would lose a couple of fps if that does hold true in some games compared to using a blurry, BLB & glow ridden IPS so called gaming panel. I haven't noticed an issue on borderless window mode but my fps are usually so high I won't miss a few fps even if it happened.

Associate
Yes the PG278QR is excellent but be aware it has a relatively grainy panel compared to the Dell new revisions if that bothers you.

I have not bought a panel in about 4 years, I honestly didn't think buying a top end monitor would be this much hassle haha.

I running a msi 1070 x with a 6700k, think it would be fine but wh playing 500 quid I just fell like I shouldn't have to mess around like that.

Associate
Hi thanks. So what best for 1440p don't for get I'm using 27" now on a 1080p 144hz monitor and things look too pixelated. Sorry for asking all question but spending £500+ is a lot a lot of money and want to get it right. (If the 27" was in stock I would grab it today.)

If you are already using a 27" then you will see an upgrade for sure at 1440p. You might find 24" too small perhaps. Me personally I want as close to 4k PPI (well 4k 32" PPI i guess) as I have used 4k but I also want really high hz & fps so the small Dell is my best option for gaming right now, a best of both compromise. Plus AA is usually awful in games nowadays so at this size I can turn it off like at 4k & it still will look good to me.

One way to look at it is that the smaller the monitor & the higher the PPI is a freebie as it takes the same gpu power to run it & it looks sharper plus the monitor will be cheaper. Although some people just like a bit bigger screen regardless I suppose.

I running a msi 1070 x with a 6700k, think it would be fine but wh playing 500 quid I just fell like I shouldn't have to mess around like that.

I'm running that cpu too at 4.6ghz & I have 3600mhz ram. I have no bottlenecks on my Titan XP (always at 95-99% usage at max settings on modern games) so your gtx1070 will have no issues getting top fps it can achieve. 3000mhz ram & over is the area of ram speed to have it seems for skylake.

As you said monitor buying can be a pain. IPS mostly guarantees awful IPS glow although an odd monitor is good. BLB is less an issue or no issue on TN at least in my experience. For pure gaming a modern quality TN is perfect. The 27" dell has some overshoot though which would annoy me on top of the gamma (fixable) issue & of course the Asus PG278QR new version is perfect apart from the grainy panel.

I understand pro gamers need bright gamma for quick fps gaming in dark areas but why Dell can't add several gamma options so you can darken it easily to 2.2 gamma for normal people who play all kinds of games & enjoy a nice image to look at. The Dells produce great images when the gamma is sorted. At least TN monitors are at a point where having to do a gamma fix or having a grainy panel are the only concerns. Everything else on these G-Sync models is brilliant image & movement wise.

Associate
I'm running that cpu too at 4.6ghz & I have 3600mhz ram. I have no bottlenecks on my Titan XP (always at 95-99% usage at max settings on modern games) so your gtx1070 will have no issues getting top fps it can achieve. 3000mhz ram & over is the area of ram speed to have it seems for skylake.

As you said monitor buying can be a pain. IPS mostly guarantees awful IPS glow although an odd monitor is good. BLB is less an issue or no issue on TN at least in my experience. For pure gaming a modern quality TN is perfect. The 27" dell has some overshoot though which would annoy me on top of the gamma (fixable) issue & of course the Asus PG278QR new version is perfect apart from the grainy panel.

I understand pro gamers need bright gamma for quick fps gaming in dark areas but why Dell can't add several gamma options so you can darken it easily to 2.2 gamma for normal people who play all kinds of games & enjoy a nice image to look at. The Dells produce great images when the gamma is sorted. At least TN monitors are at a point where having to do a gamma fix or having a grainy panel are the only concerns. Everything else on these G-Sync models is brilliant image & movement wise.

I've never seen a grainy panel up close, is it really noticible?

Associate
I've never seen a grainy panel up close, is it really noticible?

A lot of people would say yes. A matte screen is fine but it doesn't need to be really grainy to reject reflections so i don't understand why many TN panels have to have it. At least Dell have seen sense and made their panels be reasonable. Asus on the other hand just don't learn for their TN ones. On a 27" i find it really noticable and annoying.

Associate
If you are already using a 27" then you will see an upgrade for sure at 1440p. You might find 24" too small perhaps. Me personally I want as close to 4k PPI (well 4k 32" PPI i guess) as I have used 4k but I also want really high hz & fps so the small Dell is my best option for gaming right now, a best of both compromise. Plus AA is usually awful in games nowadays so at this size I can turn it off like at 4k & it still will look good to me.

One way to look at it is that the smaller the monitor & the higher the PPI is a freebie as it takes the same gpu power to run it & it looks sharper plus the monitor will be cheaper. Although some people just like a bit bigger screen regardless I suppose.

I got this reply on Reddit

[–]reciprocake 1 point 6 hours ago
Load a custom icc profile from tftcentral. That calibration stays on regardless of what you're doing on your pc

Would make the gamma stick? Perhaps someone could test this, would be great.

Associate
I really want this monitor, gutted I only just started to look at this size after the price was down to £360 several times through the course of December. Need to buy a 1070 too, so around £400 is all I can really afford on a monitor. Currently weighing up being patient and waiting for the dell or buying the Acer XB271HUAbmiprz (snappy name...) for £450.

Associate
I got this reply on Reddit

[–]reciprocake 1 point 6 hours ago
Load a custom icc profile from tftcentral. That calibration stays on regardless of what you're doing on your pc

Would make the gamma stick? Perhaps someone could test this, would be great.

It will load up everytime you boot up your PC and be active on all desktop stuff. But like i said before some games will ignore it when running via exclusive full screen like 'The Division' so you just run them in borderless window mode instead, most others though run fine with the profile in exclusive fullscreen. The only issue would be if a game has no fullscreen borderless mode and ignores the profile in exclusive full screen mode but their can't be many games like that now in this day and age. I have an ICC profile running but it's my own as i have the equipment to calibrate myself and so don't need to use someone elses ICC profile like the one from TFT central. So in answer yes it will fix the gamma in all but a very few circumstances although the profile is not for your monitor but theres so it won't be as accurate on your version of the monitor but should be an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom