Mountain Biking

Soldato
I keep busting my freewheel. I've had half a dozen now on the same bike. Starts skipping then eventually won't engage at all. Is there a robust set up can buy?

Bike is a specialized crosstrail about 10 years old now

Wheels are https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/crossride-rv0638.html

Try another brand of freehub? Hope, Chris King etc?

Also it's freehub, freewheel is what is on BMX, or low end bikes where cassette and the ratchet system is part of same unit (and screw on)

Soldato
Oooo thats not too good, just recently fitted a set of these wheels to a mates bike, looked like good value wheelset.

Cant say i've ever experienced a freehub packing in, i've seen it happen to a mate with a sram XD hub, the pawl carrier part of the free hub sheered clean off, he is a big lad like.
If you are having Hub dramas, my go to brand would be Hope, not cheap but you could pick up a used Pro2 evo/stans setup for a very reasonable price these days.

Associate
I keep busting my freewheel. I've had half a dozen now on the same bike. Starts skipping then eventually won't engage at all. Is there a robust set up can buy?

Bike is a specialized crosstrail about 10 years old now

Wheels are https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/crossride-rv0638.html

What are you doing to it?!?!

Problem is, a decent wheelset is going to be more money than your bike...

I like mavic wheels and I've had lots of them. Crossmax on my diamondback, aksium on my hybrid and my new Canyon has crossmax XL on it.

Associate
Abso-*******-lutely!:D

As have i mate, I started riding winter 95/96, and have ridden all sorts of bikes in every way shape or form except fat bikes, those i just dont get... Bike tech and most importantly Geometry certainly has progressed, as i said the current crop of AM/Enduro bikes sure are impressive, but despite what the "Industry" trys to make you believe, you cant beat a DH bike for a DH track, you can simply go faster harder higher, I'm not doubting you can make it down to the bottom of pretty much every track in the uk on a trail bike, hell i've done both lift assisted runs on Fort Bill on a Cannondale RZ120 but thats not the point.

As for where I ride, well that depends where i am, most of the time i'm between Scotland/Northeast england, so lots of "Local" trails round the tayside/Angus area, plus Fort bill/Glencoe a few times a year, borders, Hamsterly Descend when i'm down catterick way purely due to convenience.
but due to job i travel a lot, so spend a fair amount of time down salisbury way, try to make a trip to wales at least once a year (Revs/Antur etc).

I'm gloucestershire - if you ever go to BPW I'll give you a run down!

Rode Hamsterly years ago but don't get up that way much. I'm off to Scotland this weekend but fort bill is another few hours on and the missus has booked me out doing family junk :( Not sure when I'm actually going to head out this year yet. I think I'll book into BPW in Feb

Tea Drinker
Don
Try another brand of freehub? Hope, Chris King etc?

Also it's freehub, freewheel is what is on BMX, or low end bikes where cassette and the ratchet system is part of same unit (and screw on)

Thanks I'll have a look. I've been letting the shop replace them with boggo standard shimano stuff.

What are you doing to it?!?!

Problem is, a decent wheelset is going to be more money than your bike...

I like mavic wheels and I've had lots of them. Crossmax on my diamondback, aksium on my hybrid and my new Canyon has crossmax XL on it.

It's a vicious cycle (boom boom) I was quite heavy so went through a few sets of wheels and spokes till I bought the mavics. Now I think it's just the amount of power combines with the hills round here on the ashdown forest.

Associate
Thanks I'll have a look. I've been letting the shop replace them with boggo standard shimano stuff.

It's a vicious cycle (boom boom) I was quite heavy so went through a few sets of wheels and spokes till I bought the mavics. Now I think it's just the amount of power combines with the hills round here on the ashdown forest.

boom boom indeed. I really doubt it's weight. I bash my bikes hard downhill and I've not blown anything on wheels...but a hope hub will see you good. They're just pricey and not sure worth it on your bike. a built wheel is gong to set you back a good £200 minimum

Caporegime
Just get a decent superstar build, for much much cheaper than Hope. I got mine on 30% off for £175, managed a week in Morzine just fine and still running true.

Caporegime
I'll second the Superstar wheels. Have 2 sets, both true after being hammered. Don't hesitate for the price.

The only reason I'll change in the future is for wider lighter rims but that's going to be a huge cost penalty. So for now they work.

I'm no DH hero, but they've been ungracefully landed after some awful jumps and still fine.

Soldato
Light bike for what it is! How do you find it?

Canyon seem to have really hit well with their bikes (even I have one now) but I have 3 mates with them as well.

Would love a sender, but as above, not sure UK will do it justice!

Very light! Comes in at 9.3kg and feels great for it. It's really stiff and responsive. Climbing is great because of it... for what I do anyway. I don't do it justice, summer tends to see me doing lunch rides up the hills with a bit of downhill through the trees.
My mate has a Canyon Luxe and really enjoys that too.

I love the Canyons, think they're a fantastic bike! So much so I have a Spectral CF 9.0 (doesn't get used very much at all!)
Also used to have an Endurace 6.0 and currently have an Aeroad and Ultimate. Amazing bikes! :D

Soldato
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/custom-wheel-generator-single-wheel-rear.htm

pick a hub..
select the switch ultra hub for cheapness (been running these for ages, no bothers)
select the colour and spokes (normally 32h)
select the required axle adapter (guessing quick release on the specy?)
select shimano or sram freehub
pick a rim....
now this depends on the style of riding.. stans rims are great if you want to spend £80, otherwise ive been running superstars own DS25 for a while now and again no problems. maybe the EX23 for XC use? they have those in 26" black.
pick your spokes..
i normally chose sapin black (because black)
select your nipples..
alloy nipples (again because black)

comes to 154.99

edit - shame they dont have a sale on, got my front and rear for £30 more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom