Mountain Biking

Soldato
Off to Cannock tomorrow, never been before and looks like the weather should make it interesting ........

614a099d5165465ca2a9f4a753f95c77.png

Associate
Off to Cannock tomorrow, never been before and looks like the weather should make it interesting ........

Am off to Cannock for my first ever ride there on the 28th Jan. Could you let me know what it's like and how its riding please? If it's crap, I'll see if I can try and persuade my mate to give Chick Sands a go instead :D

Associate
Can anyone recommend anywhere else in the Midlands area that's got some decent trails please?

I've ridden Chick Sands and know about Cannock Chase, but what else is there in the area? Bear in mind I'm riding a Whyte 905 hardtail and am gently easing myself back into the sport after a 7 year absence.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend anywhere else in the Midlands area that's got some decent trails please?

I've ridden Chick Sands and know about Cannock Chase, but what else is there in the area? Bear in mind I'm riding a Whyte 905 hardtail and am gently easing myself back into the sport after a 7 year absence.

Clent Hills, Malvern Hills, Carding Mill Valley.

Soldato
It was probably not the best day for a first ride - the rain has taken its toll with some washing out of some of the trail and some quite deep, water filled, potholes

Quite a misty and damp day also

1dd91c8500a247e3ac685091d6399793.png

That said, its a good mix of (the inevitable) fire road climbs, forest climbs, some technical (but not too technical) ascents and descents with some fast flowy bits too

I enjoyed it and will be going back - hopefully on a slightly drier day.

£4 (coins only) parking at the main trail centre and a great sausage and cheese sandwich afterwards :D

Only real downer of the day was the driver and organiser misjudged a relatively small drop off on a down section, OTBd and went shoulder first into a tree

Dislocated shoulder and broken shoulder blade - hes on his way to A&E (After driving back to Manchester:D) to get the shoulder popped back in then possible emergency surgery on his broken blade - ouch !

I should also qualify the above opinion with me being very much a FMIL amateur and very much out of shape after over-indulging over the Christmas period :p

Soldato
Fitted the Fox Transfer Kashima to the Production Shan. OmmmmGer, what a difference! So easy to use and quickly adapt.

However, since going 1x11, I sometimes find myself phantom reaching for the 2x/3x lever, now, if I phantom reach, I find the dropper lever. The outcome is slightly more unexpected :D

Associate
I christened my Cube Stereo 140 on Wednesday taking part in a MTBXC Race... Bike was 4 days old (Still Virgin)...

Half way round my second lap my pedal started feeling a bit strange so i stopped to check it... as i pulled the pedal it came off in my hand... Must have hit something and jarred it pretty bad as it had managed to strip all the thread from the Crank Arm :(

£130 for a replacement :( sad times.

This is going to become a very expensive hobby :D

Soldato
There's no way you'd strip a brand new pedal thread through normal riding. Did you build the bike yourself or get it from a shop? I'd guess the pedal wasnt fitted properly.

Caporegime
I christened my Cube Stereo 140 on Wednesday taking part in a MTBXC Race... Bike was 4 days old (Still Virgin)...

Half way round my second lap my pedal started feeling a bit strange so i stopped to check it... as i pulled the pedal it came off in my hand... Must have hit something and jarred it pretty bad as it had managed to strip all the thread from the Crank Arm :(

£130 for a replacement :( sad times.

This is going to become a very expensive hobby :D

You can get XT cranks for £80 on wiggle dude. (well minus £20)

Such bad luck there.

Associate
There's no way you'd strip a brand new pedal thread through normal riding. Did you build the bike yourself or get it from a shop? I'd guess the pedal wasnt fitted properly.

Bought the bike from a shop in the uk, bought the pedals separate. Both pedals were fitted and tightened exactly the same and didn't have any issues with the other side :( The thread on the pedals weren't stripped, only the thread on the crank arm :(

You can get XT cranks for £80 on wiggle dude. (well minus £20)

Such bad luck there.

Yeah the single ring cranks are around £80 but mines a double so a little bit more. I was thinking going single ring on the front and getting an expander for the rear but couldn't be bothered with the hassle at the time, just want the bike fixed ASAP. Still keeping it in mind for the future though.

Also TUBELESS ;)

Soldato
The thread on the crank is generally softer than the pedal so it will be that which fails on it being cross threaded / over tightened on installation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom