***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Associate
Thanks, I had a Phillips 40" 4k before but was too big for my desk so decided on UW this time round.

Is there any decent VA UW monitors with same resolution as the Dell? I had no issues with bleed on the Phillips.

The Dell has come from eBay so hopefully the seller will agree to a return.

Permabanned
They are all a bit of a gamble it seems, you either get a good one or you don't. If you don't have much luck with the seller (shipping it back costs etc...) Dell seem to have a good warranty and do send a courier round with a replacement same day he picks up the faulty one.

Associate
The seller is offering a replacement with no cost to me if I consider to be faulty (which I do or at least a bad panel).

They won't consider a refund as auctioned new and sold below retail price and will lose out if opened&used.

I think that's a fair approach so will see how the replacement goes....

Soldato
Good choice, I got one a few weeks back, Brilliant experience :)

Well I turn 30 next month, so I could be tempted to say '#@~! it!" and splash out. £1k is a LOT, but I do spend a lot of time at my PC and it's my main hobby/time killer so why not I guess. If I did spend £1k, it would be this or the Acer. There simply isn'y anything out yet, and I don't think that new HDR screens will force these to drop in price by much...

Soldato
Had my x34 over a year now and best purchase I've done in years.. don't think the monitor has even been turned off for any longer then 12 hours and still amazes everytime i walk into my gaming room..

1080 and x34 is gaming heaven... if ur gonna do something then do it right..

Associate
Had my x34 over a year now and best purchase I've done in years.. don't think the monitor has even been turned off for any longer then 12 hours and still amazes everytime i walk into my gaming room..

1080 and x34 is gaming heaven... if ur gonna do something then do it right..

AMEN brother!, same boat but only had it since september and am truly in lurv

Caporegime
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
I have to be honest - I've never seen a VA panel in person. Well, at least not being used for gaming. Is the "smearing" thing as bad as people say?

VA panels are absolutely horrific for office work imo, text is blurry on them as compared to an IPS. This is *particularly* noticeable on the larger screens where you have a high resolution.

Soldato
Upcoming 21.9 monitors:

ASUS 34" 3440x1440 Curved VA 100HZ Freesync

AOC 35" 3440x1440 Curved VA 100HZ Gsync

HP 35" 3440x1440 Curved VA 100HZ Gsync

Think these are about as good as we are going to get until full array local dimming or/and OLED arrives :(

The Asus is nice, but no USB is baffling?!

I can't help but feel VA is somewhat of a step backwards though, in most aspects other than black levels. Plus the fact we know HDR is in the offing for PC monitors now (and presumably UW at some point), it makes me think hanging on to my X34 for the foreseeable future is the best plan. I may be swayed if we see 4K HDR10 TV's with HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz panels come to market, but I doubt that will happen this year.

Caporegime
OP
^^

Don't think I have ever used USB connections on my monitor :p

Regarding VA, it depends entirely on which panel, some are horrendous and some are on par with IPS or even exceeding it i.e. like the latest VA gaming screens by Samsung. Although "smearing" will happen when going from dark to bright areas or vice versa. The thing I find odd is that most TVs, which use VA panels have superb motion clarity compared to 60HZ monitors and I find it very hard to see any kind of smearing at all on them.

Personally I would prefer VA for the superior contrast ratio and black depth, current IPS and TN panels really suck for these 2 things. Can't say I have noticed any issues with text, the difference could be down to the panel finish i.e. the VA may have had a heavier matte finish than an IPS using a light matte coating.

IMO, the only real advantage that IPS has over the latest gaming VA panels now is that viewing angles are still much better.

Soldato
^^

Don't think I have ever used USB connections on my monitor :p

Regarding VA, it depends entirely on which panel, some are horrendous and some are on par with IPS or even exceeding it i.e. like the latest VA gaming screens by Samsung. Although "smearing" will happen when going from dark to bright areas or vice versa. The thing I find odd is that most TVs, which use VA panels have superb motion clarity compared to 60HZ monitors and I find it very hard to see any kind of smearing at all on them.

Personally I would prefer VA for the superior contrast ratio and black depth, current IPS and TN panels really suck for these 2 things. Can't say I have noticed any issues with text, the difference could be down to the panel finish i.e. the VA may have had a heavier matte finish than an IPS using a light matte coating.

IMO, the only real advantage that IPS has over the latest gaming VA panels now is that viewing angles are still much better.

I have a bias lighting LED strip, USB mic and wireless mouse receiver plugged in to mine lol!

I've read the Samsung suffers from smearing as bad as any other VA, I don't think it's any better from what I've heard. VA by nature has better contrast and blacks, that's a given, but IPS has better colour accuracy and viewing angles as you say. TN is far worse than IPS in that respect, also for colours and gamma shift. The only thing TN has going for it is speed and the fact it's cheap. Very hard to go back to a TN monitor once you've spent any time on IPS or VA.

Back
Top Bottom